AirFramerMack

New system sounds like crap. help

well i put a huge freaking hole in my oil pan so once i get that fixed i can start working on the audio again. but i only have about 8 hours of work time to finish EVERYTHING

so i am awaiting my oil pan to arrive, in the mean time i have been running my wire. its almost finished. Can i ground my 2nd battery directly to the floor of my trunk? and i called AQ they said i should be getting 32-33v from my speaker terminals. does this sound right?

ive had the same problem before, its due to not setting your gain correctly.

Unhook your subs from your amplifier.

Turn down your gain settings and bassboost all the way to 0 on your amplifier, set your lowpass/sub-sonic though.

Turn your loud setting off, all your head unit settings back to default.

Put on a 50hz tone track, and play it at 80% of your head units volume on repeat, Put the 2 ends of a multi meter into your amplifier's channels that you use, and screw them in lightly so it can stay there without you holding it.

Then slowly turn your gain setting up watching your multi meter as you do it, Make sure you have your multi meter Set to read AC current.

My hifonics brutus 2600 RMS was very quiet until i adjusted the gain this way, and did it propperly and accurately now it just pounds.

My amplifier reads 36.06 volts for a perfect setting.

Your current read-out should be 34.6 Get it right on the money, And you will notice a big differance.

Once you have this set, adjust your head-unit around the propper level setting now, So go in, and turn on your loud, and adjust your subwoofer settings, etc to get them all back to your preferance.

Also what voice coil configuration are your woofers d4's d2's ?

the audioque amp is like this right - - + + the terminals are connected inside, so you might have it wired up wrong depending on the voice coil configuration of your woofers.

we'll figure this out :)

If your woofers are D4's it should go :

speaker wire from amp - + to - + on subwoofer then 2 small wires connecting to the + and - to the other voice coil, make sure they are both wired up propperly and that you dont have some wires backwards, This would make it sound like chit and like there was not enough power aswell.

Well here are some pics of how everything is setup.

DSCF5222.jpg Extra 4ga ground

DSCF5223.jpg

DSCF5224.jpg

DSCF5225.jpg

DSCF5226.jpg

DSCF5227.jpg

DSCF5229.jpg

bass boost is all the way down, gain almost all the way SSF that is the first turn, i think around 30 I have the LPF on my HU to 78hz , the one on the amp i think is around there aswell

DSCF5230.jpg grounded to my rear seat bolt

Edited by AirFramerMack

Ok so I put on a 50hz test tone, left all my amp settings normal and turned the gain on my remote all the way up. and this is the reading i got from the center channel. the channels are connected inside so it should have been putting all power to that single channgel. here where my results

th_DSCF5246.jpg

maybe its just from the angle u took it at but the lpf looks like its at about 30. if your using the hu, turn the lpf (at the amp) all the way up to 200.

maybe its just from the angle u took it at but the lpf looks like its at about 30. if your using the hu, turn the lpf (at the amp) all the way up to 200.

x2 looks like you're set around 30ish hz on the LPF

no, its turned almost all the way up, around 80

oh ok, its hard to read those things, the only thing i can think of that would cause u to not be putting out full power (without a defective amp) would be some kinda mix up with the xover settings. have u done any trouble shooting? (ie, turn hu settings off. bypass hu with something like an ipod and a cable that goes from the head phone jack to a rca. replace fuses. turn setting on the amp to max and min postions, lpf to 200, subsonic 10, boost 0, gain max...)

~~~im gona read back thru your post quick to see what i missed

what hu are u running?

Edited by lithium

Where are you located? Maybe someone local could come give you a fresh set of eyes to look at it and see if maybe you missed something. I know sometimes its the most obvious thing you just don't notice.

that's what i'm wonderin.

You know what man, lets take it back to pure trial and error since the problem still isnt solved.

Put that 50hz test tone back on, turn your head unit up 75% of the way, UNPLUG the remote gain control.

Set the gain on the amp 60% up and put the 50hz tone on repeat.

Start by turning each control from subsonic on over, one at a time, slowly all the way up, then all the way down and see which control gives you a lot more massive output.

This isn't the way you are suppose to do it so if u start smelling somethin burnin or heatin up, turn down immediately.

We have given all logical possibilities so this is the next step.

that's what i'm wonderin.

You know what man, lets take it back to pure trial and error since the problem still isnt solved.

Put that 50hz test tone back on, turn your head unit up 75% of the way, UNPLUG the remote gain control.

Set the gain on the amp 60% up and put the 50hz tone on repeat.

Start by turning each control from subsonic on over, one at a time, slowly all the way up, then all the way down and see which control gives you a lot more massive output.

This isn't the way you are suppose to do it so if u start smelling somethin burnin or heatin up, turn down immediately.

We have given all logical possibilities so this is the next step.

have you given this a shot yet?

Edited by lithium

so your crossover is set to 80hz?????are you wanting your woofers to play up to 80hz??? You need to look at everything,

Although the ground appears ok, i would redo it all. Rcas grounds, re check imp on all voice coils, next, also use a ac clamp meter, you may have box rise out of control. you have to understand and control all variables.

Edited by bruce-bruce

thats exactly what i was thinking. i did a amp swap with my friends POS Lanzar vibe 1600 and it was WAY louder but i have tripple checked my wiring, im getting a 1ohm load to the amp

missed it,

So i take it that these are dual 4s, explain to us how you have these coils wired together and to the amp/

they are wired to a 1ohm load, i finally got them to get nasty loud today but the clipping indicator on my bass knob was solid red and the subs smelled after about 30 seconds

i was thinking about taking out one of the round ports and using one 6" and inverting the subs to gain back some or my internal space sense the box is only 5.44 after all displacement

thats probably a good idea. but it sounds like you really need a bigger box, <2.75 cubes per 15 seems pretty small. Maybe you should try plugging the ports and running that box sealed, at least temporarily