Sign in to follow this  
1mtx1

screws to hold sub down

im headin out to the store tomrrow to get some stuff well im there i wana pic up some new screws that will keep my sub down nice and thight. i did not go with a dubble baffle and with my new 15inch ssd on its way, i wana make sure that my sub does not lift out. here is the thing my last sub a audioq 2.5 was jumping around pretty hard in the same box the ssd is goin in. Can any one lead me to the right screws so i will not have a issue? I will be bolting the box down better to make sure the box it self is not goin no where as well. thanks guys

Joe

You need to find t-nuts that have the four spikes in them. When you put them in make sure they are seated very well or youll just strip the wood out. Orr if you have a metal fabrication shop close by cut out a ring of 1/8 wood the same size of woofer and have them make a 1/8" metal ring with the holes in the right place so you can tap them and use that to bolt subs down.

Do i have any othere options? im goin out soon to get some stuff and i wana get some screws , what othere screws can i get?

Do i have any othere options? im goin out soon to get some stuff and i wana get some screws , what othere screws can i get?

It's plain and simple, screws fail, they WILL fail and they WILL strip the wood. Use T-nuts and bolts.

It's plain and simple, screws fail, they WILL fail and they WILL strip the wood. Use T-nuts and bolts.

i have had 2 diff subs in my box and the box is like 3 weeks old . ill go to the store and find some t nuts. is this something i should grab a few extra or i should be ok with just 8?

i have had 2 diff subs in my box and the box is like 3 weeks old . ill go to the store and find some t nuts. is this something i should grab a few extra or i should be ok with just 8?

It won't hurt.

i got some starter screws so i can get threw the metal of my car. here is the issue my trunk has this wood that is not flush with the metal . there is a outher area that has to b lifted up with a few foam peces under the wood. My box has a few L brackets and when i go to screw down the screws dont bite to the metal. i went back to get longer screws and they did not have. so i was thinkin of pre drilling and then send some longer metal screws threw. it might be more work to pre drill but im sure it will work out . if not im gona have a issue how i had it befor the box was moving up and down cuz it was just screwed down to the wood not to the fram.

pre drill and use some industrial screws from a local industrial hardware store...they are very strong compared to reg drywall screws. t nuts are only truly necessary on monster subs in a vertical enclosure or something similar. imo

Buddy of mine had his two RE MT 18"s on 8,000 watts held in with screws and they were mounted vertically. They held until we decided to take them out.

Buddy of mine had his two RE MT 18"s on 8,000 watts held in with screws and they were mounted vertically. They held until we decided to take them out.

i had no problems with my FI BL 18's mounted vertically in my wall and they were just regualr drywall screws too

im just doin one 15inch sub up ports back. i think i have drilling the sub down at this time. im a little nervous if my screws will be long enuff. If i can get it pre drilled and i have to get more scrwes im cool with that. I wish the wood was flush all around that would be easy. when i screw threw the wood there is a half inch gap then u hit the metal and when i start to hit the matle my Lbrakets would lift up .

i use deck mates.. or in my spl astro i used some screws form homedepot. i wish i could remember the name, they are for concrete.. have large heads and very thick threads too.. you should have an issue with deck mates though, normal drywall screws i have had break

i got the box down pretty good, one bracket might need to be redone it is not to as good as i would like. The screws would not go threw the metal to good i did get it threw but not all the way. but when i lift the box well when i try to lol it goes no where. the wood under the box does not lift up. i think i should be good now im just waitin on my sub. it was gona be here monday but i checked it last night and it now says wen or thursday it should be here next week. i have my box ready i fixed up a few spots and now im ready to go. im gona look for a new front batt in the next few days. when i have it all goin the way i want ill post up some vids and pics for you guys to see.