MattB

Applying second skin liquid

ANyone done this? How much of a pita is it? Seems like that schutz gun would get it everywhere.

MattB

Ive done it, not a PITA really. Just spend your time masking it all off.

The gun does overspray but its SO MUCH faster than applying it with a brush. Plus, it leaves a cool texture on the surface, kinda like bed liner.

DO NOT GET THE SLUDGE!

The SLudges is VERY hard to work with. That's all on that.

As for liquid versus mat, each one has a specific application. The liquid will be very simply to apply and easily conforms to the structure you're applying it to, however, it will not stick to everything and won't cover holes if you are using it to seal something. It also tends to be more expensive.

I disagree with you as far as cost of liquid vs. mat. Looking at SecondSkin's products, Spectrum is FAR cheaper than Damplifier.

:ohsnap::banhim::poop:

For example, one gallon of Spectrum will cover approx. 40 square feet. Assuming this, the cost per square foot is $0.98 (b stock).

40 square feet of Damplifier costs $2.12 per square foot (b stock as well). (That is not including shipping costs for either product.)

Liquid takes more time to apply than mat, (due to prep time) but its half the cost, and the deadening results are significantly better than mat.

If you get the spray gun, application is a snap. Painting it on (either Sludge or Spectrum) is a royal PITA. Painting/spreading is more time consuming in my experience, and (if the panel is exposed ie. trunk lid) the results are sloppy looking. The undercoating gun works pretty well with this stuff, just be sure you thin out the product with a bit of water.

I'll post some pics of my trunk deadening project, so you can see how much BETTER it looks than mat. (They are all about 3MB images each, so I will resize them and upload them sometime next week.)

If you have any more questions/comments/rants feel free to hit me up on AIM: effendi187

P.S. Psycho72 I noticed you are in the LA area. I still have a gallon of Spectrum left, so if you need some deadening done, hit me up.

Notice I said it TENDS to be more expensive. I was not wholly referring tro SS in general.

......I noticed you are in the LA area. I still have a gallon of Spectrum left, so if you need some deadening done, hit me up.

Right next to LAX. I am still shopping for my caprice (or 93 fleetwood if I can't find a decent 9c1) but once I get it and sell my current car I plan on removing the caprices interior and doing the whole thing as well as my trunk and maybe even the inside of the interior panels. Do you have the gun and compressor? Where are you at?

I do have the gun and a compressor. I am near Six Flags Magic Mountain (Santa Clarita Valley).

Let me know if you come across a good deal for a Caprice or Fleetwood as well. That will be my next vehicle. ;)

well, after i get my sub stage i will probably need some dampening. i really do need it now, all i have done is sealed my doors with "Great Stuff" for my componets. well sealed them from the outside, all that keeps the back waves form the interior is the spash guard (which isnt needed now that i have my doors sealed fomr the outside) and my door panel. but they still sound pretty good.

someone told me Duplicolor's Truck bed ruberized paint works decent for adding mass to lower Fs of panels. is this true?

im looking for a cheap alternative to most good mats/liquids. SS is probably top of the line from what i heave read but to do my intire truck interior would coast hundreds. hundreds a teen just doesnt have.

There are always the asphalt based deadners ( PnS, eDead, fatmat ect) that are cheaper than the vinyl

how do they compare as far as sound deadening and rattle reducing properties?

The vinyl will outpeform them..bottom line

I deadned my friends doors with 1 layer of eDead and there is no rattles.

Except on the outer door skin ( cheap hondas and there thin metal)

Well, since I blew most of my budget on a RL-p 12, MCD1000D, and a MCD2004, I had to go the cheaper route. I got 100 sq. ft of FATMAT stuff for $99. That should be enough to do everything except my roof. Stuff isn't thick at all, but the scions must use that same thin metal as the honda's...because I can hear myself drive over a dime.. :)