d_man1987

2- SSD 18's in 6.6cu.ft. before displacement???

OK, i am doing a system for a friend in a 1996 lincoln town car, the equipment i am getting is 2- 18" SSD's and will be powered off a Rockford Fosgate t1500-1bd .

The problem is there are hydraulics in the car so i have very limited trunk space to work with.

the measurements i have taken leave me with a max of 39" wide x 24.5"length x 14.5" tall .

i think this comes out to be about 6.6 cu.ft. BEFORE any displacements :Doh: .

I know that this is WAY UNDER THE RECOMMENDATION, but i do not have any more room to spare.

it will never be metered or compete it is just for show which is why he wants the 18's but even though it's, not going to compete it still has to be LOUD.

I was planning on using those dimensions with 51.75" of port area @ about 15.75 to get to the 33hz recommended tuning which leaves me 6 cu.ft. BEFORE subwoofer displacement :shrug: .

so will this work?????

any help would be appreciated.

i hope u havent got the 18s yet...

The room you have would be perfect and "louder" for 2 12s!

If u already got em.. i'm done...

OK, i am doing a system for a friend in a 1996 lincoln town car, the equipment i am getting is 2- 18" SSD's and will be powered off a Rockford Fosgate t1500-1bd .

The problem is there are hydraulics in the car so i have very limited trunk space to work with.

the measurements i have taken leave me with a max of 39" wide x 24.5"length x 14.5" tall .

I know that this is WAY UNDER THE RECOMMENDATION, but i do not have any more room to spare.

it will never be metered or compete it is just for show which is why he wants the 18's but even though it's, not going to compete it still has to be LOUD.

I was planning on using those dimensions with 51.75" of port area @ about 15.75 to get to the 33hz recommended tuning which leaves me 6 cu.ft. BEFORE subwoofer displacement :shrug: .

so will this work?????

I would say just one 18" BL or Q for those dimensions, it would probably sound better than two 18s in a really small box.. just my .02

so will this work?????

It will work just wont sound as good or be as loud, that really would be a waste of 2-18''s(tell your friend to be smart and not choke the subs and give them the room they need). Why not get 2-15'' SSD's or 1-18" Q or Bl sub?

You beat me to it :chat:

Edited by jay-cee

With that space, you'd have to run sealed and even then, it's probably on the small side.

You could however fit two 15s or run one 18. You could also fit three 12s. These are all assuming you go ported.

Okay, first off, with those max measurements, the gross volume is about 8 cubes if its a rectangular box. Next with that port displacement, you will have about 7.5 cubes net without sub displacement and bracing displacement. However, the 18" ssd needs 6 cubes minimum for each 18" sub. Thats not enough space. Go with 2 15" SSDs the biggest or 2 12" SSDs for optimal.

I hope you didn't tell him to go with the 18"s and I hope he didn't get them yet.

He already ordered the 18's ....

I really wanted to have them in more space because i know that they do need it but he wants the car more for show and if I "build the box any higher the judges can't see the hydraulics"

That and he is set on the wow factor of the size of the 18's

I anything i am trying to convince him to go higher on the rear end of the box because the pumps protrude into the area i want to build in and i could add another 39w x 19"(so i ca go around pumps) x max 5" taller than what i alloted before hand,

but he is really against it and wants his to still pound pretty loud....

Basically,he just wants it to look good for show and be able to back up the look

would that make enough of a difference????

and yes i agree IT IS TOO LITTLE OF SPACE.

I know it would not sound optimal, but would it sound pretty good still even though i know they need ALOT MORE AIR.

And, if this is all the space i get to work with i know the subs will have more in them, BUT would a WAY too small ported box sound better that a still small sealed enclosure?????

If it's any consolation as soon as i have the funds i plan to do 3-18's and i have around 35cu.ft. of airspace to gived them :fing34:

Sell them and get 15s or 12s. Fi doesn't even have box sizes for the 18 SSDs. You're friend didn't think very much on this. It was a dumb move.

Why does it matter if the judges can see the hydraulics or not for his "show" factor?

Edited by phi

like i said before, 2 12s, STOP suggesting 15s unless he plans to run 1.

Port and sub displacement alone for 2 15s is around 1.5-2.5 cubes leaving around 4-5 cubes NET...

Dang, so think they will sound that bad...

and he wants to be able to see all the hydraulic pumps and everything in the trunk because the are chromed out and engraved( he's all about points, but want loud regardless ) , he used to have 2 infinity 12's off of a jl 500/1 in a shitty box and he wants it to blow that system away(which isn't really high standards), so it should blow that away by far shouldn't it?????

And he didn't really think it through he just wants it done in the next couple weeks for a show. I have been saying i want to pull my system and run Fi 18's and i already run rockford power series amps so he said if thats what i wanted it must be good so that is what he got his heart set on and "had to have 18's".

only thing he didn't figure(like most people who know very little car audio) is he has a trunk full of hydraulics for show and i have a yukon i would never waste that space on and have a huge box and could fit an even WAY LARGER box.

So is there any hope, i'm gonna do the box and i am kinda hyped up by it because i wanted to pull my 6-12's and do 3- 18's( fing05.gif ) and now I'm gonna get to work with some Fi 18's but i'm disappointed because air space is WAY to small :Doh: ... is there any hope????

