Sign in to follow this  
phresh

Need help building a box for the lows

I just copped 2 new 15" Alpine "Hype"-Rs for $200. Wanna play around with them & just see what all they can do. Ive always wanted to just see what they sound like cause I NEVER have.

Ive been told the lows suck for the R so what kind of box could help put for that?

7cuft box tuned to 34 or 35hz?

P.S. NOT my daily subs...

well check out the manual:

http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1542D.PDF

It says to give each about 2.9Ft^3 of room, I"ll go with 3FT^3 each subwoofer after displacements. They say to port around 29Hz or 30Hz(the Fs is 23 Hz and the Frequency Response is 20-400 Hz). You should go with what you stated at first and if you like it then keep it or just make two boxes same size (one tuned at 34/35Hz region and the other at 29/30Hz region) and see which one impresses you the most. just my .02

Edited by jay-cee

34-35 hz is what you would tune a sony sub at. the higher the tune the crappier the sub except for t lines is always my rule if they have no x max go for a high tune kinda like sony has no x max so you tune in the 38-40 area helps that small x max make noise lol

btw jay-cee is right on. that 30 hz or even 29 is better better then 35 hertz the firmness of the lows will show up at 29-30 but will not at 35 what you could do is make a box about 3 cubes. at lowes they sell a threw wall coupler that screws together with the wall in the middle which has a 3/4 inch gap all you got to do is is cut length of pvc 3 inch inside diameter pvc pipe and see which tune you like best i bet it's the 29-30 hz if you need a pic of the couple i can get one and take a pic.

34-35 hz is what you would tune a sony sub at. the higher the tune the crappier the sub except for t lines is always my rule if they have no x max go for a high tune kinda like sony has no x max so you tune in the 38-40 area helps that small x max make noise lol

btw jay-cee is right on. that 30 hz or even 29 is better better then 35 hertz the firmness of the lows will show up at 29-30 but will not at 35 what you could do is make a box about 3 cubes. at lowes they sell a threw wall coupler that screws together with the wall in the middle which has a 3/4 inch gap all you got to do is is cut length of pvc 3 inch inside diameter pvc pipe and see which tune you like best i bet it's the 29-30 hz if you need a pic of the couple i can get one and take a pic.

I had a very hard time making any sense of your post Doh.gif . You confuse me.

I hope you are joking. you DO NOT tune based on xmax. You also DO NOT tune based on brand. Higher tuning reccomendations mean nothing about the quality of a subwoofer. ie: Audioque subs.

You should try to be more coherent when you post.

Edited by DeepSubBoy

If you want to help the lows, build a larger box and tune lower. Maybe build one that's 8 cubes for both, tuned to 28-30 hz.

not necessarily true. there are plenty of great subs that have very high tuning requirements. ex- DD, Audioque

If you want to help the lows, build a larger box and tune lower. Maybe build one that's 8 cubes for both, tuned to 28-30 hz.

If your looking for lows he is correct. Now if you want the most output 3FT^3 each and a tuning around 35-40 will be your best bet.