rmzsuzuki89

Ported Diamond

I have 4 DP21"s and 2 SAZ-3000d's that I'm stuffing in my 03 Expedition. I'm looking for ways to get enough port area with the subs...The box will be at the B-pillars sealed from the back. It will be about 40 cubes tuned to between 30 and 32 hz.

So I'm wandering if I could port through the diamond itself without any problems. Or would this be bad?...Any other ways to get sufficient port area would be appreciated also.

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

ok, i have absolutely no idea what u mean by porting through the diamond but if you can give me the dimensions of your ride on the inside, and i mean precise dimensions so i can draw it out from front to back, side to side, guaranteed to fit if it's built the way you measure it... then i can find out exactly how much port area you will have or can obtain...

ok, i have absolutely no idea what u mean by porting through the diamond but if you can give me the dimensions of your ride on the inside, and i mean precise dimensions so i can draw it out from front to back, side to side, guaranteed to fit if it's built the way you measure it... then i can find out exactly how much port area you will have or can obtain...

Like the port firing out of the center of the diamond, where the subs are mounted.

And the external dimensions are 48" wide by 45" high by 33" deep, then there is a 5" step up on the floor, that area can be 48" wide by 35" high by 25"-30" deep.

I'll get some pics up in a second.

ok, i just drew out the baffle, there's no way you gonna get enough port area on a FLAT baffle for 4 21s.

You will need a different approach.

you will want around 550-600sqin for daily or around 900sqin for competition.

You have many options, some that come to mind is a concaved baffle where the top half subs would be facing partially down at the ower 2 subs with a massive horizontal port in the middle.

If you did that design, the port would be the whole width of the baffle and about 12.75-13" tall.

So you see, the baffle angle would be very noticeable to fit 2 21s and a ~13" tall port in 45" height.

If u want to do that, i'll try and draw it out.

ok, i just drew out the baffle, there's no way you gonna get enough port area on a FLAT baffle for 4 21s.

You will need a different approach.

you will want around 550-600sqin for daily or around 900sqin for competition.

You have many options, some that come to mind is a concaved baffle where the top half subs would be facing partially down at the ower 2 subs with a massive horizontal port in the middle.

If you did that design, the port would be the whole width of the baffle and about 12.75-13" tall.

So you see, the baffle angle would be very noticeable to fit 2 21s and a ~13" tall port in 45" height.

If u want to do that, i'll try and draw it out.

I was thinking a clam wall, but the mounting depth of the subs is about 12".

yea that's what i'm referrin to.

I take all aspects of dimensions into play, including mounting depth, :)

I know the depth is pretty deep for a sub so if you want, i'll go ahead and start makin some drafts and seein what fits and what doesnt.

I'll be focusing on this build with using 3 layers of MDF all the way around if that's fine with you?

yea that's what i'm referrin to.

I take all aspects of dimensions into play, including mounting depth, :)

I know the depth is pretty deep for a sub so if you want, i'll go ahead and start makin some drafts and seein what fits and what doesnt.

I'll be focusing on this build with using 3 layers of MDF all the way around if that's fine with you?

I was planning on 2 layers all the way around and 3 on the baffles with a shitton of 3/4" all thread bracing.

ok, i'll draft using 2 layers then.

With the allthread, for a REAL good brace without having to weld, when you have multiple allthread runs pokin g out of the same wall, run steel from all points on the inside and outside from one allthread point to another.

For allthread that stands alone from any other point, use a large Steel base. All these methods will increase the radius of dispersed strength that allthread has to offer.

Running allthread alone doesnt actually offer a lot of dispersed strength on the wall it's mounted to unless you have a run every few inches, lol. It's great on keeping things together, but it needs help in these monsterous pressure designs.

I just realized that the actual baffle part of the clam doesn't have to go all the way to the bottom and top of the box. :Doh: lol...I just realized by raising the area where the baffle meets the front of the box, I will gain a lot of mounting depth. i think this is how you're getting the necessary mounting depth. I'm a dingous lol.

ok, i'll draft using 2 layers then.

With the allthread, for a REAL good brace without having to weld, when you have multiple allthread runs pokin g out of the same wall, run steel from all points on the inside and outside from one allthread point to another.

For allthread that stands alone from any other point, use a large Steel base. All these methods will increase the radius of dispersed strength that allthread has to offer.

Running allthread alone doesnt actually offer a lot of dispersed strength on the wall it's mounted to unless you have a run every few inches, lol. It's great on keeping things together, but it needs help in these monsterous pressure designs.

I was planning on a piece every 12"-15" with a piece of aluminum or steel bar connecting them all on the wall of the box. Maybe five each way in each section, in the layout of the #5 on a dice.

ok man, gimme a couple days and i'll see what i can build, gotta sleep now.

ok man, gimme a couple days and i'll see what i can build, gotta sleep now.

Alright man...I'm playing with sketch up right now and will probably post a couple ideas up.

Thanks for all the help man, I greatly appreciate it.

I am just wondering how Shawn is going to design this considering I basically have an 03 explorer and 4 18s is a struggle of a fit. Your dimensions should be the exact same as mine.

Should be interesting.

Please check your PM, update information for your progress-

i am currently workin on a design for you.

I was hopin i was gonna have one by the time i post this but the subs still do not fit yet...

They WILL fit by the time i'm done, this design is just funny... hard, but i like a challenge.

i cant.. i just cant get it to fit.

So, the subs must be mounted on the port walls! Steve meade and some others have done designs like this.

The following pic is an example... Although for you, the subs would be facing up and down because side to side isn't enough room-

4-21s.jpg

In the pic, i made the "Port area" HUMONGOUS. I do not know anything about these designs so i just made you 608sqin of port for a 38cube net box(hoping u have the room for that).

i'm sure the subs might need to be wired out of phase but i'm not 100% sure. That's something one would need to experiment with.

If you decide to go with this, let me know so i can get into detail and finish the entire design.

:ehh: well, if i was snooping accuratly, the above design would be horizontal? omg , i think i am onto something....... my dakota needs this!

Sorry this thread has been dead for a while. My computer crashed and I am just now gettng axcess to another computer. Mine should be fixed in like 2 weeks. :angry22:

But that design looks interesting. I'm still debating about everything, but it's definately gonna be fun. fing05.gif

hey, if it's possible, i may be able to help in fixing your computer.

That's another thing i do.

hey, if it's possible, i may be able to help in fixing your computer.

That's another thing i do.

Really...Damn, and we sent it out to HP on waranty like an hour ago. lol

Edited by rmzsuzuki89