mbarber25

Mounting Amp on Box

Might be a ridiculous question but i'd rather be safe than sorry. Is it an alright idea to mount my amp directly on the top of my box. Never really see it so i figured i'd ask. Just to throw it out there it will be a Sundown SAZ-2000D on a box for a Fi BTL 15".

Thanks.

Might be a ridiculous question but i'd rather be safe than sorry. Is it an alright idea to mount my amp directly on the top of my box. Never really see it so i figured i'd ask. Just to throw it out there it will be a Sundown SAZ-2000D on a box for a Fi BTL 15".

Thanks.

I would not do it. It could be a perfect solution to mounting options/space but to me it seems over time all the vibrations the amp would be subject to is not gonna be good for the long term life of the amp. I'm sure though plenty of people with way more knowledge than me will chime in. Just my 2.

Thanks.

I would not do it. It could be a perfect solution to mounting options/space but to me it seems over time all the vibrations the amp would be subject to is not gonna be good for the long term life of the amp. I'm sure though plenty of people with way more knowledge than me will chime in. Just my 2.

yea that's what i was thinking also..the vibration and all. thanks though. hopefully they will haha

I think a couple of my amps have failed due to that style of mounting. I don't do it anymore.

i honestly dont really see what the difference is in mounting the amps, if you have the space to not mount them on the box then I would recommend that you dont. on the other hand if you dont have the space then thats the route to go in my opinion. Everyone says an amp will fail if you do so, for how many years have people been doing this type of mouting amps on boxes and not have any problems even with some of the big systems in the world. personally a car is gonna vibrate more than a box would, imagine how many holes and speed bumps you ride over or just beat up streets that you travel on everyday. I even turned my system off one day and just noticed its never gonna be a smooth ride wherever you go, my seats and other interior parts were shaking just from the ride alone (I dont mean shaking like loose, I mean shaking cause of the vibrations from the ride). On my next setup I will have my amp mounted on my box just like its been for over three years now, the only precaution I will take this time is to put something in between the feet and back of the amp such as foam pieces to alleviate from extra vibrations. just my .02

I mount mine on the enclosure..

The whole truck shakes when the bass hits..

It really wouldn't matter where I put them in my Ranger,

due to the fact that the whole truck feels the impact from these Icon's.

I really don't see an issue with mounting them on the enclosure.

I've never had an issue in the many years I've been at this.

The main thing I see that will damage internals of an amp are when

little tiny strands of cut wire may find their way into the amp.

That too can be eliminated by simply not being sloppy and being careful.

A solid built enclosure shouldn't flex enough to do any damage to the amp anyways.

If so, either build a better box or buy a better built amp.

I use luxury liner pro from www.secondskinaudio.com as sound suppression that i mount underneath all feet of my equipment to ensure nothing i mount might get damaged due to vibrations.

I use it on all my amps, fuse blocks, fans and inverter.

It is pretty expensive if u try to buy a small amount of it but if u wanted to, i could sell u some cut pieces already.

This is what i use for my amp feet-

IMAG0070.jpg

I cut them in 1.5" long x 1" wide. One for every mounting position. All amps i've seen have 4 mounting places, one in each corner.

If you want any of these, pm me and i'll sell u some for cheap and mail em to ya USPS.

well personally im only going to need about 4 of them or so, I was also thinking about putting some between the amp itself and the box where the feet are not at just for a little protection or would that just be overkill.

Im just going to have to find some hear locally cuz im in dallas, tx 76011 but curious for how much for 4, 6 or 8 depending if i want to put some under the amp too?

under the amp is pointless, just mount them on the feet of the amp.

I mounted 2 amps on a box i had runnin 4400w of power for a year and no problems... sold both amps and they still work fine.

I can do 4 for $6, 6 for $8 or 8 for $10. That is shipped prices.

Your whereabouts do not matter as USPS could care less, :)

When u are about to run your screw threw the amp's feet, run a screw through these first so u already have a hole to go through.

