Sign in to follow this  
SPLScion

Reducing bad vibration under vehicle

I noticed when testing outside of the car that there is a horrid metal vibration coming from the undercarriage. In case your sigs. are turned off I drive an '07 Scion Tc. My question is what should I do about it? Should I remove it or put some deadener on it like dynamat or fatmat (I refuse to use damplifier pro on outside of car (-: ) It's more then the usual body panel sound it's a high pitch rattle that I can't stand for others to hear. Shizzon, what did you do about this piece? Thanks in advance for replies / ideas.

IMG_0177-1.jpg

the only underbody sound i know that emits from my scion back when i had a setup in the hatch was the Heat Guard over the resonator in the very back.

I installed 2 small layered patches of damplifier pro on top of it and it didnt do anything.

I later just forgot about it because that's when i built the wall.

If this is what you are referring to, it is riveted in place so you have multiple options here...

You can get a whole new exhaust system and eliminate the resonator... which would eliminate the heat guard.

Or, you can remove it and put Spectrum sludge on it and screw it back into place and add rubber washers to screws when doing so.

the only underbody sound i know that emits from my scion back when i had a setup in the hatch was the Heat Guard over the resonator in the very back.

I installed 2 small layered patches of damplifier pro on top of it and it didnt do anything.

I later just forgot about it because that's when i built the wall.

If this is what you are referring to, it is riveted in place so you have multiple options here...

You can get a whole new exhaust system and eliminate the resonator... which would eliminate the heat guard.

Or, you can remove it and put Spectrum sludge on it and screw it back into place and add rubber washers to screws when doing so.

Thanks thats exactly the info. I was looking for, when I start making more $ I'm gonna have to start paying you for all the help you give me man! lol

I'm kind of bummed that the Damplifier did nothing though, however with the amount of rattle it has it doesn't suprise me it didn't work.

well, the damplifier really isn't suppose to be used for that purpose. that's what spectrum sludge is for. I just had lots left over so i figured i see what would happen... and nothing happened, lol.

Thats funny you say that because I have some extra fatmat kicking around and had the same thought you had originally. I'll def. be going the spectrum sludge route.

talk to secondskin about it.

You might have to apply it to both sides. You might just need the spectrum and not the mix.... I know that's what i was gonna buy because that's like their last resort for end-all shimmers, lol. He should know which of the two products u need.

Search on youtube for a ss spectrum demo. They used a heat shield identical to what you are talking about.