Sign in to follow this  
leon007

i wonder

i have been on this forum and looking around at other guys cars/trucks. they all seem to get one subwoofer say a 12/15 inch woofer and on the videos they are flexing like crazy the roof of the car the trunk side windows and so on. they put a 2000-3000 watt sundown on it what im getting at why not get woofers that take less watts like 4 or 8 subwoofers that take lets say 150-200 watts rms per subwoofer and use less watts from your amp and your alternator and that should get way more output from like 1100 watts from your amp then getting a big 3500 watt monster that will pull 350 amps on one subwoofer and make your volts drop in low 11s im not trying to start a war just asking :chat:

pic fail....?

And to answer your question, it is generally more impressive to get more sound from fewer woofers.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

i have ur answer-

IT's because people want to impress with a single sub, dont have the room for multiple subs or dont want to take up that much room for multi subs, or have NO CLUE about power compression.

You pick one as those are the reasons why.

Me, i like to get as much cone area to fit first, then work on the volume available, then decide how much power i am willing to supply.

i have ur answer-

IT's because people want to impress with a single sub, dont have the room for multiple subs or dont want to take up that much room for multi subs, or have NO CLUE about power compression.

You pick one as those are the reasons why.

Me, i like to get as much cone area to fit first, then work on the volume available, then decide how much power i am willing to supply.

i was talking with mtx the other day on the chat setup they have. i told the guy i had 8 roockford fosgate phase 1 12s in about 15.5 cub box with port that rockford gave me . he told me that if i got three 15 9500 would out do my subwoofers by about 6 db. first my alternator could keep up then a amp that would have to put at at least 1000 watts per sub! my box would have to be made right! all that would have to come in play before those three 15s could come close to my output and im only doing 1100 watts and my volts dont go lower then 12.8 cranking it hard :chat:

pic fail....?

And to answer your question, it is generally more impressive to get more sound from fewer woofers.

how would you get more sound from one 15 inch. that thing could jump out 40mm one way how is it going to out do 4 12inch subwoofers or 8 12 inch subwoofers. i understand being cool and being loud with one subwoofer but you can only do so much with one subwoofer! :chat:

Have you not heard of alan dante? He hit 180+ deebeez with 1 18

well, honestly, i may have to lean towards MTX with this one on many levels.

The 12s you chose to compare to their 9500s are not a good comparison.

Just going my paper work theory-

8 12" RF SD spec is - 4320

3 MTX 15" SD spec is - 2601

So, RF may have them on surface area... but excursion levels, MTX wins majorly in this area.

While it is true that excursion may not play a huge role in SPL output, it does in low end output.

For daily use, i would not wanna be caught playin a sub or a set of subs with only a 9mm xmax.

The MTXs have just over 25mm and with a 4" voice coil, they would dominate in the low end area.

Finally, look at power- 8 RF 12s = 1,200w

3 MTX 15s = 3,000w.

It takes a doubling of cone area or power to achieve a 3db gain so by going by this theory, look-

RF wins in surface area by 61% so lets say they are up by 1.7db

But, mtx is 2.5x higher in power so - now mtx is up by 1.5db over RF.

Adding the fact that with mtx's higher excursion capability for low end music will achieve higher numbers... i wouldnt expect a 6db gain. hopefully more than just 1.5db gain but not 6.

Paper work theory is pointless until you have experience in real world scenarios.

You cant tell someone how much they will gain db-wise... that's retarded. Paper work guessing can tell u but people dont get louder by looking at numbers on a paper.

Have you not heard of alan dante? He hit 180+ deebeez with 1 18

thats on a mic im talking about daily beating down the street! when your car is on and not just playing your music for 15 sec then turn off . it comes down to what car/truck its in and if the subwoofers are in your trunk or right behind your head and have been sealed off from back of car/truck! one 18 in a geo metro will bang look at the space you have very small car. :chat:

well, honestly, i may have to lean towards MTX with this one on many levels.

The 12s you chose to compare to their 9500s are not a good comparison.

Just going my paper work theory-

8 12" RF SD spec is - 4320

3 MTX 15" SD spec is - 2601

So, RF may have them on surface area... but excursion levels, MTX wins majorly in this area.

While it is true that excursion may not play a huge role in SPL output, it does in low end output.

