Nikuk

Multi-coil wiring

In general, Do You try to wire your woofers in Series?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. In general, Do You try to wire your woofers in Series?

• Yes
    • No
    • Whats the difference?
    • Depends on amp

Series = longer circuit.

Parrellel = shorter circuit.

That is all.

I usually go for parallel because of box impedence rise. I found out that my XXX is running at 3 ohms at full tilt, only getting ~1500 watts out of the orion.

i usually try for series, as that ends up being a higher impedence and less of a load for my vehicle...but here lately everything is parallel...due to amp..

so i voted for depends on amp..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I voted depends on amp because right now I am running only one 12" type R to my 1500d, so I need the higher impedance so I dont put to much power to it and blow the damn thing. though I'm going to be getting an rl-p with the group buy if it happens!

I wire how I need to wire. Deisred final impedance and rise are the main factors. Of course if I have no chance of getting near optimal, I always go the safe route, IE dual 4 ohm coils, 4ohm mono stable amp. Not gonna play the game with that large of a gap on resistance. Will probably make it, but I figure better safe than sorry. Besides, I'm no basshead and enjoy low-power.

Heyyy

That choice wasn't there when I voted.

No chit. it wasnt there for a reason. Thanks kent.

i added it simply because most ppl don't know enough about impedence rise (myself included), the effect the final ohm load has on current draw and which impedence is easier on the vehicle. most ppl wire (or get wired) by what amp they buy/own.

of course some ppl want a specific brand subwoofer, ie: SI d2, which comes in only one configuration..so they almost always try to get a one ohm stable amp. why? well, we all know how lower impedence produces the most power, right?? lol..

or they already have an amp, and are wanting a specific brand sub that comes in more then one configuration, ie: RE xxx, so they get the configuration that will allow them to run the lowest impedence. why? something about lowest impedence=more power, regardless of how the amp is actually rated.

so in order to make the poll more accurate, i tossed the depends on amp...if i messed up ur poll, i'm sorry. if u want, i delete it and redo the poll so everyone has to vote again.

again, my apologizes if i messed up some kind of electrical lecture, i should've asked first. just let me know what u would like me to do.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I voted no ;)

And I do believe I know where you are going with this :D

Heyyy

That choice wasn't there when I voted.

No chit. it wasnt there for a reason. Thanks kent.

i added it simply because most ppl don't know enough about impedence rise (myself included), the effect the final ohm load has on current draw and which impedence is easier on the vehicle. most ppl wire (or get wired) by what amp they buy/own.

of course some ppl want a specific brand subwoofer, ie: SI d2, which comes in only one configuration..so they almost always try to get a one ohm stable amp. why? well, we all know how lower impedence produces the most power, right?? lol..

or they already have an amp, and are wanting a specific brand sub that comes in more then one configuration, ie: RE xxx, so they get the configuration that will allow them to run the lowest impedence. why? something about lowest impedence=more power, regardless of how the amp is actually rated.

so in order to make the poll more accurate, i tossed the depends on amp...if i messed up ur poll, i'm sorry. if u want, i delete it and redo the poll so everyone has to vote again.

again, my apologizes if i messed up some kind of electrical lecture, i should've asked first. just let me know what u would like me to do.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

No, its there now.

No lecture, just trying to make folks think.

fudge it, lol.

I voted no ;)

And I do believe I know where you are going with this :D

You think so? Eh, you prolly do. BL pwns j00. But, see above.

-Nick

BL pwns j00.

-Nick

I think you'll have to spell that out for most people sneeky pete. I don't think it's common knowledge of the % of motor strength compared to impedance, although I beleieve most are measured wired in series??.. Bigger numbers equal better sales! ;)

Well, my voice coils on the e12a are in series, simply because the Tantrum isn't 1 ohm stable.

But the full range's are going to have quad banana jacks on the terminals, so I can externally switch between 4 ohms in parallel (for strapped EL84 triode amps like my Zen) or 16 ohms in series (for more traditional SET's like the Bottlehead Paramours). Just another little DIY tweak :)

Well, my voice coils on the e12a are in series, simply because the Tantrum isn't 1 ohm stable.

But the full range's are going to have quad banana jacks on the terminals, so I can externally switch between 4 ohms in parallel (for strapped EL84 triode amps like my Zen) or 16 ohms in series (for more traditional SET's like the Bottlehead Paramours). Just another little DIY tweak :)

:+1:

I'm doing something similar in my car... easiest way to rewire between burps & drivable music. I sure as chit dont want to pull out 60lb woofers all the time. :D

THiers a diffrence????

and all this time