CBFryman

A little Make shift Sumtin' (lot'0'pic)

Well i got my RE comps from the SIN group buy a while back and it has just been these past 4 weekends that i have been working on making some tweeter pods....well actually like 2hrs of work total each day. i am finally up to paint...well here is a look back.

Well here is the 2 molds. im not going to go into how to do this because there is already a thread filled with Fiberglass Tutorial Links Stickied.

Picture311.jpg

ya i know, the mat wasnt 100% saturated...old resin doesnt like to soak.

Picture312.jpg

Streching the fleece :hyper:

Picture313.jpg

glassing the fleece

Picture316.jpg

a hole cut

Picture317.jpg

i know, not a good mounting andle by any means but we alerady discussed this for like 3 pages in a thread and the RE's have swivle mounts so i can utilize firing them at the windsheild or at me. however i like firing them at the windsheild because RE's are pretty harsh, even being silk domed. but if i ever get it EQed then i may want to spin the mabck towards me. and yes we even discussed "smearing" from refraction.

Picture318.jpg

Picture320.jpg

I dun went muddin, but i didnt get my usuall stuff (i usually get the "good" bondo body filler but i figured for some make=shift tweeter pods id save a few bucks) and i mixed it too hot...it dried before i knew what had happened and so it isnt very smooth

Picture321.jpg

After 2 shets of 100 grit it is decently workable. so i moved up to 150

Picture322.jpg

looking smooth, so i moved up to a quick 220 before primer

Picture323.jpg

a look after the 220 and a wipe down with 50% acetone and 50% methanol. i would have used tac cloth but i figured id save myself a few bucks and steal som stuff form my chem teacher. there are a few pin holes but i am doing 3 coats of primer so they should be filled in.

Picture324.jpg

Picture325.jpg

one spritz of primer. not looking bad. a friend even commented that they look better than most of the stuff he has seen come out of the local JLaudio/MTX/Kicker/Sony Xplod dealer. of course when i tried to talk to him about companies like RE and Adire and SS and AA...he called it crap and i would never get as loud as a JL w713 or Kicker SoloX 15....we will see :lame:

Picture326.jpg

so there it is. dont be too harsh. not my best work.

not your best work :confused: , but still quite impressive. i will be doing tweeter pods soon, hopefully they look something close to what you have there.....

well if it was for anything but tweeters the molds would have been trashed the first time and redone. also i would have done another layre of mud with some acetone mixed in to make it more milky to fill in the pin holes. Aiming would have been differnet as well.

So are thoes pods going to be your first fiberglass project?

if so

well all i can say is, wear gloves and if working in a enclosed space use a resporator. and work when it is warm outside so you can mix the glass a little less hot and give you some more working time. oh and TAKE YOUR TIME. dont be frustrated. and whne laying the mat for the mold tear/fray the edges so it will be easier to form or use cloth instead of mat. but if using cloth do at least 3 layres of 4-6oz before poping them off and make sure the paterns meat at a 45 degree angle for maximum strength.

Read all the tutorials you can and tape off anything that resin may get on...because if it can, espeically when you are first learning to glass, it will.

Good luck and post some pics if you can. :)

Looks like a good fit.

Doesn't even look bulky ... I like it :)

Thanks for the complements.

Im done with primer on the drivers side pod, now on to paint. ill have pics ASAP...now i just need to mud the pasenger side pod.

looks good....i likey!!

ummm..when did kicker start making a solo x 15?? :wtf: 10, 12, 18....yeah..15?? no....:lol2:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

shhh, it was special made...lol i ment 18, sorry. there is an L7 15 though, right?

well either way it is either an SX18, or Avalanche 18 at the moment. XXX18 is too much for my parents to cope with. F'in parents. so while on the subject. Which do you guys think would be louder? say 1000w 6.5cuft 7cuft if i squeaz or make a molded glass enclsore instead of all MDF. tuned around 28-29Hz with 80-100sqin of port area.

or reccomend another woofer. SS have any 18's? im not extremely familure with their line up. multiple subs is out of the question. beleive it or not 2 15's require more air space than 1 18, and 2 12's wont get as loud and 3 will cost more. i was thinking 2 atlas 15's...but i dont have enough space.

the finsih is looking pretty sweet. actually a little too glossy for me likes, almost. i may wet sand with some 440 to pring th gloss down some.

Picture327.jpg

there is a little spot up around the top that wasnt getting enough paint, so its finish looks s little flat/grey...but i fixed that iwth another coat of paint, pretty much.

