Sign in to follow this  
crazytexan

Quick Question - 0 Ga or 4 Ga?

Alright,

I plan on running 1100w-1200w RMS to an 18" woofer so I am torn between all 0 Ga wiring or using a 4 Ga amplifier wiring kit. The 4 Ga kit I'm looking at it rated for 1400w but I think 0 Ga would be better. Also, the amplifier I plan on using only has 4 Ga terminals for power and ground - would it be safe to trim down the 0 Ga and put them in 4 Ga terminals if I were to use 0 Ga?

Amp is: JBL GTO 1201.1II - 1114w RMS at 2 ohms

Woofer is: IA DR 18" D1

Thanks in advance!

-John

Alright,

I plan on running 1100w-1200w RMS to an 18" woofer so I am torn between all 0 Ga wiring or using a 4 Ga amplifier wiring kit. The 4 Ga kit I'm looking at it rated for 1400w but I think 0 Ga would be better. Also, the amplifier I plan on using only has 4 Ga terminals for power and ground - would it be safe to trim down the 0 Ga and put them in 4 Ga terminals if I were to use 0 Ga?

Amp is: JBL GTO 1201.1II - 1114w RMS at 2 ohms

Woofer is: IA DR 18" D1

Thanks in advance!

-John

IMO I'd use 0 gauge, then either trim it at the amp or put a distro block VERY close to amp to step it down to 4. If you decide to use a bigger amp later then you already have your wire and wouldnt have to buy more stuff saving you $ in the long run, plus your wire can never be too big, or @ least thats what she said muhahahaha. seriously tho when it comes to wire there is no such thing as over kill

IMO I'd use 0 gauge, then either trim it at the amp or put a distro block VERY close to amp to step it down to 4. If you decide to use a bigger amp later then you already have your wire and wouldnt have to buy more stuff saving you $ in the long run, plus your wire can never be too big, or @ least thats what she said muhahahaha. seriously tho when it comes to wire there is no such thing as over kill

I knew that there is no overkill with wire but I wasn't thinking completely. Thank you on the reassurance and the mentioning of a bigger amp later on I totally didn't think about that :Doh: . Plus, that is very valid, wire it once so I don't have to do it again :wacky: . Thanks again for the quick response!

I knew that there is no overkill with wire but I wasn't thinking completely. Thank you on the reassurance and the mentioning of a bigger amp later on I totally didn't think about that :Doh: . Plus, that is very valid, wire it once so I don't have to do it again :wacky: . Thanks again for the quick response!

my pleasure, glad I could help out, fig. with an 18 you may want to add power later, GL with the build

Check out sonicelectronix kicker 1/0 wire kit with distribution blocks for 120. Very nice kit with a lot of extra stuff. Free ship and no tax if u aren't in Cali. :fing34:

Check out sonicelectronix kicker 1/0 wire kit with distribution blocks for 120. Very nice kit with a lot of extra stuff. Free ship and no tax if u aren't in Cali. :fing34:

Free shipping And no tax : I would love it like that to my country. :) :) even only from ssa store !!!

Go with the zero gauge. Especially if you plan on running another or bigger amps.

I always go as big as possible and then block it if I need to, it alwas leaves your options open, worst thing is to have to pull old and then re run it in the future