Sign in to follow this  
Mac N Cheese

no output from amplifer

Hey you guys are really imformative on these forums. So recently I installed my new system that consisted of a Fi BTl 18, SAZ 3000d, HO alternator(220amp), Kinetik 2400 in back, all 0gauge wires, big three all in a Nissan Pathfinder. And recently I would be listening to music and then the subwoofer would cut out and there would be no output. I inspected the sub and it looked fine. I switched the sub with a JL and it did the same thing. Played then cut out. I checked rcas, ground and also checked to see if the speaker wires r hooked up right. I switched out the 3000d with a Alpine amp and it worked fine. If you guys got any input or advice i should try please let me know.

it was also a refurb amp from DB-r.

thanks

Is your voltage dropping when it cuts out?

I used a multimeter and it read around 13.9v and when it cut out it would stay around 13.9

Check your RCA's before and after it cuts out.

Double check your amp ground and inline fusing!

I switched out the RCA cables with a new pair and it did the same thing so... each step im getting closer to finding out whats wrong. Tomorrow i am going to re run my power wire because it might be gettin pinched somewhere. Ill check ground too. Also should i replace my 150amp fuse up front with a 300 because i have a 300 amp fuse in the trunk by the kinetik.

thanks

If the 150 doesn't blow there's no reason to make it higher. A lower amperage fuse does a better job of protecting the wire.

If the 150 doesn't blow there's no reason to make it higher. A lower amperage fuse does a better job of protecting the wire.

Ok so thats not the answer. umm.. im gonna check it out tomorrow and ill let u know whats up

Check your RCA's before and after it cuts out.

^^ By that I meant check the voltage.

Remove the back cover of the amp and try it without the cover installed. If this works then add 4 layers of duct tape to the bottom cover above the transformers and inductors as that means they were touching the bottom cover and causing the amp to protect.

Remove the back cover of the amp and try it without the cover installed. If this works then add 4 layers of duct tape to the bottom cover above the transformers and inductors as that means they were touching the bottom cover and causing the amp to protect.

Is that why there are foam pads on the tops of them?

For that and for rattle reduction... most of the 3000s have a plastic sheet on the bottom cover above the transformers to protect against a short but some did not and rarely they can touch the bottom cover and short.

For that and for rattle reduction... most of the 3000s have a plastic sheet on the bottom cover above the transformers to protect against a short but some did not and rarely they can touch the bottom cover and short.

I tried with the back cover off and couldnt get any output but that was with 8 gauge ground. umm.. i think my ground was fishy so i re did that and my 0gauge wire wasnt long enough so i only had 8gauge. tomorrow i will pick up more 0gauge and then try the 3000d again. idk if pics of my amps guts would help but if so let me know.

thanks

I tried with the back cover off and couldnt get any output but that was with 8 gauge ground. umm.. i think my ground was fishy so i re did that and my 0gauge wire wasnt long enough so i only had 8gauge. tomorrow i will pick up more 0gauge and then try the 3000d again. idk if pics of my amps guts would help but if so let me know.

thanks

You had an 8 gauge ground on a 3000 watt amp that requires a 1/0 gauge ground?

You had an 8 gauge ground on a 3000 watt amp that requires a 1/0 gauge ground?

no, i had 1/0 gauge ground wire but i redid the ground and my 0gauge wasn't long enough.

no, i had 1/0 gauge ground wire but i redid the ground and my 0gauge wasn't long enough.

So you have an 8 gauge ground when you need a 1/0 gauge ground?

hey guys i contacted DB-r and right off the bat he pretty much knew what it was..lol it had something to do with the capacitors in the amp. But yea i would like to thank all you guys for the help. :fing34: I thought i should take some pics for ya guys...my photography skills arnt that good..hah

O and anyone thinking of ordering refurbed amps or new definitly go with Sundown or DB-r i think i got 4 emails from him regarding when the amps parts are coming in and when my amp will ship.. incredible company clap.gif

C:\Users\2bigmac\Pictures\2009-08-18\004.JPG

testing area

C:\Users\2bigmac\Pictures\2009-08-18\005.JPG

SUNDOWN FTW

C:\Users\2bigmac\Pictures\2009-08-18\007.JPG

7 cubic feet after displacements

C:\Users\2bigmac\Pictures\2009-08-18\008.JPG

C:\Users\2bigmac\Pictures\2009-08-18\009.JPG

C:\Users\2bigmac\Pictures\2009-08-18\010.JPG

Location of problem

C:\Users\2bigmac\Pictures\2009-08-18\011.JPG

what i am running till my amp comes back