Sign in to follow this  
Hell-Razor

Just ran into a box problem...

Well I sat down tonight thinking I have most things ordered, I may want to double check my trunk space. I re measured and I was off a few inches on the height. My trunk space is 40W by 42depth by 18 high. This will give me about 14.07 cubic feet of total area. Now if I were to build a box and have it exactly 6 cubic feet with an external port to save room this would leave me with 8 cubic feet remaining. I have a feeling I may not have enough air flow to keep a 18 BTL in the trunk ($^%@). I do (i think) have enough room to store one but I would be starving it for air. I measured one of the seats and its about 2.5 feet by about 4 feet in height. I could lower the back to allow it more airflow, but I would eventually need the room to help move drunk asses (but not all the time). What would you guys recommend? I am having a hard time figuring out if I turned an 18" sideways (45 degrees) if I would have the room to clear it and have enough room for excursion... I dug up my camera and ofund out its dead (crap). Pictures will be posted tomorrow or late this morning and ill edit them to show depth and length. Also the back five or six inches of the trunk space is flaired a little bit. It goes out about 6 inches more than the rest (on each side) and are about 8 inches long (again, on each side).

I could go to a single 15" and I know I would have more than enough room for one of those. I am all for the one woofer style, just to me looks nicer... And plus if I could manage a 18" back there it would look way cooler than a 15".

Well I sat down tonight thinking I have most things ordered, I may want to double check my trunk space. I re measured and I was off a few inches on the height. My trunk space is 40W by 42depth by 18 high. This will give me about 14.07 cubic feet of total area. Now if I were to build a box and have it exactly 6 cubic feet with an external port to save room this would leave me with 8 cubic feet remaining. I have a feeling I may not have enough air flow to keep a 18 BTL in the trunk ($^%@). I do (i think) have enough room to store one but I would be starving it for air. I measured one of the seats and its about 2.5 feet by about 4 feet in height. I could lower the back to allow it more airflow, but I would eventually need the room to help move drunk asses (but not all the time). What would you guys recommend? I am having a hard time figuring out if I turned an 18" sideways (45 degrees) if I would have the room to clear it and have enough room for excursion... I dug up my camera and ofund out its dead (crap). Pictures will be posted tomorrow or late this morning and ill edit them to show depth and length. Also the back five or six inches of the trunk space is flaired a little bit. It goes out about 6 inches more than the rest (on each side) and are about 8 inches long (again, on each side).

I could go to a single 15" and I know I would have more than enough room for one of those. I am all for the one woofer style, just to me looks nicer... And plus if I could manage a 18" back there it would look way cooler than a 15".

Well if you wanna waste your money just cause you want something that looks cool then you minus well not even buy an amp or even get a box for it, matter of fact just buy two 18"s and throw them in the trunk and ride with your trunk open so everybody can see that you have 2-18"s. Your system is for you to enjoy, I would rather have my system sounding good then looking cool for others. Just get a 15" that you can fit in there properly with the right box size and it will look cool when you open the trunk and your 15'' is beating down like an 18". Just my .02.

Look into doing 2 12" BTL's

x2, I didnt even think about that last when talking to him. Since you want to wow people and you wanted 2-BTL's from jump, then throw 2-12" BTL's in there and try not to tear your car apart with them. Good Luck making this decision Im choosing subs myself now and just between two different setups like you.

2x 12's might reek havoc on my electrical. each can stand 2k+ watts but I with my alt and batteries I may only be able to pull 2500 tops. My best guess right now is to get a 2500 watt amp and get a single 15...

What would happen though if I were to put a 18 in the trunk and keep a seat down? I am not trying to argue or anything I just don't know what would happen... Or say I left the seats up... I know I would be "starving" the sub for air, but what does this mean?

you have the room to do a box for an 18 and you can even put the box in there and it be loud, i guarantee that...

However, massive pressure requires breathing room and an 18 will create massive pressure.

To get your money's worth, i'd make sure i had enough room around the box to get the most potential possible.

Me, i don't like for things just to work, i like them to work as best as my knowledge will allow them too and my insight tells me that an 18 is just not right for your trunk.

I want you to visualize this so you can understand what i am about to say-

However many speakers you plan on using on a baffle, see if you have enough room on the baffle for 1 more. If you do not, then you will not have adequate port area for best potential!

Next thing is breathing room.

On an estimate scale, after doing the above, you must also virtually have enough room on the outside of the box for 1 more speaker for the air to breathe! or some slight overhead room which i'll explain in a minute.

so, lets say you face everything toward the rear and you want to run 2 12s.

Well, 2 12s is roughly 25" wide, then u gonna need about another 12" of space for port and the rest of the box so lets say box is 37" wide. Well, now you are gonna need aroudn another 12" on the side for breathing room or more...

This is a major factor for trunked setups.

That's why many competitors suggest 2 10s is the best for trunked setups.

I'm not sayin they're right 100% of the time but i spelled it out as to how it works for potential purposes.

