Sign in to follow this  
redsoxfan9545

NEED HELP WITH SYSTEM!!!!

My dad was looking to buy me a sound system for my birthday, i am looking around, he immideatily eliminated the idea of a subwoofer, so now i have a head unit and new speakers, and an amp (if necessary).

I drive a 2004 jeep grand cherokee. I was going to buy with him today, Alpine CDA9886, 1 Alpine SPX-13 REF component set, 1 Alpine SPX-17 REF component set, and to power those speakers i was going to use a autotek SM4-800. I was wondering if this set up would be good, and if the amp would be adequate power for the speakers, i think it goes 100x4 @ 4 ohms.

I have never used autotek but if it puts out 100rms at 4 ohm to each channel you would have more than enough power. I would imagine a set -up like that would sound really good. There is tons of info on this forum to help with the install if you plan to do it yourself.

I would not get the Alpine 9886 if you are not buying the imprint kit with it. The 9886 needs the imprint kit to use any of the EQing process. For the extra couple of bucks i would get the the Alpine 9887. The 9887 does Not need the imprint kit to use its eqs.

Also where are you going to buy your equipment??

Also what is your budget??

Edited by sqjeep

I was going to buy it off onlinecarstereo.com and crutchfield.com (head unit because it comes with the dash kit)

how much of a difference is the 9887 between the 9886

becuase right now my total is at about $700

So now my two questions are:

1. Is the amp good for the speakers?

2. Do I really need the 9887 or can i survive off of the 9886 and still have control over some EQ, or do i need the 9887 for that "full" control?

Watch what you are buying from crutchfield cause they can be expensive. As for the headunit the 9886 has only bass/mid/treble +/-7. So if you want more eq you would need either the imprint kit or the 9887. The difference is around 50 dollars. I would not buy two sets of componets i would get one good set and put that in the front and use the money from the 2nd to get a sub, or if you want sound for the back i would get coaxial speakers for the back.

No sub at all? even a small one?261.gif

Talk to your Dad !!! 1281.gif or buy one yourself instead of rear speakers.

You can run a sub with just 2 of the 4 channels of your amp (200 watts or more is enough for a good little sub).

Focus on good fronts, good install (some sound deadening work in the doors will pay off a LOT) Small sub in rear 4 channel amp. DO shop around before you buy gear. Bing.com/live.com cashback might save you a good chunk of change to if you pay via paypal.

There isn't a magic barrier in your car that keeps the sound from getting to the back especially if you have 100W up front on some good components! I personally ONLY use rears for surround sound (movies).

Now my question is if i get the REF 5 1/4'' for the front, what speakers should i get for the rear, the slot is 6 3/4"

so please help, im trying to buy this by tonight