mbarber25

Got a Problem - Need Solution

if you baby the gain and check voltage at the amp with a volt meter i don't see a problem. i just don't recommend running it full tilt but if you wanna listen to it at low level i don't see a problem.

do NOT do that!

When i was building my wall, i have a 250A alternator but no battery in the back off of a single 3500w amp, it was causing havoc on my electrical system until i had put batts in the rear next to the amps.

Without something next the amps to get immediate power from, you will likely cause a low voltage scenario and you dont want that on a new amp like that.

haha good lookin out

definately don't want to abuse that amp like i do my 250

very good and useful information thats why my Saz-2000d is still boxed up.

yea so i;m getting mixed feelings on putting the big boy in.. sooo

hopefully i will find time tomorrow to take my btl out and wire it in series so i dont have to worry about frying the amp

then when i get a day off where its nice too.. i'm gunna put in the big amp and leave it at 4ohms...

but one thing:

doesn't running 4ohms make more of a strain or your electrical.. or is it vice versa?

idk

Edited by mbarber25

do NOT do that!

When i was building my wall, i have a 250A alternator but no battery in the back off of a single 3500w amp, it was causing havoc on my electrical system until i had put batts in the rear next to the amps.

Without something next the amps to get immediate power from, you will likely cause a low voltage scenario and you dont want that on a new amp like that.

haha good lookin out

It's misinformation.

it's not the load, it's pure power.

4 ohm on that sundown amp would produce the lowest wiring rated output possible.

hopefully i will find time tomorrow to take my btl out and wire it in series so i dont have to worry about frying the amp

then when i get a day off where its nice too.. i'm gunna put in the big amp and leave it at 4ohms...

but one thing:

doesn't running 4ohms make more of a strain or your electrical.. or is it vice versa?

idk

Read my first post in this thread.

but one thing:

idk

Read my first post in this thread.

haha :Doh:

it is vice versa.. ok

thanks

do NOT do that!

haha good lookin out

It's misinformation.

yeah in your case running that 2000d at 4ohms and low gains and volume would be ok, but im at 1.3334 ohms all day and dont feel like rewiring three subs, thats why in my case I looked at it as good info considering I only have stock battery, stock alternator and two amps for mids and tweets already.

Unless you are competing, the distance from battery(ies) to the amps is not going to matter. The fraction of a second you'll save on current inrush may be enough to gain a tenth in SPL comps, but nothing you'll ever need for every day listening.

Unless you are competing, the distance from battery(ies) to the amps is not going to matter. The fraction of a second you'll save on current inrush may be enough to gain a tenth in SPL comps, but nothing you'll ever need for every day listening.

I gotta agree with Tirefryr on the past few posts. Im right there with him. :fing34:

sooo i wired my sub in series today and the problem is fixed! :)

so thanks to you guys!

but i do have to say the output of the amp doesnt seem the same.. but i could be mistaken.. but no more popping o im happy :)

so thanks to you guys!

but i do have to say the output of the amp doesnt seem the same.. but i could be mistaken.. but no more popping o im happy :)

The output is not the same because there is not as much power going to the subwoofer.

The higher the resistance of the sub, the less power you will get out of your amplifier. It will also put less strain on your electrical system and you will not be abusing the amp.

What size alternator do you have stock? Why don't you just put the SAZ2000 in there, wire it up to 4 ohms, and be RESPONSIBLE with the gains? You will get more power out that you have running right now, maybe more efficiently, and you will not have to worry as much about pushing the amplifier too hard (supposing that you do not turn it up to loud and kill your voltage).

so thanks to you guys!

The output is not the same because there is not as much power going to the subwoofer.

The higher the resistance of the sub, the less power you will get out of your amplifier. It will also put less strain on your electrical system and you will not be abusing the amp.

What size alternator do you have stock? Why don't you just put the SAZ2000 in there, wire it up to 4 ohms, and be RESPONSIBLE with the gains? You will get more power out that you have running right now, maybe more efficiently, and you will not have to worry as much about pushing the amplifier too hard (supposing that you do not turn it up to loud and kill your voltage).

His output will be the same @4ohms being he's using the JL slash series amp.

As for the 2000D, we already suggested that, but apparently he doesn't want to chance it. I'd let it wang. IIRC, the amp has low voltage protection so he shouldn't harm it even if the issue does arise.

so how should I go about setting the gain?

play a bass heavy song at full blast and slowly move the gain up until voltage drops a tad below 13v?

You could use a DMM and play a 50hz test tone at 3/4 volume and turn the gain until it reaches the voltage you need for your amp.

in experience with "big boy" amps, i would never rely on low voltage protection to kick in when it's outputting some serious power.

I've heard this from audio companies\shop owners as there is a chance that the protection may not react fast enough and cause damage.

It's the same logic as let's wire a sub down to 0.15 ohms when it's only 1 ohm stable and blast it... Some frequencies may be playin over 1 ohm so if it drops below 1 ohm, it's got protection.... It's not safe!