Look at Thorshammer - he broke a 151 with 2 10s in a trunk.

alright. That is exactly what I was looking for! I understand I could fit one in the truck but it would not be able to breath, only take shallow breaths. I will try for a single 15 because that's all I have room for electrical wise. This will allow me to put the extra (50$ i think) towards a better amp lol....

What amp would you push a 15" BTL with -- I have a 120 amp alt, going to put in 2 DC3100 batteries eventually (starting with 1). Second one going in in a few months. I know of somebody on these forums that has a 140 amp alt and hes pushing 3500 watts with ease he said. Should I try for the kicker 2500.1? or the SAZ-3000D? Or should I stick with my origional of the AQ-2200D

well, there's a guy around here running 6000w on stock alt... the alternator is the source of power.

What people don't realize is 2 things is happening to an alt that is asked to put out more power than it can do-

1 - the diodes may die eventually due to overcurrent and...

2 - the alt may overheat trying to charge the batts back up.

If you got a large aH battery bank and a low output alt, the alt may die due to overheating if u drain your batts down low or if u excessively go over your alt's current output rating for daily.

I wouldnt run no more than that aq2200d on there for daily until the alt is upgraded for longevity use.

Alright. It was suggested to me that with a battery bank (the D3100) run the Kicker 2500.1 and 4x SDC2.5 10"s. What do you guys think? I would assume the box will be ported to about 33hz. I would have more cone surface than a 18" and be puttnig a lof of power at all four of them. I am looking for suggestions also to what to turn my box to (why 33hz vs 30 hz vs 40 hz...yada yada) and if these subs will do the best for being 10's. For example, should I go to the SSD 10"s instead of the SDC2.5 10"s?

Also I dont know if I would throw the same ammount of power at a single 18 or 15 which would be louder. I would assume the 10's would be just as loud but hit harder because of the greater cone area. I figured out the area of a 18 would be roughly 255 inches, a single 15 would be 177 inches (two would obviously be about 354), 4 10's thuogh would give me 314. I would have a little more umph with two 15's but then all my trunk space would be nuked.

The idea that just popped into my head was in most competitions they only go by single or double subs (1x or 2x) and not by 4x. The more than two usually puts you into a custom catigory which I would assume is harder? I think this is what happens but not sure. Again I am a rookie when it comes to this kind of stuff, so you guys tell me. Let me know what you think. Too much power? Too little? Yes this is a good idea? No this idea sucks?

perhaps create a poll.....get everyone involved.... i am likeing your 4 10's :fing34:

perhaps create a poll.....get everyone involved.... i am likeing your 4 10's :fing34:

Why thank you. I know a guy that runs 3 10's and they hit pretty hard. The only thing though is I think hes throwing 1k watts at all three of them. So 333.333333...w total. Im hoping I can put him to shame. Why wiring kit(s) would I need to wire all of this?

This is just a general question but once you wire the amp to the power, what do you wire from the amp to the sub? Is it zero gague once again?

Edited by Hell-Razor

uh, the wording in your question is just a little scratchy, but if i read it right, yes 0 gauge is the ticket for the amp, as far as that goes all power and ground wires need to be the same, if useing 0 gauge be sure to do a big three upgade all in 0 gauge, 12 volt electrical is a circle, so you dont want to choke the power flow anywhere.

as far as your speaker wire goes, 10 gauge is fine, how ever 8 gauge seems to be growing on alot of folks.

some where in there i read about kits, wiring kits? uh sometimes kits are better buys, sometimes , just buy the spool and use your part and sell the rest off to a bud that needs some, make some of your cash back.

uh, the wording in your question is just a little scratchy, but if i read it right, yes 0 gauge is the ticket for the amp, as far as that goes all power and ground wires need to be the same, if useing 0 gauge be sure to do a big three upgade all in 0 gauge, 12 volt electrical is a circle, so you dont want to choke the power flow anywhere.

as far as your speaker wire goes, 10 gauge is fine, how ever 8 gauge seems to be growing on alot of folks.

some where in there i read about kits, wiring kits? uh sometimes kits are better buys, sometimes , just buy the spool and use your part and sell the rest off to a bud that needs some, make some of your cash back.

no no I meant like from the amp to the sub. What kind of wire do I use for that? I had a single 10" mtx 8500 and that was 4 gauge wire from the battery to the amp. Then from the amp to the speaker itself looked like 16 or 14 gauge wire....

So ontop of all the amp wiring kits I am going to want to order some 4 gauge for the amp to the sub?

From amp to speaker can be 8 gauge or less, I run 13awg from all three of my subs to an 8 gauge connector and on the other end 8 gauge wire going to the amp.

So ontop of all the amp wiring kits I am going to want to order some 4 gauge for the amp to the sub?

:ehh:

and by 4 i mean 8 gauge. Do I want to order some sort of special connectors to get it wired from (and including) the amp to the sub terminals? or is it a type of screw terminal?

