shizzzon

What is LOW frequency to you guys?

I'm about to step in and start editing some more music for custom purposes for car audio and want to know what frequency range i should focus on?

This project will mainly be focused on older 70s-80s rock that had no bass hardly. I want to bring out frequencies that just didn't audibly exist before.

I've done this before a while back and some people have the custom 16 min Pink floyd track i did but now i want to do this...

So, what frequency to you is LOWWWWwwww?

i can bring it out all the way to 1hz but there comes a point to where it's too low so i need to know how low is too low really.

Anyone who listens to these tracks can mainly only benefit from it from a setup where the subsonic is shut off or your setup is just plain tuned low already... below 30hz that is.

Right now i'm focusing on the 9-24hz range right now on this one pink floyd song to give you an idea.

I listen to alot of retro , rock , pop and metal and I tune my systems to levetate the vehicle at 10hz with enough force to

knock stuff off shelves in the house across the street..it just takes the right enclosure

.a conventional woofer is so un efficient below 8hz..if you want the really low 8hz and down use low freq fan

anything 8hz and down on a conventional woofer us usually amplified flutter

I have experienced a true 1hz with a fan..I wish I could duplicate that in a car

is 8hz like a strict note not to go below or just a personal preference?

from what u say, i'd assume that 10hz is pretty important, hehe, so i'll be sure to keep that in mind.

is 8hz like a strict note not to go below or just a personal preference?

from what u say, i'd assume that 10hz is pretty important, hehe, so i'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Hey mr shizzzon what kind of computer software are u using to edit cds or music im interested. Thanks

What's the point in going that low for music? You can't hear it. I can see using it for HT where feeling is every bit as important as hearing, but it's pointless in a vehicle.

it's just pressure or the feeling of it.

Most of the custom music i make when i edit, i don't actually listen to it all the way. It's more of like a demo track to entertain people.

Very few songs are actually tolerable to listen to as most will leave you with headaches, discomfort, etc...

Now, back to your question, after playing around with tons of songs over the weekend, i actually did have to "up the bar" some on the frequency range because some songs sounded... i guess nasty i should say.

I'm currently focusing in the low 20hz range right now as it's more appealing.

Anything below 20 Hz is pointless IMO. Only 1 sub made could play that low w/o distortion below 5%, PG Cyclone.

On older rock I'd emphasize the 45-25 Hz range.

yea, i've ran 9hz tone through my wall and i cant send a lot of power through it because they move to much,.

Anything below 20 Hz is pointless IMO. Only 1 sub made could play that low w/o distortion below 5%, PG Cyclone.

And how do you know the Cyclone is the only sub that can reproduce that with less than 5% distortion?

Also I'd completely disagree about older rock being that low. I'd actually venture that nothing in older rock goes below at least 50 if not 60.

And how do you know the Cyclone is the only sub that can reproduce that with less than 5% distortion?

Also I'd completely disagree about older rock being that low. I'd actually venture that nothing in older rock goes below at least 50 if not 60.

lol, he's right, lookin at every older 70s-80s rock song i've imported into Audacity... it's like the opposite of car audio music that we come to expect from us bassheads

<15 is just silly. Who really tunes down to 10hz? Even home theater guys plan to be 3db down @ 16.

Lowest freq in actual music is 8hz fundamental (64 foot pipe in a couple pipe organs) 4hz harmonic :suicide-santa: . That'll be at 132db sustained IRL.....try hitting that in your next wall build!

2007-08_exeter-cathedral-organ-pipes.jpg

That all being said 25-35 is really really low and is virtually non-existant in 80's rock....or even most music today that isn't "chopped and screwed". Also worthy of restoration is George Clinton/Parliament .... "Flashlight" sounded really good when I had the Audiocontrol Epic hooked up.

1. Create super Low freq mix cd

2. ????????

3. Profit!

Edited by hispls

My sub, and most others on the market can easily play that low with under 5% distortion. Just need to keep excursion minimized ;)

Now if you want to qualify that statement by requiring a specific SPL be achieved, things might get a little trickier. But as it stands, it's not hard to accomplish at all.

so, hehe, should someone do an SPL box tuned to something below 20hz and see what it meters?

Gonna be a BIG box!

As to the original question, no point in going that low IMO. Most ported enclosures will be well into unloading territory, so you're going to end up with a lot of idiots needlessly blowing their subs for little benefit. And while my setup isn't designed for SPL it gets sufficiently loud at low frequencies and really, the 18hz on the IASCA CD isn't all that impressive.

20-35hz will be plenty low enough, and lower than most commercial music gets. Most rap songs barely reach down below 35hz.

ok, i'll stick with audible range.

Get a woofer designed for a sealed box and give it lots of space. Put it in your house on a plate amp that can switch between 14-27-33 hertz or close to, from partsexpress etc. There is almost no output below 20hz it's just rumbles, at that point all that is making your bass is how much force the woofer has, either a strong motor or lots of linear movement, so it'll take atleast 4 12's to do something decent. Try Eclipse SW8200's. With 2 of them the loudest note was something like 22hz in my car. It was kind of flat from 20-45 and it was louder at 35hz, but at 18-22hz it just got stupid, and only something like 1.2 cf each, 30hz is around 1.75 says Eclipse tech. It shook the car violently, more than a ported box would have tuned around 20hz.

you do not need sealed to produce good lows...a well designed ported application

can produce sickening bottom end

so far out of all the woofers I have played with the Icons have the best low end and flattest response

I wouldn't hesitate to use one in my home theater system ( BING!!! future project..LOL)

when I say a flat response I mean FLAT..143.6db @ 10hz and 145db @ 27hz down to 143.3db @ 35hz

all measurements taken with a termlab on the dash dooes sealed with four Icon 10" ported