Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Q

15" Fi Q and Sundown 1200D Install

Here are a few pics of my somewhat recent install and my brand new tint. I got a 15" Fi Q with red dustcap and BP Power, running on a Sundown 1200D at 1 ohm. Put it into a custom built box with white ultra-suede front and 4.0 cu ft volume with (4) 3" ports which i dont think is quite enough but ill be upgrading to a XCON eventually so trying not to put any more money into this system unless absolutely necessary. The tint is 15% all around (back shield, back 2 doors, and front 2 doors) and im considering a 50% on the front shield. Car is a 1999 Volvo S70. Headunit is Alpine CDA-9886..... Can't think of anything else so here are the picks. Enjoy!

0415092200.jpg

0415091940.jpg

0212091537.jpg

0212091535a.jpg

0212091536.jpg

0212091536a.jpg

0307091759b.jpg

0405091809a.jpg

0405091808.jpg

0307091911.jpg

0307091759.jpg

Any comments, advice, or anything, id be glad to listen. Thanx.

-Gotta say i absolutely am 100% satisfied with all parts of my install... (sundown, alpine, and fi) Would definitely recommend and buy again.

It's a nice install, but every time I see these with the sub partitioned off facing the trunk I have to wonder how much output inside the cab they are losing because the bass gets trapped in the trunk. IMO, it would have been louder if you had faced it forward with the same setup, and maybe put some plexi on the back of the box to allow you to see the motor inside.

i agree with ku40...how does it sound? i always see this and seems like its more for show than anything else. lookin' good though! imo tinting the windshied is a waste...tint is so people can't see in, not to obstruct your view out...and putting 50 on the windshied will def. do that. if you're worried about people being able to "see" in from the front, go w/ 5 all around, and a low strip, and that should keep light out, and people from being able to see in. my subaru is 5 all around w/ a big strip, and my 4runner is 1 on the back, and the strip and front windows are 5 and on both vehicles you can't see anything past the steering wheel

are you running that amp with the stock electrical system?

yes, i know its not smart, but i had no money so i keep it turned down alot... but i did upgrade wiring to 0 gauge

It's a nice install, but every time I see these with the sub partitioned off facing the trunk I have to wonder how much output inside the cab they are losing because the bass gets trapped in the trunk. IMO, it would have been louder if you had faced it forward with the same setup, and maybe put some plexi on the back of the box to allow you to see the motor inside.

this is what i planned on doing... it sounds good now and gets pretty loud but i know there is definately more. also never thought of the plexi glass! thats a great idea... could i just take off the back and replace it with plexi? or would i need to re build a box?

i agree with ku40...how does it sound? i always see this and seems like its more for show than anything else. lookin' good though! imo tinting the windshied is a waste...tint is so people can't see in, not to obstruct your view out...and putting 50 on the windshied will def. do that. if you're worried about people being able to "see" in from the front, go w/ 5 all around, and a low strip, and that should keep light out, and people from being able to see in. my subaru is 5 all around w/ a big strip, and my 4runner is 1 on the back, and the strip and front windows are 5 and on both vehicles you can't see anything past the steering wheel

well it sounds great but i expect there is def some output left to gain... thats why this weekend or next i had planned to flip the box and see how it sounds... if i like it more id probably try the plexi idea....

also the tint on the shield is for a few reasons... 1) blocks out UV rays 2) blocks out heat so all windows owould keep it out therefore the car being farrr cooler 3) people not see in as well and 4) keep sunglight out the front so the front two windows would be darker... right now the back two are a tad darker because the light frmo the windshield doesnt get through to the back... 50% also isnt to dark so it shouldnt pose much of a problem of me seeing out.

anyone here ever tint the front windshield??

It is illegal as far as I know. So you may get a ticket.

Man that looks great! I will second the idea of facing the sub forward and sealing it off from the trunk though. You will notice a substantial difference in output.

well it sounds great but i expect there is def some output left to gain... thats why this weekend or next i had planned to flip the box and see how it sounds... if i like it more id probably try the plexi idea....

also the tint on the shield is for a few reasons... 1) blocks out UV rays 2) blocks out heat so all windows owould keep it out therefore the car being farrr cooler 3) people not see in as well and 4) keep sunglight out the front so the front two windows would be darker... right now the back two are a tad darker because the light frmo the windshield doesnt get through to the back... 50% also isnt to dark so it shouldnt pose much of a problem of me seeing out.

i've tinted my windshield 35% on my first car. haven't gotten around to doing it on my current one. you can see out fine, day and night (ya bunch of babies). 50% would barely be noticable to the untrained eye.

i've tinted my windshield 35% on my first car. haven't gotten around to doing it on my current one. you can see out fine, day and night (ya bunch of babies). 50% would barely be noticable to the untrained eye.

what about in heavy rain? or snow?

It is illegal as far as I know. So you may get a ticket.

yeah so is the 15% tint i have all around?

nicely done man, nice to see an S70 gettin some love

haha yeah.. ive never seen a volvo in person with subs before.. only the 2 or 3 videos on youtube of 850s and V70s.

last time i tried i couldnt get the box out but im going to try again this weekend myself ot save money... if not how much would you guys pay for one of the following for the audio place to do:

1) just flip the box around and seal off from trunk.

or

2) do number one, plus plexiglass the back of the box

i didnt think it'd be that hard but the way they put the box in there is a p.i.t.a. to get out and they have all these drill things or something in the box and if i mess it up im afraid they wont work with it.

Sign in to follow this