Sign in to follow this  
wayneo99

HDC3 12" copper coils or aluminum?

if i were to get 2 audioque 2200d amps and 2 audioque HDC3 12" subs(an amp per a sub) wired down to 1 ohms could the copper series handle it or would i have to buy the aluminum? this is for daily use!

also on the audioque website it says 1000 watts rms 2000 watts peak for those subs. but also on there it says you can hook 1 2200d with one HDC3 sub. the amp puts out 2200 at 1 ohms so how would this not damage or blow the sub?

if i were to get 2 audioque 2200d amps and 2 audioque HDC3 12" subs(an amp per a sub) wired down to 1 ohms could the copper series handle it or would i have to buy the aluminum? this is for daily use!

also on the audioque website it says 1000 watts rms 2000 watts peak for those subs. but also on there it says you can hook 1 2200d with one HDC3 sub. the amp puts out 2200 at 1 ohms so how would this not damage or blow the sub?

If you are smart and are able to set your gains in an educated manner you will be able to run an amp per sub. A question though, what kind of electrical are you running, will you be able to run a continuous 3kW+? You will also need to be able to gain match the two amps. I'll let one of the trusted gurus comment further.

Edited by crazytexan

You should get the aluminum coils if you plan on running any power above the recommended RMS.

If you are smart and are able to set your gains in an educated manner you will be able to run an amp per sub. A question though, what kind of electrical are you running, will you be able to run a continuous 3kW+? You will also need to be able to gain match the two amps. I'll let one of the trusted gurus comment further.

ill be getting big 3 upgrade ill have an extra battery in the back and im gettin a HO alt

what do u mean by matchin the gain? like set it the same on both amps?

Yes, gain matching is making sure that both amps are set at the same amount of output. This is not as simple as eyeballing where the gains are because each amp may produce a different amount of power at it's current power. This process needs to be done correctly with the right tools.

Yes, gain matching is making sure that both amps are set at the same amount of output. This is not as simple as eyeballing where the gains are because each amp may produce a different amount of power at it's current power. This process needs to be done correctly with the right tools.

should i just have my audio shop where im gettin everythin installed at do it?

no, do the copper coils.

Getting the aluminum with only that power isn't sufficient enough.

They want people to use the aluminum if they are running a minimum of 2500w and max of 3500w rated amp for daily use.

Can a copper coil take a 2200d?

Hmm.. i did something by accident one time... i was lucky but this is real world scenario-

I played a bass track that ran 16 different tones over a 3min 30 sec period at FULL clip by accident with the car on idle...

I completely forgot about it.

When i got back, the subs smelt like they just been barbecued but they didnt get damaged at all. I ran a 2200d per 12 in my setup as well.

I took it to competition and full clip tones for 12 sec at a time and bassrace for a full 30 sec clipped to hell and back and the subs never smelt.. They have an outstanding cooling system.

no, do the copper coils.

Getting the aluminum with only that power isn't sufficient enough.

They want people to use the aluminum if they are running a minimum of 2500w and max of 3500w rated amp for daily use.

Can a copper coil take a 2200d?

Hmm.. i did something by accident one time... i was lucky but this is real world scenario-

I played a bass track that ran 16 different tones over a 3min 30 sec period at FULL clip by accident with the car on idle...

I completely forgot about it.

When i got back, the subs smelt like they just been barbecued but they didnt get damaged at all. I ran a 2200d per 12 in my setup as well.

I took it to competition and full clip tones for 12 sec at a time and bassrace for a full 30 sec clipped to hell and back and the subs never smelt.. They have an outstanding cooling system.

how many db's did u hit with 2200 per 12" sub?

well, this was a daily tuned box, not for comp use but i went to comp anyway for the hell of it.

I was tuned to 38hz, in a 3.8cuftbox NET metered ~1120w of output power per amp after impedance rise, got a 148.0 in the driver kick with door open then backed it up with a 147.7

should i just have my audio shop where im gettin everythin installed at do it?

Simple way at low power hook each amp up out-of-phase to 2 coils of a DVC sub when amps are gained exactly even sub will not move at all.

Unfortunately it's not completely exact unless you can bypass all EQ and X-over functions of the amps as well. Even then there could be slight varience.

Otherwise using an o-scope would be optimum.

why not just strap the amps and let the master slave take over the gain thing.....

and i dont understand how aluminum coils can handle more power, isnt aluminum more resistant to current than copper?? can some one please xplain. thanks.

why not just strap the amps and let the master slave take over the gain thing.....

and i dont understand how aluminum coils can handle more power, isnt aluminum more resistant to current than copper?? can some one please xplain. thanks.

You can flatten aluminum, hence a flatwound aluminum coil, versus a round copper coil. There is more surface area on the flat coil vs. the round.

Give D.J. a call a Audioque he is a good guy and likes to talk, he can help you get the rigth set-up.