Picture328.jpg

with the flush mount tweeter ring installed, the finished doenst look as glossy because there was a 2nd light source bedites the camera flash.

Picture329.jpg

patience, the paint is still drying and i donw ant to get a wrinkle. but here is a look at what they will look like once installed.

Picture330.jpg

Picture331.jpg

i ended up getting a little wrinke anyway. oh well. some wet sanding and another coat will take care of it. it will give me something to do while i am waiting for htings to cure on the passenger side pod, which still has a ways to go. and i wont get to work on it next weekend. maybe this up coming firday.

wow, those fit in there nicely

but ya, you have a couple little imperfections in there

That black looks like a good color choice for that application. :)

that is the draw pack of paint, especially black. every little imperfection will show. im hoping to work that over. it is a dent in the paint, not the glass. so some wet sanding should take it out.

oh and for thoes wondering. here are some pics of the 6.5's...RE hase a nipple fetish.

Picture293.jpg

Picture292.jpg

Picture298.jpg

Picture268.jpg

Picture235.jpg

2000 Mazda B3000 TL

Extended Cab

4 door

Picture200.jpg

Edit:

So any ideas on the wub stage?? :blink:

That black looks like a good color choice for that application. :)

Thanks. i just wanted a flat black. that is all that walmart had, well that wasnt a "gloss" paint but was still automotive. its called "universal black" and its by Duplicolor. it matches my steering wheel, OEM head unit, OEM guage faces, A/C controlls, i may paint my sub's enclsore that color when ever i get it. all black with plexi window to show off the basket, some LED's but im nor sure what color. w/e. i also have CF acenting in my truck because it is troy lee edition.

thanks for the tips. they look even better finished!

If that's makeshift...damn ;) I want you to work on my install!

Looks good.

:foshizzle:

ahh, im up too early, long party last night :coffee:

...prom afterparties...

:djparty:

i did work up at one of the local audio shop but i could only sneek in and do instalation help...i was a clean up boy. You have to have some sort of gay certification even to just wire woofers and you have to be 18 to even touch the tools. gay insurance company rules :lame:

anyways, im fixing to go sleep untill 1:00 and then i will get to work on the passenger side pod and maybe even get them installed today. more pics are a guarontee though. :woot:

ps

i love smilies

shhh, it was special made...lol i ment 18, sorry. there is an L7 15 though, right?

well either way it is either an SX18, or Avalanche 18 at the moment. XXX18 is too much for my parents to cope with. F'in parents. so while on the subject. Which do you guys think would be louder? say 1000w 6.5cuft 7cuft if i squeaz or make a molded glass enclsore instead of all MDF. tuned around 28-29Hz with 80-100sqin of port area.

or reccomend another woofer. SS have any 18's? im not extremely familure with their line up. multiple subs is out of the question. beleive it or not 2 15's require more air space than 1 18, and 2 12's wont get as loud and 3 will cost more. i was thinking 2 atlas 15's...but i dont have enough space.

hmmm..u got kicker connextions?? :lol2:

u have heard that in lower power applications(and higher ones too) the sx is actually louder (at peak) then the xxx? or is it the cost? if it is cost, then the sx or ava would both be a good choice from the reviews..but u being an re guy...i'd say the sx...

and two 15's don't have to have more airspace then one 18..i know of a few different 15's that work well in 5-6ft^3 (as a pair)...tuned low, big power.. treo ssi, memphis m3 and m3 mojo, alpine type r and ss rl-p to just name a few. i'm going to see if the new magd2 works good in that size as well..

depending upon application, bigger isn't necessarly better..

btw..those pods are really looking good! great job, for not ur best!! so now do something at ur best..lol...so we can see that as well!

a center console/sub enclosure would be nice....hint/hint...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

very good work

lol, oh and i lie 18's because everyone thinks they sound like ass and when asked how many they have heard they reply "none" and everyonce and a while "none"

oh and i like big speakers. espeically ones that move nearly2"

ive seen an xxx18 play in person. its kinda cool to watch something that large move so much. most 18's have like 10mm Xmax if that...

the SX is sapposed to be louder by like 1dB for SPL but an XXX is sapposed to be louder for daily. the avalanche is sapposed to offer near XXX perfomance for daily plus have a crapload more low end because of the ultra low Fs. and it requires less power. I like RE but i may be giving chad a call sometime this summer.

oh and i already have a sort of center concil. actualy my seats are 60/40 split with a fold down arm rest. and 18's dont fit in center concils. lol.

Ill be building a fiberglass tool box this summer as well. not real complicated but harder than tweeter pods.