ric

Sub examples pls?

hi guys, would just like to get inputs and possible if i could, get the best for my application.

- sub will be in the trunk of a car.

- fired towards the cabin through the center arm rest

- max box would be 2 cubes, 1.5 cubes or smaller preferred

- final impedance of 4 ohms

- good for 1k watts of power in 4 ohms

- SQ install but has a capability to massage me if i want to crank it up abit

- can be tuned to a flat bass sound as much as possible

thanks

- good for 1k watts of power in 4 ohms

- SQ install but has a capability to massage me if i want to crank it up abit

- can be tuned to a flat bass sound as much as possible

Your comments don't make sense.

SQ without discussing the rest of the install is POINTLESS.

Back massage is NOT SQ at all.

Not so sure I like the sound of flat, nor am I sure what you are attempting to describe.

I can guarantee you one thing from your post. You will NOT like an SQ setup.

lol... sorry if some seems to be confusing...

well i said 1k for the sub amp bec, that is what i have and will be using. i can however turn down the gain though... :)

ok here goes...

rest of the install...

3ways up front. legatia L4 and L1v2 on the dash/pillars, scanspeak W18 classic kevlar cone on the doors as midbass

2 JL slash v2 300/4... 1 for each channel (L / R), and a slash v2 1000/1 for the sub.

HU, still deciding on a pioneer P800PRS or Eclipse CD 7200mkII

Edited by zitric

just to add...

FLAT - meaning, less tuning as possible for it to sound good... not too much peaks and dips like SPL configured subs if we check RTA for it...

and another... one sub i have check with my requirements is the ID MAX V3 dito....

1.5 cubes sealed

good SQ with capability to go loud

1000watts RMS

im just asking for other options for me to look at... so i can audition and compare which one would be to my likeness...

Edited by zitric

Not so sure I like the sound of flat, nor am I sure what you are attempting to describe.

I think, in your case, you're using a definition of SQ that the OP isn't. I think it's safe to assume this is more "keeps up with most music and sounds good but can still whang," not the OCD staging and designing that SQ fanatics think of.

After all, SQ just stands for "sound quality", and you can want that in a setup that also gets mega loud.

I think, in your case, you're using a definition of SQ that the OP isn't. I think it's safe to assume this is more "keeps up with most music and sounds good but can still whang," not the OCD staging and designing that SQ fanatics think of.

After all, SQ just stands for "sound quality", and you can want that in a setup that also gets mega loud.

True, but....Check number 15 click

This?

15) SQ also has a very defined meaning, toreproduce music as it was recorded as exactly as possible. If thisisn't your goal, don't use the term.

Apply that, now, to modern hip-hop or drum and bass. The sound equipment used to replicate those sounds exactly as intended by the original artists likely wouldn't be what you guys would call an "SQ" setup, now would they? :fing34:

Seems your interpretation of the "SQ" definition is quite genre-specific.

Edited by Zach Gates

This?

15) SQ also has a very defined meaning, toreproduce music as it was recorded as exactly as possible. If thisisn't your goal, don't use the term.

Apply that, now, to modern hip-hop or drum and bass. The sound equipment used to replicate those sounds exactly as intended by the original artists likely wouldn't be what you guys would call an "SQ" setup, now would they? :fing34:

Hip hop or drum and pass wasn't meant to overpower everything.

This?

Agreed. In a true SQ setup everything should be well balanced.

If you were to ask Lil Jon what the appropriate level of bass is in a song he creates, he's going to show you a different setup from what, say, Maynard James Keenan would say about the latest Tool album.

SQ may have a specific meaning, but when you throw out terms like "balance" and "overpower", you turn an objective concept into a subjective one. How do you define balanced? What's "balanced" to you might sound too harsh on the highs to me. What's balanced to me might sound far too bottom-heavy to you. And again it depends on what's being thrown out of the speakers. I listen to some Opeth and I'm going to want a FAR different sonic balance than if I listen to rap, which would differ from my Broadway tracks.

On rap I need the bass tones to rattle my teeth, on rock the drums should kick me in the chest while the guitars rape my ears, and if I'm listening to Man of La Mancha the orchesta should taking a bit of a backseat to the performers. So the appropriate response to "I want good SQ" isn't "you don't know what SQ means", but rather "what type of music do you listen to?"

