Sign in to follow this  
Notorious97200

2000 watts rms : what is needed?

Hello,

One of my friend has a 15' Xcon sub and he is willing to buy a Sundown 3500 D to play it at 2 ohms.

He has a JBL px 600.4 at 2 ohms for all his speakers.

Everything is (will be) playing on an old Optima yellow and a stock 105 amp alternator.

He wants to upgrade his electrical system : he's installing 0 ga power and ground everywhere and he has planned to do the big3.

We have a local dealer of XS and Kinetic. He knows that his optima is finally quite dead, so he will replace it.

What should he do ?

He would like to play his system a little bit with the engine off for demonstration. But this is not a must have !

I am waiting for advices.

He will get his car back from paint this week, and will start all over his system.

tell him that it is unsafe to power a system of that power with the vehicle off using a stock alternator.

Depending on the battery drain and amount of batteries in the vehicle, the alternator could overheat trying to charge them back up once vehicle is back on.

High output alternators are also not capable of prolonged peak output either but at least with a high output alt, it would charge faster, same rule applies so make sure he knows that.

with just a stock alt, he would want about 85aH in the back next to the amp.

Thanks a lot for this information about alt.

I will tell him that. But he runs "big" systems in his car for years.(maybe what we call "big system" is not like yours in the States !!!)

85 ah you said for the rear battery? I might take one too.

Thanks again from Martinique.