2004 Explorer 4.0

Yellow Top

Big 3 will be done in 1/0 when installed

Stock 135A Alternator

2 15" Icons

Sundown 1500

Sundown 100.4

Couple quick questions before I get a alternator & everything installed:

1 - How do I calculate how big of an alternator I need? Ive seen a couple different way but whats most accurate? Also have a 100.4

2 - Would a 200A alternator and a yellow top suffice for the two amps to stay above 13v at idle? I can try 250A if need be.

3 - Anyone ever use qualitypowerauto.com to get an amp? I want to upgrade to 200A for no more than $300 if I can

i would purchase a deka intimidator 9a31, or a Kinetik HC2400 or a XS D3100 and put it in the back and keep your stock alternator.

This will see if u need a new alt or not.

You are gonna need an extra battery anyway so might as well get one of those.

i think shizzon is correct all you mite need is a battery go for the ones he suggested . by the way is this a daily driver if it is you will need a dual alt system which they more then likely do not make. if using it to compete don't forget to add in a battery isolator that you should be able to charge set up off the stock alt if done right with a isolator. just remember you only got a few minutes of play time at full strength with a battery before you got to charge it .so do not get roped in to testing your system before a comp. it should be set when you get there.

just encase you need a alt

i think these alts are better . they got life time warranty's compare to others and they come in 200, 250amps etc... see link below

http://www.motorcityreman.com/high-amp-alternators-ford-cars---trucks-explorer.html

i think shizzon is correct all you mite need is a battery go for the ones he suggested . by the way is this a daily driver if it is you will need a dual alt system which they more then likely do not make. if using it to compete don't forget to add in a battery isolator that you should be able to charge set up off the stock alt if done right with a isolator. just remember you only got a few minutes of play time at full strength with a battery before you got to charge it .so do not get roped in to testing your system before a comp. it should be set when you get there.

i think these alts are better . they got life time warranty's compare to others and they come in 200, 250amps etc... see link below

http://www.motorcityreman.com/high-amp-alternators-ford-cars---trucks-explorer.html

nice site to get alts from! those prices are pretty awesome!! i might pick one up for my 95 grand am!

nice site to get alts from! those prices are pretty awesome!! i might pick one up for my 95 grand am!

i think there better then power master with the warranty. i got a 170 in the truck and a 200 in the car and have had no problem with them. and they get alts for other cars that you can't find them for just ask and they will build them for you if they can get a larger case to do so.

awesome! thanks man for sure i will look into these guys! i wonder if they ship to canada!

So you would recommend a battery & battery isolator over just a new alternator? Why would I need a extra battery anyways. I thought it would be easier to just use the yellow top up front and a h/o alternator.

And this is just a daily system... no comps at all

So you would recommend a battery & battery isolator over just a new alternator? Why would I need a extra battery anyways. I thought it would be easier to just use the yellow top up front and a h/o alternator.

idk wtf sadistc is talking about ... u dont need 2 alternators ... you should be fine with just a second battery (preferably one that shawn suggested) ... you need a second battery because at idle your alt will not produce enough current to ur amp ... if u get a second battery it will support ur amp for a longer period of time and ur voltage will not drop as much

idk wtf sadistc is talking about ... u dont need 2 alternators ... you should be fine with just a second battery (preferably one that shawn suggested) ... you need a second battery because at idle your alt will not produce enough current to ur amp ... if u get a second battery it will support ur amp for a longer period of time and ur voltage will not drop as much

Then why not just get a bigger alternator. I thought i read it a million times that would be best in the long run over a battery because i a battery cant produce power? I dont want to put strain on my alternator if I dont need to.

& i didnt pay the dual alternator for 2000 watts MAX idea any mind. Lol

Edited by phresh

Then why not just get a bigger alternator. I thought i read it a million times that would be best in the long run over a battery because i a battery cant produce power? I dont want to put strain on my alternator if I dont need to.

usually the bigger the alternator the less output they produce at idle ... it will also cost more money ... an extra battery will also stabalize ur voltage more ... according to iraggi you shouldnt use an isolator at all ... "for every reason to get an isolator there is 10 bad ones"

also for what you have there is no reason to get a different one ... a 135 amp is plenty big

usually the bigger the alternator the less output they produce at idle ... it will also cost more money ... an extra battery will also stabalize ur voltage more ... according to iraggi you shouldnt use an isolator at all ... "for every reason to get an isolator there is 10 bad ones"

Thats a first... get a battery over an alternator. A 200A alternator is around the same price of a Kinetik khc2000

http://www.motorcity...s-explorer.html

Thats a first... get a battery over an alternator. A 200A alternator is around the same price of a Kinetik khc2000

No. You should get both, although you don't NEED a larger alternator it won't hurt.

ya a 135amp alt is already pretty beffy just get a new battery and see how it all works out! and if your system starts to have voltage issue then reconsider a bigger alt, or maybe get a missing link!!!

http://missinglinkaudio.com/

ya a 135amp alt is already pretty beffy just get a new battery and see how it all works out! and if your system starts to have voltage issue then reconsider a bigger alt, or maybe get a missing link!!!

Sorry about the excessive comments but thats where im stuck at. If i might have to get a bigger alternator then why not spend the money that i would be buying a battery with on a alternator?

because the alternator is never going to be able to support u when u r sitting still ... u r going to have to rev ur engine at a light and while coasting down a hill ... its a pain in the ass believe me ... i have a h/o alt and a single battery for the time being ... its terrible and will cause more strain on ur alternator

because the alternator is never going to be able to support u when u r sitting still ... u r going to have to rev ur engine at a light and while coasting down a hill ... its a pain in the ass believe me ... i have a h/o alt and a single battery for the time being ... its terrible and will cause more strain on ur alternator

THANKS!

That was the type of answer i was looking for! Getting the battery!

Sorry about the excessive comments but thats where im stuck at. If i might have to get a bigger alternator then why not spend the money that i would be buying a battery with on a alternator?

well you are asking if i am going to need a bigger alt in the long run why not just got a bigger alt! well how about lets look at this mathematically for a 2000rms setup at 1ohm your amp will need like 45amps. but 2000rms/12.8volts = 156amp draw! so if your alt puts out 150 you will be able to supply the demand.

is that correct or did i screw something up?

i will just get a big enough battery to support my system. right now my setup is 1 15inch ns 2- batcap 2000's and STOCK battery and STOCK alt (105) and a SAZ2000 pushing all it is worth. my lowest voltage i have read off of my stinger volt meter is 12.8volts at full tilt after playing a full song.

THANKS!

that was quick!! and painless eh! lol!!! battery power FTW!

THANKS!

well you are asking if i am going to need a bigger alt in the long run why not just got a bigger alt! well how about lets look at this mathematically for a 2000rms setup at 1ohm your amp will need like 45amps. but 2000rms/12.8volts = 156amp draw! so if your alt puts out 150 you will be able to supply the demand.

is that correct or did i screw something up?

i will just get a big enough battery to support my system. right now my setup is 1 15inch ns 2- batcap 2000's and STOCK battery and STOCK alt (105) and a SAZ2000 pushing all it is worth. my lowest voltage i have read off of my stinger volt meter is 12.8volts at full tilt after playing a full song.

I have 2 Deka Intimidators with a stock 90amp alt and stock battery...with an SAZ3000D and 100.4 and I never go below 12.8 on a tone.

THANKS!

THANKS!

make sure to up the big 3

That's why you upgrade both ;)

THANKS!