Sign in to follow this  
bristabrock

ideas for my setup?

well i finally fixed all the things on my truck that need to be fixed (exceptfor the a/c which is being a pain) and im finally about to get off of doctors leave from my surgery and ive found a new, much better paying job, now im planning on finally installing a system! I started yesterday by buying a Kenwood KDC-X493 head unit, it has pretty descent features and i plan on using it untill i finish everything else, now i need to get new speakers, im not sure if i would like to run ctive or passive yet since i dont know all the advantages/disadvantages of each, so if someone could poit that out or direct me to another post that would be great, but i plan on having some in my door, tweeters in my A-pillars, and maybe some in the middle right underneath my dash (this is not considering an 8 or 2 in a custom made console, and my sube in the back cab) so could anyone help me with good speakers to put in, im aiming for a SQ system and i have yet to set a budget but i dont wat to go overboard with the whole thing. if im missing any needed information please inform me, thanks!

I dont think the that headunit is active so u would be better off jus running passive for now till u get another headunit that is active

a good pair of components would be the Alpine SPX-17PRO. they cost about $340

Edited by sqjeep

well in that case if i would choose to run active later with a different head unit, could i just buy the speakers and amp now and then just get a active crossover and different head unit later and run with the same speakers and amp?

yes u can buy the speakers and amp now but the amp would have to be a 4 channel amp cause of running active. U wouldnt need an active crossover cause an active headunit would have that in it for ex an alpine 9887.

on a side note u could run active with that headunit but u would have to find a 4 channel amp that has active capabilites.

if i would keep the headunit i have now would i thenhave to purchase a active cross-over to run it active, and also are there any differences with running the active cross-over through the head unit compared to through a seperate active cross-over?

If youre running a component set, just run it passive. They generally have the crossover points on components set where they are for a reason. Now if you put together your own DIY set, then you should go active.

Besides that, I dont see why everyone is so gung ho on running active. You will most likely end up setting the crossover points very close to the ones the passive crossover has, so whats the point?

Its like people who buy equipment with the intent of strapping them, like running 2 amps strapped @ 2 ohm is going to give you more power than 2 amps @ 1 ohm each.

I dont see why everyone is so gung ho on running active. You will most likely end up setting the crossover points very close to the ones the passive crossover has, so whats the point?

prolly cause were bass heads......

im active on my front stage... i can tell a diffrance... and im a bass head too .

Besides that, I dont see why everyone is so gung ho on running active. You will most likely end up setting the crossover points very close to the ones the passive crossover has, so whats the point?

This may be true. Every vehicle is going to be different though. The crossover point might be right, but the slope might need to be changed. You might have to TA the one side.

This is all pertinent stuff in a SQ install. Now if you're just looking for something that plays music a comp. set will be fine.

if i would keep the headunit i have now would i then have to purchase a active cross-over to run it active, and also are there any differences with running the active cross-over through the head unit compared to through a seperate active cross-over?

There should be no difference cause it is still getting processed before the amplifier. The only big differnce i see is that if it was in the headunit it would be right at your finder tips with a seperate piece u might have to go where it is installed to change the points.

the sundown 4-channel can support active(I think).. You don't necessarily have to have a deck that does it. Having it on the cd player makes adjustments at your finger tips instead of in the trunk but....

You can still get decent sound without going active..

I

ok, if were to choose to run active, what are good tweets, and mids to get, and if i were to run passive what would be other good component sets to get besides the SPX-17PRO's? Also what are some good sq 8"s or 7"s?

also, would the new ZED amps be able to run active if chosen? i love the idea of running their new 6 channel

the sundown 4-channel can support active(I think).. You don't necessarily have to have a deck that does it. Having it on the cd player makes adjustments at your finger tips instead of in the trunk but....

You can still get decent sound without going active..

I

You're right / the Sundown 4ch has this option : you can bandpass the mid speakers. It is the first amp I see with this option, but others can do it too , though it's not so common.

Good luck!!

also, would the new ZED amps be able to run active if chosen? i love the idea of running their new 6 channel

This is only my opinion. Nothing has been released as of yet, but in knowing that zed is all about pure clean power and that most of the amps that zed produced are not active capable, im going to say that his new line is not going to have it either. Cause an amp is made to do one thing and that is to amplifiy a signal. Having everything processed before the amp allows the amp to only amplify what you want amplified. Cleaner power.

Edited by sqjeep