lilwhteranger

small enclosures for 12's, but have no excursion

aight. i have 3 12" california profiles. i have 3 custom 1/2 mdf wood boxes. there in a ranger single cab. i have 2 behind the seats and one where the center floor console/ cup holders were. i dont have the exact specs but there .40-.50 cu. ft. of airspace for each. the subs need 1.25 cu. ft. of airspace, but there just temporary till i get sum new ones. well my question is..they really dont have any excursion at all. they really bump but dont really move. i figured its cuz of the super small boxes. and probally cuz i didn't put any poly fill in em.or maybe cuz there low rated subs, they have like 50 rms and 350 watts peak but if i get sum 12" kicker cvr's or even some shallow mount 12" kicker cvts or sumthing like that, will they have the same issue with excursion? it sucks having a single cab truck, cuz u cant do a big system.

Just go with a single 10'' ported. I've been stuffing subs behind the seats of my reg cab ranger for 5.5yrs and a single 10'' ported in the optimal box is much louder and sounds better than a few 12s in boxes that are way too small.

If they sound good, i wouldn't think it matters how much they move. What kind of subs?

Edited by DeepSubBoy

this is like my 3rd system. ive had 10's for a couple of years. i liked em alot but wasn't enough.lol.

1.) 2 10" rockford p1's

2.)2 10" kicker comps

3.) and now 3 12" california profiles

the 3 12's sounded really good, but one went out right away cuz of a bad voice coil wire. i just blew it off cuz i didn't want to pull it out and fix it. so i bumped to 2 12's for bout a week then just the other day young jeezy finished the second one behind the seat. so all i got now is a single 12 up front. im lookin for sum 12's that have more power and that dont require alot of airspace. so kicker cvr's or cvts r wat id like next.

this is like my 3rd system. ive had 10's for a couple of years. i liked em alot but wasn't enough.lol.

1.) 2 10" rockford p1's

2.)2 10" kicker comps

3.) and now 3 12" california profiles

the 3 12's sounded really good, but one went out right away cuz of a bad voice coil wire. i just blew it off cuz i didn't want to pull it out and fix it. so i bumped to 2 12's for bout a week then just the other day young jeezy finished the second one behind the seat. so all i got now is a single 12 up front. im lookin for sum 12's that have more power and that dont require alot of airspace. so kicker cvr's or cvts r wat id like next.

Have you looked at the SSA Dcons? They work quite well in smaller ported boxes.

ya i actually did. im considering it. but before i put 3 12's in i was gonna do 2 8" kicker l7's/ and when i heard that the super 8" dcon was comin out id get those if they were priced pretty good. the l7's are crazy. but id get 3 8's. i got sealed boxes not ported.

Edited by lilwhteranger

I'd venture to say you haven't tried enough/any good tens to come to the conclusion that tens aren't enough....Thorshammer is hitting like 150 on music with two tens.

I'd venture to say you haven't tried enough/any good tens to come to the conclusion that tens aren't enough....Thorshammer is hitting like 150 on music with two tens.

:ehh: Incredible.

wat kind of 10's were they. and wat kind of box were they in. its alot different in a single cab ranger. my old 10's really hit. i loved em. but after awhile i get bored with em and do sumthing else. it sounds stupid but thats just how i am.

yea but he's runnin 10,000w of amplifier power too.

IF you have small air space, do NOT EVER go with Kicker square subs, any series. They require very large amounts of air space and is not what you are looking for.

Most circular 10s that you will find featured by companies that are supported here will do well in around 1cuft. 1 cube should be fine for most 10s.

dance of the gator FTW ;)

:dance: Dance gator, dance!

yea but he's runnin 10,000w of amplifier power too.

IF you have small air space, do NOT EVER go with Kicker square subs, any series. They require very large amounts of air space and is not what you are looking for.

Most circular 10s that you will find featured by companies that are supported here will do well in around 1cuft. 1 cube should be fine for most 10s.

Haha true, he is running an ungodly amount of power to them :)

go with 10" phoenix gold rsdc's. They require 0.2-0.382cuft in sealed enclosures. And 0.368-0.81cuft in ported enclosures.

just get a good, solid 10 or 2 8's and put it in an optimal enclosure. better then spending money on 3 12's only to get the result of 1 10

EDIT: and to your original comment about excursion, its probably a combination of small sealed boxes, the amount of power you are feeding them and the subs themselves not being capable of very much excursion

Edited by Solid_State13

EDIT: and to your original comment about excursion, its probably a combination of small sealed boxes, the amount of power you are feeding them and the subs themselves not being capable of very much excursion

x2

juice0723 wats the mounting depth on the 10" phoenix golds? the 8" kicker l7 requires .33 cu.ft of air and the 10" l7 requires .66 in a sealed box. just to let u kno. its not like they need a full 1. cu. ft.

there are pros and cons to limiting excursion.

You can limit excursion greatly by retuning the box so that the tuning frequency IS the peak frequency of the car. This is the best way but a major con if lowering excursion in high powered setups is less excursion = quicker heat buildup.

The problem though is if you are running music in a box tuned like this, it won't help so a combination of smaller enclosure and tuning the box at a frequency that would normally reach xmech would help greatly.

ahhh... profiles.... back in the day my buddy ran 4 of the "baja" profiles... sounded better than expected but he ran them in 1 cube each in his little tracer... those woofers have NO excursion.. it's like 6mm or something like that.... I don't really remember..

**go with a single 10" sub or even a single square 8 if your stuck on kicker.. I've ran several single 8 and 10 setups in S-10's and they sounded great... I can't imagine that the ranger's would be any different..

***and for the other argument. I've personally done 151db sealed on the dash (street class) with a pair of 10's and roughly 3000 watts ;)

proof.... look for Bill Johnson --- http://www.slapshow.com/archives/05results/06-18-05ILdb.html

two diamond audio D610's and two soundstream EGA1700d's strapped running 1 ohm.

juice0723 wats the mounting depth on the 10" phoenix golds? the 8" kicker l7 requires .33 cu.ft of air and the 10" l7 requires .66 in a sealed box. just to let u kno. its not like they need a full 1. cu. ft.

Mounting depth is 5.8".