I am starting to google around somewhat and it seems that a lot of people think the AQ SDC2.5 Series woofer is a cheap 10" that cant handle a lot of power. Somebody said on another forum (digging up) that he was putting 2k watts at three of them and they blew. Yeah I understand he may have done something wrong but what if he didn't? Yeah I am not going to be throwing a lot of power at them I just fear that I may not be putting enough out for four. I also don't want to be disappointed. I guess I am just worried about the fact that I don't understand how 4 10's can put out enough pounding for what I want. I am looking at the 18" BTL and just wonder how much more is that doing that what I can. For example check

and
video out. How would 4 10"s compare to that? I guess all the unsure questions are a good sign of my inexperience.

And my second question is is this the best setup for what I listen to, for what I want and for the money im going to be putting into it (3500~). I just don't know...

hell razor my friend, you need to freez the buying process all together for a little while! First thing first, there is no top to this, once addicted, you will never be done, there is always a upgrade, there is always a new trick or method to try, always. You need to know that this is a hobby, for entertainment, there is so many varibles, it is unreal. I , as does so many others, share your anxioity on what to buy and how it will sound. I urge you to identify your budget, which it looks like you have already. Then identify your style, what installs just look bad a** to you. Find a few products that catch your eye and read up on them. Then start to zero in on putting it all together, nice and slow, no shortcuts, and as you learn more, upgrade it and tear some out, rebuild, and never stop. as far as researching products on line, be carefull to expose yourself to "good" info, our sound club meet a guy a few weeks ago who has a buddy doing 238 db. off of 6 12"s in a trunk car! see what I mean, there is always going to be that guy that is just full of sh*t, talking ,just to hear himself, I suggest sticking around here, no bull sh*t here, and when there is, watchout! these guys call em' out quick. If you are ready to start this journey, pull up the electrical part, read all of it, start your build there, then your head unit and front stage, big bass is awarding 10 times more when it has a solid front stage to keep up with it. By this time you will be ready to start to sound deaden your car, some or all, you'll know whats right for you, then.......then it is time to look into putting some time into learning all about the enclosures, snatch up some subs you have been watching and install them. trust me, if you take this route, you will be a walking tour guide of your system, you will know what you got inside and out, you will be proud of what you have built, then you will know that no matter what the next guy has, your proud of yours.

Chop

hell razor my friend, you need to freez the buying process all together for a little while! First thing first, there is no top to this, once addicted, you will never be done, there is always a upgrade, there is always a new trick or method to try, always. You need to know that this is a hobby, for entertainment, there is so many varibles, it is unreal. I , as does so many others, share your anxioity on what to buy and how it will sound. I urge you to identify your budget, which it looks like you have already. Then identify your style, what installs just look bad a** to you. Find a few products that catch your eye and read up on them. Then start to zero in on putting it all together, nice and slow, no shortcuts, and as you learn more, upgrade it and tear some out, rebuild, and never stop. as far as researching products on line, be carefull to expose yourself to "good" info, our sound club meet a guy a few weeks ago who has a buddy doing 238 db. off of 6 12"s in a trunk car! see what I mean, there is always going to be that guy that is just full of sh*t, talking ,just to hear himself, I suggest sticking around here, no bull sh*t here, and when there is, watchout! these guys call em' out quick. If you are ready to start this journey, pull up the electrical part, read all of it, start your build there, then your head unit and front stage, big bass is awarding 10 times more when it has a solid front stage to keep up with it. By this time you will be ready to start to sound deaden your car, some or all, you'll know whats right for you, then.......then it is time to look into putting some time into learning all about the enclosures, snatch up some subs you have been watching and install them. trust me, if you take this route, you will be a walking tour guide of your system, you will know what you got inside and out, you will be proud of what you have built, then you will know that no matter what the next guy has, your proud of yours.

Chop

I like this. I should have realized this a while back. With your post do you mean 136dB? I think its only physically possible to pull like 196 or 194 or something dB. As for right now I have ordered my frontend system and it should be here sometime this week.

I need to look more on these 10s. I think they will do what I want them to eventually. The only problem is is I cant find any good sources for the AQ SDC2.5 Series on reviews. One guys says there awesome subs. Ok well that makes me feel a little better. One other guy may have tried them and feel that XXXXX makes a little bit better sub and a little sharper and louder for the watts put at them when they are the same as the SDC2.5.

Edited by Hell-Razor

Chop

I like this. I should have realized this a while back. With your post do you mean 136dB? I think its only physically possible to pull like 196 or 194 or something dB. As for right now I have ordered my frontend system and it should be here sometime this week.

I need to look more on these 10s. I think they will do what I want them to eventually. The only problem is is I cant find any good sources for the AQ SDC2.5 Series on reviews. One guys says there awesome subs. Ok well that makes me feel a little better. One other guy may have tried them and feel that XXXXX makes a little bit better sub and a little sharper and louder for the watts put at them when they are the same as the SDC2.5.

no that is what was so hilarious.....238 db....lol again about it

i personally have not looked at AQ, perhaps i will give it a look after while, hard typing and surfing the net with one hand......... feeding grand baby!!!

no AQ forum, nothing really pulled on google....bahumba

well, if i may ask, where did the interest generate from?