Sign in to follow this  
nick_19

very odd problem. help needed

Hey guys. Ok so a few weeks ago, my stereo began to exhibit a strange problem. It would sort of skip but while fading in and out with weird background noise that sounds like a disk spinning. I figured it was the CD player in my deck, but this problem occurred while using Aux and the radio as well.

The problem directly correlates with me slowing down, turning, or making any change in direction, and it is VERY sporadic.

I obviously figured it was my deck, so I replaced it with a new one. The problem is now occurring again. I'm at a loss. It is obviously not anything in the deck, and I cannot figure out where this very odd fading/skipping would come from. And like I said, it has SOMETHING to do with movement of some kind, as this does not happen when I am just driving straight without stopping or turning. Any help is appreciated, for this is tearing me apart. Thanks!

No.... It started doing this out of nowhere. Here, I'll take a video of the problem to see if anyone else will help me... I'm about ready to just take it to a shop.... Which I have never done because mine is... inadequate.

if it's not the ground, i'd check to see if any wires going to your speakers are grounding to metal.

Here is a video of the problem. The amps just blink on if they are hooked up to the regular remote, so I direct wired them to the battery in order to get them to stay on. Here is a video of what happens when, occasionally, the stereo actually decides to play. All connections are as they have always been. And keep in mind that this exact problem happened with another H/U, so it is not that. I am thinking that it could be the little "box" that is an adapter for my wiring harness. I don't really know what the problem is. This is depressing... Here is the vid:

th_DSCN2096.jpg

lol, sounds like your deck has been possessed by a demonic force.

i'd suggest making 1 common ground for your deck+amps but it's not clear to me if this is a grounding issue or not..

Edited by Earsplitter

Ok, lets go over everything-

You have 1 amp powering your sub stage.

You replaced the HU and it still does it.

Your door speakers are wired to your HU.

Even the radio does this...

You must look at what hasn't changed.

The door speakers wiring and the HU wire harness are still the same. However, since no bass outputs at all when door speakers are off too, i'm leaning toward the wire harness...

Something behind the HU is touching something it isn't or something back there is malfunctioned that is a part of the wiring back there.

Yeah pretty weird huh... Like I said, this shouldn't be a deck problem as it is EXACTLY the same with two completely different decks... one of them being brand new. I just wanna cry.

if worse comes to worse, i hope u have a bench tester, or just any 120v to 12v converter so u can pull it all out and start over 1 piece at a time.

Ok, lets go over everything-

You have 1 amp powering your sub stage.

You replaced the HU and it still does it.

Your door speakers are wired to your HU.

Even the radio does this...

You must look at what hasn't changed.

The door speakers wiring and the HU wire harness are still the same. However, since no bass outputs at all when door speakers are off too, i'm leaning toward the wire harness...

Something behind the HU is touching something it isn't or something back there is malfunctioned that is a part of the wiring back there.

1 amp for substage, 1 amp for surrounds.

No speakers hooked up to the deck. Aux, radio, CD, everything.

Either everything plays, or everything is off.

OH ok... unhook ALL rca jacks then plug up just the substage and see if u get anything.

If you do or dont.. unplug the substage again and only plug up the other set.

Also- make sure u do not have any other rcas ran off of that HU and are just sitting in the car. IF you do, pick them up.

you must have power assists steering. it a motor and motor can cause noise on some cars like my Taurus it has a radio capacitor on the ignition to keep out ignition noise i bet there is some little cap that could be affecting this. or also i seen in the newer rangers the cd player will slope back from not being mounted right and not be at perfect 90degree flat and the disk will wobble and kinda a rubbing noise like described is made.

you must have power assists steering. it a motor and motor can cause noise on some cars like my Taurus it has a radio capacitor on the ignition to keep out ignition noise i bet there is some little cap that could be affecting this. or also i seen in the newer rangers the cd player will slope back from not being mounted right and not be at perfect 90degree flat and the disk will wobble and kinda a rubbing noise like described is made.

It happens on disks, Aux input, the radio, everything. It is not a CD player problem... It isn't noise, it is more like the entire radio is just randomly cutting out

after fianly seeing the video it maybe possessed by a evil spirit lol's it making the same sound as if skipping threw the song. i wonder if your button worn out from using it to much do you use a remote?

another thing, after u have tried what i said above, take a wire and touch the frame of the car AND one of the rca's outside shield while connected to ONLY one amp at a time and see if it does anything.

It happens on disks, Aux input, the radio, everything. It is not a CD player problem... It isn't noise, it is more like the entire radio is just randomly cutting out

how much bass do you guys need lol's is it only when turning? if so i have blown dash lights at night from a bass hit to the bulb i wonder if you radio is shook loose a small part in side

The radio is BRAND NEW and the problem has happened with MULTIPLE RADIOS...

but do not forget is it memory that is effected or is it 12 volt that is effected i would look at those two circuits very carefully. if it power is lost if it come back on after a couple second that would be more like main power if memory is not effected. could be a loose wire in the dash or all they way to the fuse block or in the radio itself because of being hit by spl notes.

correct me if wrong

wire color code for most factory hu you will need a service manual to find the factory wires

yellow = memory

red =+12v

yellow = HOT

red = ignition

yellow = HOT

red = ignition

same thing yellow is "hot" at all time for memory red ignition is switched 12 volts for power

What vehicle is this happening in?

Did the aftermarket wiring harness have a separate power wire that you had to hook to your ignition/fuse panel?

Like my 2003 Chevy s10 aftermarket radio harness had.

'06 Pontiac Grand Prix

Red and Yellow are hooked up correctly to the hot and the ignition. I'll try the tricks Shizzon suggested real quick.

yellow = HOT

red = ignition

same thing yellow is "hot" at all time for memory red ignition is switched 12 volts for power

so if you loose your presets like bass treble etc... it's memory related if it power related check the fuse block and wire to the bat ignition etc...

'06 Pontiac Grand Prix

Red and Yellow are hooked up correctly to the hot and the ignition. I'll try the tricks Shizzon suggested real quick.

they most likely are with the great people on here. but a lose wire can do the same thing on the circuits i said measure with a dmm in volt mode and try to get the power to cut out as if doing it the way you did it before.

Edited by sadistic_customs