hello guys, just wanted to ask if there is a benefit of changing from a 701 to a bitone? would we get a significant gain in SQ for doing such? assuming that all we need is letsay on the 701 already...

thanks.

since you already asked me I will refrain from answering, but don't expect different results

If you already have the H701, don't do it.

Don't do it.

why? could you further explain your thoughts?

Read about a series of problems with them. The dac's aren't as nice as in the H701 and also talked to some people that tested them head-to-head and concluded that it's not worth the change.

would you still remember where i can read about it?

BTW: im talking about the new BitOne released, the 3rd batch that was said to have a new PBC and new caps i think... the ones with issues where said to be on the 1st batch reported as i think the so called "beta version"

BTW: here is something i was able to get...

QUOTE:

"When it comes to comparing it with the 701, lets start with the heart of any processor...

Processing Chip:

Bit One

QUOTE:

"When it comes to comparing it with the 701, lets start with the heart of any processor...

Processing Chip:

Compatibility:

Bit One-

QUOTE:

Processing Chip:

Compatibility:

Bit One-

•OEM HU integration/ any brand

•High level inputs can be internally summed and have their combined signal ‘flattened’ by the DSP for filtered OEM component systems

Alpine 701-

•Alpine HUs only (for other HU, you have to buy the controller, which is not so user friendly)

Special Features:

Bit One-

•has Advanced Dynamic EQ process that changes output curves between low and high volume

•Two S/PDIF digital inputs, one coaxial, one Toslink Optical

Alpine 701-

•Dolby 5.1 (if its just the center channel issue, the Bit One can reconstruct center channel and subwoofer channels as well in stereo input. But who really uses a center channel?)

Just to clear up the "differences" you listed:

Both D/A chips are fine and beyond your hearing to tell the difference.

OEM HU integration is only valid if you want to do that.

I'd never use High level inputs

The Alpine touchscreen is a HUGE advantage as you have control all the time. To get that with a PC based system you need a carputer.

Dynamic eq is a great idea, not sure how much time I'd have to set it up right to truly utilize it though. In particular when typically I change volume based on noise floor changes in the vehicle due to road conditions and the road condition change is not always the same. far from it in fact.

Two digital inputs isn't useful if you don't have two sources. Hell a single one in a car with a headunit that manages the rest is better and more seamless if you ask me.

5.1 is ridiculously stupid in a car and is not an advantage.

Dynamic eq kinda scares me. Honestly.

After spending ~20hours in a car with H701 + D100 and seeing how easy it is to make adjustments I'm sold on that setup option.

Just my 2 cents.

I read about the problems with the Bit one on diyma. Spent some time reasearching with a friend who wanted to make the same switch as you.

In particular in a car....

If you are still young your hearing *might* approach 20kHz, obviously extending to the Nyquist beyond there could have some benefit but beyond isn't really necessary.

As for bit resolution, a bit of study on the capability of your ear to resolve will cue you in to what would be important here.

Brighter/Fuller/Darker are strange subjectivee terms that are colorations to the actual sound and artifacts to the original recording. Personally an accurate reproduction is what I would look for and attribute all other differences to altering the original signal in some way which could be heard as beneficial; however, I don't buy into that.

HT sound is unrelated to bits or floating etc. It is a chosen coloration to fit a market niche.