Sign in to follow this  
Steve Bruzonsky

High end processors VS low end processors/receivers, hardware differen

I was wondering if anyone had some objective data or even and explanation as to why a high end processor would sound better then a low end processor/receiver. I understand that subjective listening plays a role in what people prefer and that some audiophiles look at audio more as a hobby but is there a hardware reason that impacts sound quality? I am not talking about double blind tests and the side that states everything sounds the same but as of yet I have not found any objective data that would justify this night and day difference. I have searched the internet for sometime and found a profile on photobucket that has quite a selection of photo's, yes some people will know the name but it is irrelevant, I will post them below. Mods if you want to change all the IMG pictures back into a text link that is ok.

If you are going to post something along the lines of the high end having a better design or using better parts could you please post some information to clarify those statements.

Thank you.

Theta digital casablanca III

Extremeclose.jpg

ExtremePremium.jpg

Premium-BB-1796-DAC.jpg

Premiumclose.jpg

Six-Shooter-interior.jpg

Theta-3.gif

Thetaboards.jpg

ThetaCB3.jpg

Volume-control-card.jpg

Arcam FMJ AVR600/FMJ AV888

arcam-AVR600lid_off_top.jpg

arcam-avr600-internal-dsp.jpg

arcam-avr600-internal-video.jpg

arcam-avr600-modules.jpg

arcam-avr600-power-amp.jpg

arcam-avr600-powersupply.jpg

B&K reference 70

P1010020.jpg

P1010021.jpg

Cary cinema 11a

cary_cinema_11-2.jpg

Classe SSP-800

SSP800MainGut.jpg

SSP800-Board1.jpg

SSP800-Board2.jpg

SSP800-Board3.jpg

SSP800-Transformer.jpg

Krell evolution 707

707inside2.jpg

707inside1.jpg

Lexicon MC-12

smr_101.jpg

smr_41.jpg

Mark Levinson Nº 40

mark-levinson-no-40-ssp-audio-proce.jpg

mark-levinson-no-40-ssp-video-proce.jpg

Mcintosh MX135 MX136

HPIM0635.jpg

42080587rx4.jpg

HPIM0632.jpg

HPIM0633.jpg

HPIM0634.jpg

HPIM0636.jpg

HPIM0637.jpg

HPIM0640.jpg

HPIM0641.jpg

HPIM0691.jpg

HPIM0710.jpg

mcd500insidetr9.jpg

mcintosh-mda-1000-inside-chassis.jpg

steve, I don't really understand your questions.

What objective data are you looking for? Usually "high end audo" just has a great look, more expencive parts, and sometimes a more put together GUI.

I have no reason to want or need a McIntosh amp..... Pro amp will do the job just as well or better in some cases, but I tell you. I get excited seeign a McIntosh amp for no real reason at all. Same with research audio but to a lesser extent.

steve, I don't really understand your questions.

What objective data are you looking for? Usually "high end audo" just has a great look, more expencive parts, and sometimes a more put together GUI.

I have no reason to want or need a McIntosh amp..... Pro amp will do the job just as well or better in some cases, but I tell you. I get excited seeign a McIntosh amp for no real reason at all. Same with research audio but to a lesser extent.

The high end users and high end magizines always talk about this night and day difference in sound quality over basic receivers and onkyo/integra processors and since the high end does not measure or perform better I always wondered why. The high end always talks about better this and better that but they have no evidence for that position so I guess I am asking if the name and price plays such a huge role in subjective listening that people hear differences that are not there.

Usually "high end audo" just has a great look, more expencive parts, and sometimes a more put together GUI.

Pro amp will do the job just as well or better in some cases,

x2. Durability comes into play a lot when choosing between brands.

Usually "high end audo" just has a great look, more expencive parts, and sometimes a more put together GUI.

Pro amp will do the job just as well or better in some cases,

x2. Durability comes into play a lot when choosing between brands.

What better parts do they use in specific?

Better components all around, tighter tolerances, better grade of materials, better circuitry design, layout, filtering (or lack thereof), and a whole slew of other factors will separate the high end from the low end equipment. It all boils down to what your goal is as to what level of equipment you can justify acquiring.

In the same class you won't see that much difference. Either way, before even thinking about anything spendy like the above I surely hope you have WAY more than that in your speakers and room treatments.

The high end users and high end magizines always talk about this night and day difference in sound quality over basic receivers and onkyo/integra processors and since the high end does not measure or perform better I always wondered why. The high end always talks about better this and better that but they have no evidence for that position so I guess I am asking if the name and price plays such a huge role in subjective listening that people hear differences that are not there.

The simple reason is that most "high end" reviewers are deaf. They couldn't tell you two things sounded the same if one of them was an empty box that turned the other one on!

The real answer is that some of them are potentially worth the money. Lexicon, Meridian, and TacT have seriously advanced room correction, processing that may make the system sound better than other stuff. Anthem also has some sophisticated room correction horsepower. The rest of them are very expensive, and soon to be very obsolete with no resale value to mention. (I recently saw an Angstrom Pro-Logic preamp. It was beautifully built, and cost tons when it came out. It was selling for 200 USD.)

For my money, however, I'm going to stick with a "mass marketer" that uses well-engineered room correction system. My preference is Audyssey MultEQ XT, which today means Denon, Onkyo, or NAD. My Denon AVR-4308 receiver, with Audyssey MultEQ XT and Dynamic EQ, will sound better than five figures of Krell, McIntosh, or Levinson with the same speaker installation.

Better components all around' date=' tighter tolerances, better grade of materials, better circuitry design, layout, filtering (or lack thereof), and a whole slew of other factors will separate the high end from the low end equipment. It all boils down to what your goal is as to what level of equipment you can justify acquiring.[/quote']

Can you give some examples?

The real answer is that some of them are potentially worth the money. Lexicon' date=' Meridian, and TacT have seriously advanced room correction, processing that may make the system sound better than other stuff.[/quote']

Funny thing is that audyssey is far and beyond anything that the high end has and now with audyssey DSX and things like dolby volume the high end is left far behind.