I really want to make this work because he is a freind of mine who doesn't really know car audio and knows it won't be as loud as mine but still wants it really loud.....

is there anything i can do with the airspace i have????

What if i add the other 39w x 19" x max 5" taller, would this help?????

I know I'm not going to get what they are capable of out of them, but is there anything i can do with what i got to get more out of them???

Seal them is your only option. If you port those, the tuning peak will be in the 60s probably.

I prefer ported and never do sealed but i was worried that that was gonna be my only option...

So if i do sealed....

should i make it one big chamber or two separate?

should i use any fill?

since the box is so small should i use bracing & 45's in corners?

and should i fiberglass the inside of the box?

and thanks for your help guys, i really appreciate it.

Fi doesnt even recommend sealed but the size of box you would have would be on par for some 15s sealed, just a tad bigger than 2 typical 15s sealed.

I'm sure it will play lows but nothing crazy.

I'm tellin ya, he made a very bad mistake.

He needs to sell them and get 2 12s, ported if he wants the best for his space.

Otherwise anything i or anyone else that properly suggests other options is gonna be on the "not recommended but try it" side.

acoustastuff would be a wise suggestion for increased low end, make it common chamber, need as much internal space as possible.

Minimal bracing will suffice, nothing crazy and no fiberglassing necessary either.

make sure the box is LOOSELY stuffed, do not squeeze acoustastuff(bought from partsexpress.com) or it will decrease internal air space.

Loosely pack about as much as possible until you reach the subs then stop.

You want most of the volume filled in it.

If you want to keep pullin the subs and and back in to test different sounds with the stuff you can but the volume should mostly be loosely filled.

DO NOT use it for ported because the box is WAY too small for it to help. waste of potential to even try.

well thanks and yes i understand it will be on the "not recommended but try it" side but with what i have to work with it is the best i can doi guess so any help is appreciated...

So on that basis what would you guys reccomend?

should i make it one big chamber or two separate?

should i use any fill?

since the box is so small should i use bracing & 45's in corners?

and should i fiberglass the inside of the box?

And i know this is not a well thought out desicion, but thanks for your help on getting the most out of it

Nobody is really going to give you some good input on what to do since its not realistic, tell your friend to keep 1-18" and port it and call it a day, that 1-18" will sound way better and louder than stuffing two in there. Regardless of how many questions you ask no one is going to be like yeah thats gonna work cuz its not. I would sell an 18" and keep one, you know its good enough so why even try and waste the subs with that little potential or airspace (sometimes you gotta just realize your friend is wrong and wake him up to understand that wont nobody be like wow if they see 2-18"s in a small box that sucks, everybody will be like cool pumps but shitty system).

very true and thanks for the reply,

but he has around 1600 rms.....

would it really sound that bad, 1 ported would sound better even once you factor in all the extra cone area? and extra power that can be run when you have 2?

sounding louder cone area would matter, sounding better, cone area does not matter. tell him to sell off 1 18 or get new subs.

very true and thanks for the reply,

but he has around 1600 rms.....

would it really sound that bad, 1 ported would sound better even once you factor in all the extra cone area? and extra power that can be run when you have 2?

I would say cone area only has an advantage if in the proper enclosure, in my opinion. I have 3-12" Kickers CVX's in my car and I have the right box size just not enough port area, so 2-12"s would get louder and sound better in the right size box with the right size port area.

You can set the gain on the amp to play a certain rms, there is nothing wrong with some extra headroom.

I would email Nick at Fi caraudio and ask him what would be the optimal box to use with one 18" with some extra power(you can make a box smaller and give a sub a little extra power). Did your friend get them with BP Power or stock?

Edited by jay-cee

well i have the room for 18's, i might make him an offer and buy a third for myself, the have bp power, would the handle 1100rms each i i try and get them????

and if i try and get them i know he still wants to go big and at least 2, it i could get another 2 cubes would 15's work?

i kinda just wish i wouldn't have tried taking on helping him by doing the build...... hope he can be more flexable and it all works out ok, just knowing him i think he's gonna want the 18's so i might try sealed.... just kinda a losing situation in a way.

thanks though guys

well i have the room for 18's, i might make him an offer and buy a third for myself, the have bp power, would the handle 1100rms each i i try and get them????

and if i try and get them i know he still wants to go big and at least 2, it i could get another 2 cubes would 15's work?

If you can do 6.0ft^3 or better after displacement(port, subwoofer and bracing) then I dont see why 2-15"s wouldn't work.

Ok, really no one has been direct enough obviously.

1 12 in an optimal box in that space will be LOUDER than the 2 18's ported in that space will. Not only that it would sound WAY better as well.

Even sealed you DO NOT have enough space. Cancel/change the order as it is a frigging completely stupid waste of money.

If he "must" run 18's and it "has" to be a pair, you will need to build a box for one and connect it and have the other one in a very smalled sealed enclosure NOT CONNECTED AT ALL which will get him his "show" but the second obviously won't help the loud.

If you truly follow the "not recommended but try it" I will be the first to say that this might be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen done on this site.

--I realize this is your friend, but perhaps you should have him read this thread. Completely asinine.