Sign in to follow this  
Booming Lex

Sundown Heating Up.

I have had my my 3000d since Feb. back when I was pushing a pair(2) of 12'' L7s. I never got hot. Just recently I have changed my subs to a pair(2) of 15'' DD 9500. Now my amp get hot. It went thermal once. I have the gain set at alittle over a half. Bass Boost to zero, Phase to zero, and subsonic all the way down. What would cause my amp to heat up? Do my subs need more power? Am I not giving my amp enough power? I still have a stock alt at the moment(I ordered a bigger alt with 200 amps). Two retop optimas. One has the main starting and the other in the trunk. I already did the big three. Any suggestions would really help.

Thanks.

Edited by Booming Lex

You didn't mention how the subs are wired.

The subs would LOVE more power.......... but your amp needs more power first. A good bit more power.

Yeah, I was thinking that I was starving the amp. After it takes power to make power. Has far has batteries are concern I can only limit myself to two batteries and I think no more than 800 cubic inches in size (Usaci Rules).

Yeah, I was thinking that I was starving the amp. After it takes power to make power. Has far has batteries are concern I can only limit myself to two batteries and I think no more than 800 cubic inches in size (Usaci Rules).

Staying in Stock class?

yup

ohhhhh ok. Then you need a bigger alt for sure!!!!!!

What is the coil configuration on the woofers? D1"s?

Dual 4

Hmmmmmmmm............... What does your voltage drop to when you have it turned up?

And very importantly... February = Not as hot outside as now :)

Ambient temperature has a big effect.

yep, i had an amp go into protect before it even played anything one time when i started the car.

although it was inches away from the back windshield and in direct sunlight the entire day... i went back there and OUCH... i knew then why it was in protect, lol.

So.. ambient temp plays great role.

But I usually do my bumping and testing around 8pm. I think I will change out the optima and add two xs power batteries. Still waiting on my alt. I know that will be a big help.

I'd say the power you are actually using from the amp is MUCH higher with the DDs than the Kickers in that case.

I traced the problem to chitty voltage. :angry22: I hooked up my friends dekas to my system... and damn. It was like night and day. Voltage went up to 14.3 idle to 12.9 lowest. Amp stayed cooled after 15 min of bumping and I did not have to turn the volume up so much. Thanks guys for all the help.

oh yeah..... I'm good.. lol

Glad you figured it out man!!!

fosho.. 2 red tops is not enough.

Sign in to follow this