If you don't they'll be turning the entire time you are trying to fasten the screw down and you don't want that.

Remember to predrill your hole too.

I use luxury liner pro from www.secondskinaudio.com as sound suppression that i mount underneath all feet of my equipment to ensure nothing i mount might get damaged due to vibrations.

It is pretty expensive if u try to buy a small amount of it but if u wanted to, i could sell u some cut pieces already.

I cut them in 1.5" long x 1" wide. One for every mounting position. All amps i've seen have 4 mounting places, one in each corner.

If you want any of these, pm me and i'll sell u some for cheap and mail em to ya USPS.

thanks i will let you know if i need some.. the most would probably be 8 but most likely 4

I mount mine on the enclosure..

The whole truck shakes when the bass hits..

It really wouldn't matter where I put them in my Ranger,

due to the fact that the whole truck feels the impact from these Icon's.

I really don't see an issue with mounting them on the enclosure.

I've never had an issue in the many years I've been at this.

The main thing I see that will damage internals of an amp are when

little tiny strands of cut wire may find their way into the amp.

That too can be eliminated by simply not being sloppy and being careful.

A solid built enclosure shouldn't flex enough to do any damage to the amp anyways.

If so, either build a better box or buy a better built amp.

it's a sundown amp and a box made of 1" MDF that's jigged together so both are pretty solid. haha and i'm far from sloppy belieeeeeeeve me lol. thanks

yea idk guys it's up in the air.. haha i guess i'll decide once the amp is in hand.. thanks all

it's a sundown amp and a box made of 1" MDF that's jigged together so both are pretty solid. haha and i'm far from sloppy belieeeeeeeve me lol. thanks

Nice amp choice! (my next choice in upgrading)

1" mdf should hold up nicely.

Slap up some pics when you get the gear up and running!!

I hope you weren't thinking I was knocking you in anyway I was just giving my

personal experiences in mounting the amps to the enclosure.

Nice amp choice! (my next choice in upgrading)

1" mdf should hold up nicely.

Slap up some pics when you get the gear up and running!!

I hope you weren't thinking I was knocking you in anyway I was just giving my

personal experiences in mounting the amps to the enclosure.

thanks man i'll let you know how i like it but i didn't really think you were knocking on me haha.. it's hard to sound friendly on here by typing without sounding goofy.. but i had my last amp mounted to the box and the amps still fine after maybe 6 or 7 years.. but it wasn't on a box with a btl in it so i wasn't really sure.. i definately want to put up pictures and mostly vids but wasn't really 100% on it since it seemed kind of out of place with all of the other crazy installs floating around but i think i'm gunna make a build log

New build log!!! SWEET!!!

The pics people post up in build logs give everyone and

anyone ideas on installing their own stuff.

From the huge expensive installs to the smaller less expensive ones,

it's all useful information for sure.

Plus, who doesn't like looking at pics?!?!?

I know I do!!! LOL

Good luck on the future install!!!

I hope it fires up and pounds on the first try!

you definanlty have to get a video of the system when its all said and done because im thinking of getting a 15'' BTL for my saz-2000d but with a box around 5ft^3 give or take. good luck and yeah we love pictures

New build log!!! SWEET!!!

The pics people post up in build logs give everyone and

anyone ideas on installing their own stuff.

From the huge expensive installs to the smaller less expensive ones,

it's all useful information for sure.

Plus, who doesn't like looking at pics?!?!?

I know I do!!! LOL

Good luck on the future install!!!

I hope it fires up and pounds on the first try!

you definanlty have to get a video of the system when its all said and done because im thinking of getting a 15'' BTL for my saz-2000d but with a box around 5ft^3 give or take. good luck and yeah we love pictures

i'm making the build log once i get the chance which is now lol.. i just picked up a couple goodies and i got pics of everything and trust me.. there will be many pics.. i like posting so it won't be a neglected one.. check it out in about less than an hour

woot

great technique!

theres something to remember,

thanks.