Sure u can wire the 2000d to 4 ohms and get more power out of it than what u have now obviously if u feel like it.

If u really that anxious, go for it.

in experience with "big boy" amps, i would never rely on low voltage protection to kick in when it's outputting some serious power.

I've heard this from audio companies\shop owners as there is a chance that the protection may not react fast enough and cause damage.

It's the same logic as let's wire a sub down to 0.15 ohms when it's only 1 ohm stable and blast it... Some frequencies may be playin over 1 ohm so if it drops below 1 ohm, it's got protection.... It's not safe!

Sure u can wire the 2000d to 4 ohms and get more power out of it than what u have now obviously if u feel like it.

If u really that anxious, go for it.

haha alright I know saying big boy was foolish

I just played music at full blast and dropped .1 volts - 14 to 13.9.. so it makes me believe my electical can handle another 250 watts for now

so basically.. what I'm really curious about is this:

if I hook up my 2000d at 4ohms and keep it above 12 volts I'll be ok? amp will not get damaged.

and haha ofcourse I'm anxious. I'm running my sub at an eighth of what it's rated for and I have a perfect amp to go with it. going from 250 watts to around 500 will make me happy for now. it's hard being 17 and not having cash for the last three things I need. I don't have credit dude. my parents are my credit cards and they have the choice to say no

so as long as I don't play full blast at stop lights and blast it with the car off I should be ok running this amp at 4ohms.

or should I wait..

u should be fine, yes.

You should have no worries at all. you may get slight to moderate light dimming but don't get scared immediately. If it happens, it's just the alternator not reacting fast enough and is pulling it's current directly from starting battery until the alt reacts which is usually about 1 second.

Now, if u get light dimming on a constant bass line... then u have a problem and need to turn it down.

u should be fine, yes.

You should have no worries at all. you may get slight to moderate light dimming but don't get scared immediately. If it happens, it's just the alternator not reacting fast enough and is pulling it's current directly from starting battery until the alt reacts which is usually about 1 second.

Now, if u get light dimming on a constant bass line... then u have a problem and need to turn it down.

ok good to hear ;)

but a couple more things while I have you.. how should I setthe gain in this situation?

Edited by mbarber25

u should be fine, yes.

The alt doesn't react. It's drawing from the battery because the alt is not able to supply the current demands of the system.

to be more specific, it's the regulator, not the alt.

If you take a very fast bass beat, the alt will not even attempt to provide power for that.

if u start a test tone, it's possible for the lights to dim at the start but immediately return to a more full glow since the regulator "sees" a current demand and supplies it.

it's a lot easier to see this scenario happen with not even batts in the install.

Back recently when i had overkill reserve capacity, i could sit at idle and pull 240A of current measured out of my batts and the lights would never flicker and no help from the alternator because i my rpm was below the "turn on " point.

Then, i ran a single amp off just starting battery and 250A alt pulling 125A maximum measured current and i would have light dimming like crazy with changing bass notes, etc...

I go to play a test tone and i would have no dimming at all for the duration... the regulator sees the demand and supplies power.

it's not the load, it's pure power.

4 ohm on that sundown amp would produce the lowest wiring rated output possible.

Do you mean that's the highest impedance that it's rated for? If so I guess technically that's all that Sundown posts for the amp, but that's just because nobody in the car audio world runs subs at higher than 4 ohms so it's worthless to publish the information. But it would have no problem running at 8, 16, or 1000 ohms. It will just reduce power output accordingly.

As for putting in the 2000d, it sounds like you may have already done that. But I say go for it. Just watch the voltage, and I'd try to not go below 12.5 or so. That will put you on the edge of the alternator's output capabilities.

ok yea haha just hooked it up and finished at 10 lol

but now to really play with the settings.. so I have some quetions..

where should I put the subsonic? ideal spot? (34hz box)

lpf? it's all the way at 300hz right now. better spot?

and can I crank the gain up until I see a major voltage drop? it's half way right now and my voltage is staying really high? where should it go?

I'd put the subsonic around 27-28 hz.

Lowpass no higher than 80 hz. 70 hz is even better. But this depends on how the sub sounds playing those frequencies and how low your interior speakers will play effectively. You'll want to balance the two.

Gain setting depends on the input signal voltage from the head unit. You match the voltage through the RCAs with the gain voltage. That will give you maximum power. however, since you probably don't want to go that high with the power right now, you'll just have to play it by ear.

ok i think i have the subsonic set about right i think.. it's a pain in the ass.. you have to guess kinda where the right setting is.. it's only number at each end.

as for the lowpass.. same situation.

but it's not hitting a certain highnote.. any idea of what could fix that?

as for the gain.. i did it by watching the voltage drop directy at the amp terminals on certain songs... the voltage stays very stong but i basically have to be driving..

any tips or tricks?.. i want to get this set right since it'll probably be at 4ohms for a little bit of time :/