Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Charging rear batts on charger, still connected

Have a few questions bout charging batts on an actual battery charger.

I have a D3100 and a D5100 in the car. Let's say i purchase a Schumacher AGM charger.

Since the rear batts have always been connected in parallel their whole time, is it ok if i charge them paralleled together? I don't really see how 1 batt could charge better than the other but i dont know for sure.

Second, since i have a solenoid which isolates my rear batts from the rest of the car, is it ok if i charge the rear batts with everything still connected including all the ground cables ran to my chassis?

I know not to charge while car running, that's obvious, just check the two things above.

Have a few questions bout charging batts on an actual battery charger.

I have a D3100 and a D5100 in the car. Let's say i purchase a Schumacher AGM charger.

Since the rear batts have always been connected in parallel their whole time, is it ok if i charge them paralleled together? I don't really see how 1 batt could charge better than the other but i dont know for sure.

Second, since i have a solenoid which isolates my rear batts from the rest of the car, is it ok if i charge the rear batts with everything still connected including all the ground cables ran to my chassis?

I know not to charge while car running, that's obvious, just check the two things above.

If your back batteries are connected in parallel just charge them that way. Make sure you do a slow charge so the can both evenly charge all the way. oh and if they are disconnected by a solenoid don't worry about anything as long as the positive is not connected your good to go.

what if you are running one under the hood and only running one in the back, with no solenoid. how do you charge that?

what if you are running one under the hood and only running one in the back, with no solenoid. how do you charge that?

If they are both agm your good to go if not you'll have to disconnect it to properly charge the AGM.

so you need to charge your batteries? doesn't your alt do that already for you? also if i am understanding this i have 2 batcap 2000s in my trunk and one motor master upfront. to charge my batcaps properly i would have to do a slow charge to them and disconnect it from the front battery?

your alt is to keep them charged, not actually to charge them like a charger does.

an alternator sends massive amounts of current to batts and can't top them off as well as a charger can.

your alt is to keep them charged, not actually to charge them like a charger does.

an alternator sends massive amounts of current to batts and can't top them off as well as a charger can.

Hes correct. Its a good idea to top off all batteries every once in awhile to keep them all it tip top shape.