Sign in to follow this  
trippi

power ratings

I have 4 fully loaded 18 btls in a 20cuft ported enclosure..dual 1 ohm subs.. I have the option of using 1 or 2 jbl a6000 amps to power them. My installer thinks that using both amps will blow the subs. He hooked up both amps and said the woofers started smelling. When he used 1 he said it was actually louder. I think he may be trying to save me from replacing subs over and over. Will using both of theses amps eventually blow the subs? If I get 2 more and put 3 on each amp will it see a 4 ohm mono load...something like the JL w7s? Thanks for any help

If he smelled smoke it is definately too much power for them.

With 3 subwoofers on each amp you could wire them to 0.66ohms, 1.5 ohms or 6 ohms, if my math is right..

I know those amps well in regards to BTLs... how were things setup? Run them in high voltage over high current. What do you have electrical wise to power it? If you have both amps, I would run them. Not an issue with the pair, but you will simply have lots of clean headroom for transients.

With things to 11, and the settings up, I could see it being a problem quickly.. but if dialed correctly, I could see it working fine. There is no need for that much power to them, but since you have it.

One concern is that it was louder with 1 amp vs 2... I definitely want to know what the voltage was sitting at under those conditions. That one normally doesnt add up even with compression coming into play.

Thanks,

Scott

dont those amps do over 8,000w at 12v at higher ohm load?

Thanks for the tips Scott....I have (2) 250 amp alternators and (8) 2400 kinetic batteries. I just blew 4 solo x 18s so I think my installer was just trying to keep me from blowing these too, so he wants me to use just one. I blew 2 and then another pair a few weeks later...I blew the 2nd pair because I knew I wanted to switch to the BTLs. My installer also mentioned that the subs were giving him different ohm measurements...between 1.2 and 1.8..not sure if that is normal or not. He hasn't dealt with Fi or JBL so that is kind of a hinderance also. He gets frustrated when he can't talk directly to someone to answer some of his questions. He only has about 4 or 5 questions that would really help him to be clearer on a few things. If possible, can you call me at 302 218 8630 and I can give you his number. If not, I understand.

Thanks again,

Trippi

And for Shizzon, I think they put out 8400 watts on a 4 ohm load at 14 volts...

yea, yea thats right.

12v is over 6000w, 14v is 8400.

And that power range is between 4-8ohms.

Just tried calling... Ill call tomorrow as well.

Thanks,

Scott

yea, yea thats right.

12v is over 6000w, 14v is 8400.

And that power range is between 4-8ohms.

:faintthud:

Sorry about that Scott... his shop number is (302) 995- 6564 and his cell is (302) 897 -7456.

Thanks,

Trippi

Sign in to follow this