Sign in to follow this  
Sir-Lancelot

Boston Acoustics Pro60 SE

I found out today when I checked my email that I won a gift card at work that I can spend at Crutchfield or Best Buy. There are other places, but they are the only ones that offer car audio. The card value is $350.00.

Would it be worth it to add the extra $150.00 and get a set of these? I also see where they have a set of Focal 3 way Focal Access 165A3 for $499.00, but it does not look like one of the higher end sets. I realize Crutchfield is overpriced, but I still wanted to see if anyone has listened to these or have any opinions about them. I would think they would be nice since Boston puts out a quality product.

I have this to work with.

60 Watts x 4 @ 4 ohm

110 Watts x 4 @ 2 ohm

Bridged 225 Watts x 2 @ 4 ohm

Plan B is to spend it elswhere and get the wife some black rocking chairs for the porch, so if there is something at Crutchfield that would replace my Infinity and improve the crappy sound that would be a better deal for me since I have the gift card. If not, I will get one of the CDT sets dbjunior replied to me in a previous post and make the wife happy.

Thanks in advance.

I liked the pro 60's I've heard, they weren't SE's though. I'd say go for them looked like crutchfield is giving away a deadening kit with it also.

Yup, forgot to add they are indeed giving away Dynamat door kits.

How were the highs Bromo? I am after a smooth high, just the opposite of the Infinity Refrence I have now.

It has been quite awhile since I've heard them, but from what I can remember they were a really strong, powerful sounding set. The tweeters were crisp and clear.

I have a set of pro60 in my car right now and I love them. They are bright and clear highs are crisp, the mid bass leaves a bit to be desired but I just have them thrown in the stock location, no custom pods or serious imaging done here. They realy shine when you start to put on the power, that is when they come alive. im sure some ppl on here have sets that will blow these away but for the price i think they are a good driver

Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it.

I am thinking pretty hard about getting a set of these. Seems like a good deal since it wont cost me too much out of pocket.

They are exactly the same as the previous models except i think the crossover is high quality. (dont quote that) I have the pro 50s and they get really loud. They dont pump out alot of midbass, more just mids. They rattle the s**t out of my side view mirrors. I have them on a alpine pdx 150, decent amp not a lot of distortion so it pushes them well. They have really clear sounding tweets. I got them for $300 from crutchfield. Whats nice about them is the only speakers that actually sound leaps and bounds better are $1000+ components and 3 and 4 ways.

With the Dynamat door kit it seems to be a very good deal. Nevet heard anything bad about them!

Forget about these Focals : just entry level, the Boston are really more high end.

They're not on the same level at all!

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I am going to order them tonight. I think they will work out nice for me and the cost will be minimal. I will probably put up the Infinity comps on ebay and maybe I can get some of that back.

Now, how should I hook these up.

I have a Rockford Fosgate 450.4 - 60 Watts x 4 @ 4 ohm, 110 Watts x 4 @ 2 ohm, Bridged 225 Watts x 2 @ 4 ohm.

The Bostons are 3ohm and rated for 2-125RMS. The crossovers seem to be pretty flexible ......

Input Configurations:

Separate Inputs: Each crossover (woofer and tweeter) has independent inputs, allowing you bi-amp (separately powering the woofer and tweeter with different amplifier channels) or bi-wire (powering the woofer and tweeter with separate wires from the same amplifier channels) the system. The supplied signal bridge, which shorts the woofer and tweeter inputs together, is removed to bi-amp or bi-wire.

Single Input: When powering the component system with a single full-range input, you will need to connect the woofer and tweeter crossover inputs together. This can be accomplished using the supplied signal bridge when the woofer and tweeter crossovers are mounted together.

Daisy Chain: When not mounted together, the woofer and tweeter crossovers can be daisy-chained together. The signal output from the amplifier is connected to one of the crossover's inputs; the signal output from that crossover is then wired to the other crossover's input.

Would my amp be okay if I bridge it to these at 3 ohm or should I just send one channel to each mid/tweeter or something else??

If it makes a difference I will have 2 15" xcons ported seeing 1100 each and 2 ways in the rear doors of a Yukon XL.

Which configuration would best keep up with the subs and give me the most sound?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I am going to order them tonight. I think they will work out nice for me and the cost will be minimal. I will probably put up the Infinity comps on ebay and maybe I can get some of that back.

Now, how should I hook these up.

I have a Rockford Fosgate 450.4 - 60 Watts x 4 @ 4 ohm, 110 Watts x 4 @ 2 ohm, Bridged 225 Watts x 2 @ 4 ohm.

The Bostons are 3ohm and rated for 2-125RMS. The crossovers seem to be pretty flexible ......

Input Configurations:

Separate Inputs: Each crossover (woofer and tweeter) has independent inputs, allowing you bi-amp (separately powering the woofer and tweeter with different amplifier channels) or bi-wire (powering the woofer and tweeter with separate wires from the same amplifier channels) the system. The supplied signal bridge, which shorts the woofer and tweeter inputs together, is removed to bi-amp or bi-wire.

Single Input: When powering the component system with a single full-range input, you will need to connect the woofer and tweeter crossover inputs together. This can be accomplished using the supplied signal bridge when the woofer and tweeter crossovers are mounted together.

Daisy Chain: When not mounted together, the woofer and tweeter crossovers can be daisy-chained together. The signal output from the amplifier is connected to one of the crossover's inputs; the signal output from that crossover is then wired to the other crossover's input.

Would my amp be okay if I bridge it to these at 3 ohm or should I just send one channel to each mid/tweeter or something else??

If it makes a difference I will have 2 15" xcons ported seeing 1100 each and 2 ways in the rear doors of a Yukon XL.

Which configuration would best keep up with the subs and give me the most sound?

Thanks again.

Just my thought : bridge the amp to 2 channels, to power each passive x over!

More room for your amp, and easier in tunings!!

If you want to have fun, you can bi amp and try carefully to tune your system.

In both cases : go easy on Gain Settings