For daily use, i would not wanna be caught playin a sub or a set of subs with only a 9mm xmax.

The MTXs have just over 25mm and with a 4" voice coil, they would dominate in the low end area.

Finally, look at power- 8 RF 12s = 1,200w

3 MTX 15s = 3,000w. i get your point truly what you have said works out good but to make the mtx push that air you still need lots of amp power and your alternator has to put out the amps for them to be pushed to thet 25mm. if you go and get the three mtx and try to run a 3000-3500 watts to them like they need to work to specs with lets say off a sundown 3500 amp and your only able to give that amp 100-120 amps out of your aternator its not going to happen! :chat:

It takes a doubling of cone area or power to achieve a 3db gain so by going by this theory, look-

RF wins in surface area by 61% so lets say they are up by 1.7db

But, mtx is 2.5x higher in power so - now mtx is up by 1.5db over RF.

Adding the fact that with mtx's higher excursion capability for low end music will achieve higher numbers... i wouldnt expect a 6db gain. hopefully more than just 1.5db gain but not 6.

Paper work theory is pointless until you have experience in real world scenarios.

You cant tell someone how much they will gain db-wise... that's retarded. Paper work guessing can tell u but people dont get louder by looking at numbers on a paper.

well you also have to figure in the sensitivity of the subs as well same power same car same amp same amp settings I gained .7db's going from 2 15"l7's in a 7.5ft box tuned to 35hz to a single 12" shocker sig in 3ft tuned to 33hz

well you also have to figure in the sensitivity of the subs as well same power same car same amp same amp settings I gained .7db's going from 2 15"l7's in a 7.5ft box tuned to 35hz to a single 12" shocker sig in 3ft tuned to 33hz

i don tknow if u know this but Kicker wants their customers to run their 15" L7s is 6cubes PER so you may have had them in too small a box.

leonmpv- if u have a stock alt, that does NOT limit the amps from pulling power from somewhere else... like the batt.

A LOT, and i mean a LOT of times, car audio will pull power out of batts depending on the nature of the music.

If it's quick hitting bass, for example, that comes out of the batt. Why? Voltage regulator can't react fast enough to detect a sudden request of current so it is taken from the batt(s) and when the batt(s) fall below full charge, the alt will charge em back up while attempting to run your car audio setup too if it can react fast enough. More solid bass hits are mostly powered by alt but even when you need more current than what the alt can do, the voltage falls to that of the float of all batts and the batts take over. the voltage will then slowly drop from this point if the bass line is constant which indicates discharging the batts.

then this is why then. at 6 cubes per, it's not recommended to run over 1000w per sub.

i get your point truly what you have said works out good. but to make the mtx push that air you still need lots of amp power and your alternator has to put out the amps. for them to be pushed that 25mm if you go and get 3 mtx 9500 and try to run 3000-3500 watts to them like they need to work to specs with lets say off a sundown 3500 amp and your only able to give that amp 100-120 amps out of your alternator its not going to hapopen. you have to have power to make that power and most ppl that do car audio dont put ho alternators most have 100-130 amp alternators :chat:

I promise you this-

While it's true that lots of people go cheap and dont upgrade the alt, this is what is happening-

the diodes in the alt when asked to output more than capable will eventually die. But until that time comes, it just takes longer to charge the batts that are in the vehicle. Plus, if someone jams for too long and has lots of batts to charge off of a stock alt, they can EASILY burn the alt up by leaving it wide open tryin to charge batts at maximum alt output.

The power COMES from the batts when the alt can't keep up... but that's bad news for the alt in the long run.

lol i get what your saying but i can run my audio loud and do it for hours and volts stay up and that makes my amps happy and my charging system happy and i dont have to worry about cooking my amps due to low volts or amps. i wish i could get a ho alt but i cant seem to find a place that makes one for my van mazda mpv 2002? :chat:

contact www.mechman.com

then ohio generator

also, excessive amperage

hard to find alts, try those 3 companies.

I would almost promise you that anybody with a sundown 3000 has a ho alt

I don't.

benhemp had 2 sundown 3000ds and he didnt have a ho alt..

but he only burped too, no music.

benhemp had 2 sundown 3000ds and he didnt have a ho alt..

but he only burped too, no music.

thats what im talkimg about i play music not just burp :chat: