XxRobxX

16 ohm sub

i hope i dont sound like an idiot but i have 2 15" 150 watt 16 ohm subs, theyre like dj speakers, i want to use them in my car, what amp is right for these and how would i wire it? im terrible when it comes to figuring out ohms and ive never heard of 16 ohm subs till my friend gave me these

You would need an amp that either....... does it's power at 8ohm.......... or a HUGE amp that still puts decent power at 8ohm.

no amp.

well its not that much power... but reallty to spend that kinda money would be a loss for those subs... but you could do like a JL 500/1

hmm well ill look into that thanks

The 8ohm amp is only going to be found in Home Audio applications.

The big amp..... is like the DD Z2's, SS 10k, Kicker Warhorse, the Fosgate 15k, things like that ALL above 16Volt

what if i have like a 2 channel 1500 wat amp?

It would need to do power at 8ohm...... which is REALLY high for car audio applications.

Take the Sundown 3000, does 800 at 4ohm....... and probably 400 or less at 8ohm

the 500/1 would be 500 watts at 12 volts and 8 ohms.

I'd look into something like the pg tantrums that put out their power from 1-4ohm or whatever it was. They'll still put out a bit of power at the higher ohms plus their fantastic amps and flexible for when you want to get better subs.

the 500/1 would be 500 watts at 12 volts and 8 ohms.

I totally forgot about JL. :Doh:

Those are going to need a MONSTROUS box most likely and may not work at all for that reason. Add that to the fact that getting an amp that does power at that impedance is going to cost you extra, you may be better off (cheaper) buying new subs.

Yeah those things generally do need huge boxes. That's how they can be so loud with such little power.

I don't know what Bassahaulic is talking about with 15,000 watt amps. There's no reason for those. All you need is a 150 x 2 at 4 ohm, class AB amp. Those normally do 600 x 1 bridged at 4 ohms, which would be 300 x 1 bridged at 8 ohms. That would be perfect for those speakers. Basically every manufacturer makes an amp like that.

I'd look into something like the pg tantrums that put out their power from 1-4ohm or whatever it was. They'll still put out a bit of power at the higher ohms plus their fantastic amps and flexible for when you want to get better subs.

1.5-4 ohms and 11.5-14.5 volts

Yeah those things generally do need huge boxes. That's how they can be so loud with such little power.

I don't know what Bassahaulic is talking about with 15,000 watt amps. There's no reason for those. All you need is a 150 x 2 at 4 ohm, class AB amp. Those normally do 600 x 1 bridged at 4 ohms, which would be 300 x 1 bridged at 8 ohms. That would be perfect for those speakers. Basically every manufacturer makes an amp like that.

I don't know what I was talking about :Doh: