Chevy350TPI

HT Towers

Jim might know this one:

:finger: j/k. I've never owned an Akai before, but I do have a Kenwood FM tuner of the same vintage...so I'm guilty...sort of.

The cabs are looking very sharp. I would say to bring them to work, but you probably won't be able to get anywhere near the output level those things are capable of. Those are going to beg to be cranked up.

just need to fill the holes

x2.

Stuffing it with XBL^2 enabled mids (a la Creative Sound drivers) and ribbon tweets would be creamalicious, although it would blow any semblance of a budget away :D

The Dayton Aluminums are a much more practical idea...although Dayton ribbon transducers would still be teh sweetness :)

Very,Very nice

DOOOOOOD!!!

Stuf d3m w/ a!! yeh c@r @l)!0 4 Evah

wow im bored...

:finger: j/k. I've never owned an Akai before, but I do have a Kenwood FM tuner of the same vintage...so I'm guilty...sort of.

The cabs are looking very sharp. I would say to bring them to work, but you probably won't be able to get anywhere near the output level those things are capable of. Those are going to beg to be cranked up.

I think they would be nice in my office. Just need to get the drivers, get the parts for the crossovers + build them, and get an amp ... as the 'ole Akai likely wouldn't cut it ;)

very purdy Steve

Thank you. I'll get on filling the holes :P

x2.

Stuffing it with XBL^2 enabled mids (a la Creative Sound drivers) and ribbon tweets would be creamalicious, although it would blow any semblance of a budget away :D

The Dayton Aluminums are a much more practical idea...although Dayton ribbon transducers would still be teh sweetness :)

The XBL^2 stuff + ribbon tweets would be awesome, but it's just not in the budget at this time unfortunately. I could wait a while and gain a larger budget for different drivers ... but then I run into crossover design, which I don't do ... just solder the components I'm told to use off of a schematic :)

It sucks having to buy so many ... whereas if I had just built a basic two-way with two drivers ... :Doh: But, I wanted something larger with a good amount of output, so here we are.

Very,Very nice

Those look sweet as hell. Give a us a budget per driver and we can better help with driver selection.

Ideally, as of right now, I'd like to keep it under $200. If it makes a HUGE difference, you can bump it up to around $280.

$20 x (4) 7" = $80

$15 x (4) 5.25" = $60

$30 x (2) 1" = $60

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.c...tnumber=295-335

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.c...tnumber=295-330

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.c...tnumber=264-527

^ = $180 + $42.51 shipping

Then I'd need to buy all of the components for the crossovers.

And, Jim (or anyone else) ... do you know anything about the amp? I can't find the manual (go figure, after ~ 30 years) and searching Google I've still come up empty handed.

Maybe I'll open it up after and take a look.

Take a peek inside, you know you want to

Take a peek inside, you know you want to

and take pics ;)

Some hella deals there.

Too bad they aren't marking down the price on Fostex FE127E's :(

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi...rt_id%%&pid=913

"Better" than the Daytons, in your opinion?

If you see anything else on that page that would work well for me (tweets), just let me know. Those 5.25" Audax drivers look alright ... just wondering if the quality is the same/better/worse than the Daytons.

I always check PE and Madisound ... any other places I should be looking? I was checking Adire's Odds 'N Ends page before, but I don't think it exists now.

The Daytons are hard to beat. There are so many out there, and so many are using them. I think that speaks volumes on their capacity right there.

Other places to look.

www.solen.ca

www.meniscusaudio.com

www.apexjy.com

www.speakercity.com

www.zalytron.com

www.creativesound.ca

Also go to www.diymobileaudio.com and email npdang to see what he can get. He's cheaper than any of the above places.

Thanks a lot, Ryan. That will surely give me something to do tonight :)

Would be awesome to get the Daytons for even cheaper through that guy. Either way, they're pretty cheap.

Right now, I'm after something in a similar price range that will outperform the Daytons ... if such a thing exists. If I don't find something, I'll stick with the Daytons ... as I don't think I could go wrong with them for that price.

It's boiling down to not wanting to go with what everyone else has ... but, since everyone is using them that equates to them being a proven driver. :D

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

y

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much to choose from.

I will more than likely be ordering from the first website ... hugh selection + they're in Canada.

Mr. Laine = the best guy ever.

I might just have these things done pretty quick here ... with nicer components than the alum's.

Let me guess, he never finished his and made you a sweet deal on his drivers?

Let me guess, he never finished his and made you a sweet deal on his drivers?

No no ... not at all :)

Josh is a good guy.

Steve, not to jack your thread or anything, but Ryan - do you happen to know a place that sells Fostex drivers for cheaper than Madisound? :D I'm a cheap bastard, if I can save money I will...

Josh is a good guy.

Steve, not to jack your thread or anything, but Ryan - do you happen to know a place that sells Fostex drivers for cheaper than Madisound? :D I'm a cheap bastard, if I can save money I will...

Browsing though those sites I seen a few Fostex drivers listed - don't know if they're cheaper than Madisound or even what you want in the first place.

I found out that I can use my old Akai amp for the towers ... so that makes me happy. Basically = save $.

Jim, I see them on Ebay all the time. Other than that, I have no idea.

Parts will/have been ordered this week. Should be at my house the week of the 27th, but more likely the first week of July.

Crossover parts are in the box, so they'll have to be completed. Reminds me, I need to go out and get a new soldering iron. Also need to figure out what I'm going to mount the crossovers on. Wanted to do two pieces of glass and have them on the top of the towers, or even mirror. Probably just go with some bullchit cardboard / hardboard. Got two pair of those nice Dayton binding posts because Josh won't let me drill holes in the back and seal them with silicone ;)

Ordered two 3" ports ... the nice flared ones from PE. Should look good in the bottom of each tower right below the dual 7's. Also ordered the adjustable drill bit to cut the circle out to mount the ports. Should be fun.

Put a good amount of polyfil on the walls yesterday and today.

Just a little update. No pictures because there isn't anything that is new. Will post boatloads of pictures when everything shows up. I think Jim is the only one who knows what drivers I decided to go with :P