Sign in to follow this  
lt1jerome

Is my sub blown?

Well here's the story, I purchased this sub off my cousin who said that it was originally a RE 18 that he blew then he sent it to FI to be rebuilt with soft parts(not sure what this is). I then purchased a SAE 1200d to power it. Once I got everything installed I had no sound out of the sub, so I started troubleshooting the best of my abilities. I still couldn't get it workin so I took it to a audio shop who said he tested the system and it was the sub that was bad, he was unable to tell me why. I'm not sure what he did to test it so I hooked up a speaker I had layin around and it worked.

After looking through some threads on here I found a topic on some things I can do to check the sub, such as inspect the magnet, coil, and the leads. I found nothing be be burnt or cracked. Someone suggested to push on the center of the sub to hear any rubbing. I pushed on the center and it didn't move at all. It was totally solid.

So I guess the only thing for me to do is order a recone kit. What do I need to know when ordering something like this. Pics Below

Sorry for rambling on

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4443/1010419.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2695/1010420.jpg.

you can check the leads with a dmm to see if the coils are good

great place to start :)

great place to start :)

Indeed. But if you can't even push down on the cone, there's a 99% chance it's blown. It seems your cousin wasn't totally straightforward with you.

When I check it with a multimeter, what reading I'm i looking for and what setting should the meter be set to.

resistance, and it should read alittle under the nominal # for each coil. for example if the sub was a dual 4 ohm each coil should read a resistance of like 3.X ohm.