I'm in the process of upgrading my entire system. I've got two amps sitting on my table and comps/HU in my SonicElectronix shopping cart, and I'm going to be buying the sub after I have everything else. Balance is absolutely a concern of mine, but mostly in the sense of having everything clear and audible even as the bass bruises my kidneys. Additionally I want the sub to have good sound to it instead of sounding like a rhino farting. So SQ would be a serious concern of mine, and the idea that there's this mystical "balance" that is an objective measure irks me.

Oh sure, maybe if you're talking competition, but if you want SQ to mean "geared toward SQ competitions" then SPL should -only- mean "single tone optimized with no concern for daily driving".

Edited by Zach Gates

lol... sorry if some seems to be confusing...

well i said 1k for the sub amp bec, that is what i have and will be using. i can however turn down the gain though... :)

ok here goes...

rest of the install...

3ways up front. legatia L4 and L1v2 on the dash/pillars, scanspeak W18 classic kevlar cone on the doors as midbass

2 JL slash v2 300/4... 1 for each channel (L / R), and a slash v2 1000/1 for the sub.

HU, still deciding on a pioneer P800PRS or Eclipse CD 7200mkII

Ah, obviously you see how misleading your original post in your thread was. I'd change my statement based on the new information, but you have to understand that 95% of the people that would post what you did first my statement would have been right for. The biggest problem you have is the "only 2 cuft". A 15" sealed IMO would fit your goals better. Considering your goals, here are some 12's I'd look at: Seas Lotus SW300, SS Rlp, Peerless XXLS, JL W6, (I'll leave the $1k Focals out of this). There are others that would fit that I haven't heard, but I will say that I'd take any of the above before an IDMax but I'd also take an IDQ over it.

Oh sure, maybe if you're talking competition, but if you want SQ to mean "geared toward SQ competitions" then SPL should -only- mean "single tone optimized with no concern for daily driving".

Zach, it does on here. Read the damn link that was posted above. On top of that your genre rant is ridiculous. Those guys choose how their recording is, so it just needs to be reproduced as RECORDED not subjectively based on the musicians preference. Plus where did I say that an SQ system can't be ridiculously loud? Stop with the nonsense, if you would have read the OP's response before spouting your keyboard you'd realize you didn't need to say anything in particular since it was all wrong.

. Additionally I want the sub to have good sound to it instead of sounding like a rhino farting. So SQ would be a serious concern of mine, and the idea that there's this mystical "balance" that is an objective measure irks me.

And a rhino farting or not has NOTHING to do with SQ. Stop misapplying terms and instead keep with your subjective opinion by stating it. If you want a musical sub that is loud, fine. Just don't try and say you want an SQ setup.

Ah, obviously you see how misleading your original post in your thread was. I'd change my statement based on the new information, but you have to understand that 95% of the people that would post what you did first my statement would have been right for. The biggest problem you have is the "only 2 cuft". A 15" sealed IMO would fit your goals better. Considering your goals, here are some 12's I'd look at: Seas Lotus SW300, SS Rlp, Peerless XXLS, JL W6, (I'll leave the $1k Focals out of this). There are others that would fit that I haven't heard, but I will say that I'd take any of the above before an IDMax but I'd also take an IDQ over it.

hmmm... thanks for that M5/// - care to share also on the 15's? peerless XXLS comes on 12's but no 15's, the W6 and IDQ would only be on 15's if we consider old models... but the SS Rlp i know comes in 15's...

checking Seas lotus SW300.....

Guys...

hope everything is ok... lets just have this as a healthy discussion ok... :)

so to hdrox88, zach gates and duran... care to share any knowledge on the subs that may fit good with my needs?

hmmm... thanks for that M5/// - care to share also on the 15's? peerless XXLS comes on 12's but no 15's, the W6 and IDQ would only be on 15's if we consider old models... but the SS Rlp i know comes in 15's...

checking Seas lotus SW300.....

A sealed 12" would be fine as well, just slightly less output. The newer W6 comes in a 13.5" cone and that would be fine also. I'd second the Soundsplinter rL-p 15"

Cone area is your friend, just not in 2cuft. If you can't come up with more space just run the 12 ;)