Sign in to follow this  
Estsound

Same box, different sub placing

question.jpg

Will box a give me same results like box B ? Does it matter if sub is placed up, or on the side ?

only in car testing will tell....

every vehicle is different.

Even small changes can net a pretty big difference:

I'm building a slightly different box for my truck as we speak... all I'm changing is a bigger port flange and moving the woofers further to the driver's side.... I had the subs centered before... from some small scale testing (12's instead of 15's) I can gain .3ish db from just moving the woofers over further.

there are almost 10k users in this forum, and im only getting 1 reply :S

what kind of car is it?

it takes alot of testing and building to get a definite answer on this tho...

there are almost 10k users in this forum, and im only getting 1 reply :S

Because everybody is going to tell you the same thing as stated above and every car is different. The only way to find out what is the best for you is to test and see for yourself. Some people say port back and sub back is good for trunked cars, I only think you should port or forward or face subs forward if you have a ski hole, competitions or ride with seats down all the time and want to seal off trunk. I personally became a fan or sub up and probably port back but in my next install Im thinking port up and sub up since I removed my speakers from my rear deck.

Sander, if your 5 series has a rear seat that does not fold down, I would say try firing rearward for both sub and port. But you never know under you try.

only in car testing will tell....

every vehicle is different.

Even small changes can net a pretty big difference:

I'm building a slightly different box for my truck as we speak... all I'm changing is a bigger port flange and moving the woofers further to the driver's side.... I had the subs centered before... from some small scale testing (12's instead of 15's) I can gain .3ish db from just moving the woofers over further.

X2. It sucks to hear that but with a question as subjective as that one, thats just what you will get.

My past experience with good results in a trunk car, I would go sub and port firing to the rear of the trunk...(B)

yes, i can't fold my rear seats down, i just have a hole in there.

OgAAAAZ_jwtrLyB16YootFGPZoWfQdID9mhlwSaZZGNP72718ZuHBcUSFrLT--ZCosJMKK4OPSwcoiLhQWgn26DAv0QAm1T1UF1Fsi0z_akeYVXln5CJOULymcKF.jpg

i can fit 34" wide and 13,6" high box in there. My sub outer diameter is 16" and i have no idea how to fit that in facing the ski hole. or make port through the sky hole :ehh: Anyone wants to try design the box ? I will rip those 6x9"s out also.

Maybe forward fire due to the pass through. If not, rear fire both port and driver. I wish our 5 had a pass through.

I'd try to rear-fire both. If you are brave cut away as much of that steel as you can, you need a bigger hole to get the deebeez through to the cabin area!

As the first reply said, there's no way to tell without testing and I've found often the frequency response changes along with overal output depending on placement of box/driver/ports...so you may have different variations giving you more or less output at different frequencies and possibly even the one with somewhat less output will sound more musical.

I keep a small test box to get an idea of sub aiming/placement that I can move around and test before I build something that is total shit, but even then you can't be sure.

that little port is your friend, i usually fire both back an dnever can afford to rebuild second box for comparison, but we sorta did like box a in the cougar, and it seems real nice, but now i guess we gotta do box b to decide, darn it. lol. uh, usually you will see sub up ,port back in suv's but, like all the fella's are saying, you gotta test it.....but trust me that little port is nice to have. :fing34:

Im thinking of getting 2x12 subs, i could make better box for them, and i could fire through ski pass.

my current sub is 350W RMS, i would get 2x300~ WRMS or something. And in my opinion 2x12 should have more cone area than single 15 ?

i was thinking of making something like this, so i can shoot through ski pass, but subs will be really close to back seat.

kast.JPG

2-12 have more cone area than a single 15.

from my experience with trunk cars, rear firing the port and the woofers yeilds the best results.. I always test every car (it's the only way to be sure you have the best alignment for your vehicle)--I have a small box for a single 10 that I use for testing.

your fold down arm rest is a big help in transfering the bass into the cabin

damn i need to get single 8 or 10" for testing :ehh: