Sign in to follow this  
JEXTEL

Fi BTL coil failure???

Well i got 2 18" Fully loaded BTLs back in Oct. 2008..i have them in a wall in my maxima in a 10.5 cuft box after displacement with 130 sqin of port area tuned to 32hz and one of my woofers coils arent reading nor working..the other coil read .7-.8 and works fine and the other woofer is okay. they are powered by 2 gp3000ds strapped a 1 ohm..

What cause this? the coils arent burnt and brown and the woofers are still stiff...is there a warranty? and i see the recone is $140 how much would Fi Charge me to do the job? And i dont have the packaging for when i received the woofers so would Fi ship me an empty so i can send the woofer in?

So just one coil on one of the subs is out? Does it just read 0 on the meter? If so, it's blown. It's caused by too much power.

So just one coil on one of the subs is out? Does it just read 0 on the meter? If so, it's blown. It's caused by too much power.

hmm...wow 1 gp3000d per amp that too much power? i seems like it just doesnt add up

Why wouldn't it? You put a 3000 watt amplifier on a sub rated for 2000 (maybe 2500 since it was fully loaded). If you clipped the amp heavily you could get 4, 5, even 6000 watts from it. That's surely enough to blow even a BTL.

Does the sub make any noise? I mean bad noises like scratchy, not just bass noise.

I won't comment on the warranty/recone issues, I'll let a representative of the company do that.

Why wouldn't it? You put a 3000 watt amplifier on a sub rated for 2000 (maybe 2500 since it was fully loaded). If you clipped the amp heavily you could get 4, 5, even 6000 watts from it. That's surely enough to blow even a BTL.

Does the sub make any noise? I mean bad noises like scratchy, not just bass noise.

I won't comment on the warranty/recone issues, I'll let a representative of the company do that.

thats the thing...it doesnt make any noise its like new ..not scratching or anything! thats the part I dont get..the sub moves up and down like normal and the VC isnt all burnt up..the spider landing/tinsels is fine

It's not reading ? what do you mean by this ? it's not reading the right DCR ?

Switch your DMM to continuity and see if you get a tone ??

BTL's are rated for 2K Base model.. with upgrades well over 2K

The old BTLs handled up to 6K on tones per test by lloyd...

Took 10K as well...

I think almost 75% of the people who own BTL's have over 3K on them each...

Unless your clipping the amp they should take the 3K with no problem....

Did they come out of the BOx this way ?

And what made you meter the coils in the first place did it get softer ?

It's not reading ? what do you mean by this ? it's not reading the right DCR ?

Switch your DMM to continuity and see if you get a tone ??

BTL's are rated for 2K Base model.. with upgrades well over 2K

The old BTLs handled up to 6K on tones per test by lloyd...

Took 10K as well...

I think almost 75% of the people who own BTL's have over 3K on them each...

Unless your clipping the amp they should take the 3K with no problem....

Did they come out of the BOx this way ?

And what made you meter the coils in the first place did it get softer ?

will try that in the morning

no i had the subs since oct of 08

i metered them because i was playing some music (not loud or normal listen level) and i looked over to notice the sub was barely moving..so i turned it up some more than noticed one looks like its moving more than the other...

so at this point i took out the sub that looked like it wasnt moving as much and tested on my amp..and notice only one coil was working..

Isn't a warranty as they simply do not break (They do not have a warranty anyhow)....every one that does break is abused in some way shape or form. We do take care of defects...but it obviously wasn't defected when you got them because they worked fine from October up until now...

Odds are it was probably a subsonic filter issue and/or a clipping issue sending a lot of current to one coil and burning the leads on it (There are 16 tinsels on every BTL, you simply do not burn them without trying very hard)

18" Recones are $120 + shipping.

Isn't a warranty as they simply do not break (They do not have a warranty anyhow)....every one that does break is abused in some way shape or form. We do take care of defects...but it obviously wasn't defected when you got them because they worked fine from October up until now...

Odds are it was probably a subsonic filter issue and/or a clipping issue sending a lot of current to one coil and burning the leads on it (There are 16 tinsels on every BTL, you simply do not burn them without trying very hard)

18" Recones are $120 + shipping.

ok good ish!

one more question how come the recone on the website is $140?

Sorry, I haven't put my new price sheet on this laptop yet...they are $140 now for the 18.

You can order it off of the site.

Thanks!

Nick

Sign in to follow this