Sign in to follow this  
Dutchie.

Still can't figure this out

When my subs are playing (not on full tilt) sometimes the volume just drops. The music volume stays the same, but the subwoofer volume drops. The amp should NOT be clipping. I set it up for a volume of 30 with the sub level at +6. My usual listening range is a 20-26 with the sub level at -6-0. The setup is two alpine type r 12"s in a 6th order bandpass powered by an old school Lightening Audio 1000D at one ohm. I have a 200 amp h.o alt with NO big three. I can tell you the headunit if you need it.

Whats the voltage like? Sounds either like the voltage is dropping or theres some problem with the amp ( may be a simple fix)

Whats the voltage like? Sounds either like the voltage is dropping or theres some problem with the amp ( may be a simple fix)

To tell you the truth i don't know. I have wanted to install a digital voltage gauge for the longest time. The voltage drop was my first thought, and I'm thinking about hooking up a battery charger somewhere around the amp to see what the voltage is like back there. Any more simple ideas of getting an idea for a voltage reading?

yea, get a DMM set your stereo to start playing and walk to your battery and watch the meter...

Also, since you use a bandpass enclosure, if there is something wrong with your sub(s) or box itself, it will be almost impossible to troubleshoot unless you open the box up and inspect for damage.

Bandpass boxes lots of times audibly hide problematic clipping and design faults so it's hard to tell when damage is being done until it's already happened.

yea, get a DMM set your stereo to start playing and walk to your battery and watch the meter...

Also, since you use a bandpass enclosure, if there is something wrong with your sub(s) or box itself, it will be almost impossible to troubleshoot unless you open the box up and inspect for damage.

Bandpass boxes lots of times audibly hide problematic clipping and design faults so it's hard to tell when damage is being done until it's already happened.

Thank you. So i can read it from just the battery?

And yeah, I'm building a crx style box right as soon as i can.

Hooked up a voltage reader yesterday and could not get it to drop, and it didn't do the volume drop at all yesterday. So my guess is that it's just being temperamental. I'll get a yellow top as soon as i can though.