1sashenka

15" SSA Xcon or 15" Fi Q with B/P option

Hey guys. I have no experience with either sub and I would like some feedback from those who actually have had personal experience with both subs instead of just guessing from specs. Which will be louder on 1400 watts rms amp? This will be a sealed box of 2 cubes with 2 lbs of polyfil. Usable frequency 30hz/24db - 80hz/24db. Personally when I look at the specs I am guessing the performance might be on par with the Xcon being a tad louder, but Fi is around 32 lbs and Xcon is around 47 lbs, so in terms of weight Fi is a better option, but is the extra weight of Xcon worth it if it is in fact that much louder? This is for a daily driver.

Thanks

Weight has nothing to do with which driver will perform better.

If you want loud, you should be using a ported box. If you can't fit a ported 15" driver, you should be looking at a 12" ported driver.

Based upon your "usable frequencies", ported is a MUCH better option anyway.

perhaps a little more read time on enclosures will zero you in on which sub you will choose, they do go hand in hand....ported is where you want to be. mdizzle, on here, moved from a fi Q to xcon , he seems to like ssa's sub quit a bit, perhaps hit him up for a reveiew. :fing34:

Edited by porkchop

The Xcon is in a different class than the Q. The Q is in the same class with the Icon, among other subs. If you want some thing that's Fi related in the class of the xcon, find a dealer and, get a Ascendant Audio Havok. I have an Icon and love it, truth be told I would of bought a Q and a Cadence amp if there hadn't of been a package deal with an Icon and a Sundown amp. If I had the $ to spend out of the two, I'd pick the Xcon, your going to have to upgrade your electrical. You'll be happy either way.

Edited by vellocet

Thanks for the input guys. Please try to stick to the question at hand. The power is 1400 watts, box is sealed, two cubes with polyfil. Frequency is 30hz/24db to 80hz/24db. Which is louder on that power in that box?

If you think Havoc is better than loaded Fi Q in everyway, then I will replace the choice to between Xcon and Havoc, but at this point the Havoc is close in weight to the Xcon, and I would rather get the lighter driver if the performance is very comparable, that is why Fi Q is very appealing.

Thanks for the input guys. Please try to stick to the question at hand. The power is 1400 watts, box is sealed, two cubes with polyfil. Frequency is 30hz/24db to 80hz/24db. Which is louder on that power in that box?

If you think Havoc is better than loaded Fi Q in everyway, then I will replace the choice to between Xcon and Havoc, but at this point the Havoc is close in weight to the Xcon, and I would rather get the lighter driver if the performance is very comparable, that is why Fi Q is very appealing.

First off you are never going to get a straight answer cause everything is subjective to the install. Second WEIGHT of the sub has nothing to do with the proformance of a sub. Third state your music preference, your goals of the system, car it is going in, and other equipment.

First off you are never going to get a straight answer cause everything is subjective to the install. Second WEIGHT of the sub has nothing to do with the proformance of a sub. Third state your music preference, your goals of the system, car it is going in, and other equipment.

^^^^^^^^^ :fing34: yuuuuup :fing34: ^^^^^^^^

If weight is that much of an issue then go Q, Havoc or Icon and leave it at that. If weight isnt issue which i think it is, then go for the Xcon (anybody on here will tell you yes the Xcon is worth the extra money and weight over those subs). So at the end of the day list what goals you have, if you want ta low weight sub what will you give up and vice versa if you want a heavy sub what are you willing to give up?

Edited by jay-cee

With the requirements at hand, and looking at the sub specs, I think Q will outperform other drivers. Not to mention it is cheaper and weighs less. Even still the performance differences in given scenerio will be marginal at best. If I had more power and more room and weight was no issue, then other drivers could be pushed further then Q obviuosly. It seems Q with b/p/ will be the best choice HERE. Thanks everyone.

Second WEIGHT of the sub has nothing to do with the proformance of a sub.

^^^^^^^^^ :fing34: yuuuuup :fing34: ^^^^^^^^

Not sure why this is being addressed twice already. If weight had nothing to do with sub performance, then I would like to get a sub performing just like Xcon with xmax of 31mm and 1750 wrms with all the spiders and brut motor strength etc, but weighing 10 lbs, however, that would be the only option for most of us, and there would be no vs threads, cause that would be a no brainer. Neodymium is another way to go, but I dont really see anything I like with those offerings. I am simply looking at the weight / performance ratio for my choice with requirements at hand. And here is a smiley, so you dont think I am being arguementative, and another thread turned bad :) Now, the question was very simple. The choice would be one or the other. Did anyone on here comment yet, who actually had first hand experience with drivers at hand?

I dont see how this would help, but for those who need to know what music I like, it is mainly house and trance. I drive a hatchback Golf. System is daily driver as mentioned before. I may swap the CDT's if I feel like it to Hertz MLK2 I have sitting around for my next car, which may be an Audi. Most likely I will just keep the CDT's in for a while, even though I am not entirely happy with them. I prefer regulated amps all around and that is what I use these days in my ride. I have other sub amps laying around I could use like Sundown 1500D, Critical Mass UL2500, but I found they are inferior for SQ to Arc 2300SE as I hate class D sound, efficiency is not an issue with my upgraded alt and my daily power requirements, and I also prefer to run subs at higher impedance, so this is the amp I would use, and it does 1800 wrms at 2 ohms, but I never plan to use all of it, I prefer lotsa headroom, but sometimes I have those basshead moments, and I would like to get one of these subs, and I only have room and weight I have already mentioned, and I will not go ported. Weight is the main issue, cause the Golf is lowered with low profile tires, and the weight is killing the suspention, and makes the car's rear sag and that looks like crap. Criteria was very simple, it does not have to get complicated. I have several other sub set-ups, but mostly pure SQ like a couple of Mag v4's, a single DIYMA, a couple of 12" Arc D Series, and a triple 10" CSS SDX's. I had a ported 12" Mag v2 long ago and I loved it, so I figured why not get a similar type sub in 15" size for my collection and next fun project. That is my intent and it is only a plan at this point. I am having fun with this. The rest of my gear that I am currently using is in the sig. I didnt want to inially go through all this, but here it is and hope this clears things up a bit.

Thanks guys :D

Edited by 1sashenka

The Q is not a bad sub but like said before the X-con is another level above it. SQ wise i feel the x-con is much stronger and its capabilities in the spl realm surpass that of my previous Fi BL so i see no better choice for a driver. I have yet to be impressed by any driver since getting my X-cons.

Why don't you Take a look at the Icon?

You would have a lot of headroom on your amp!

I can tell you this sub is Loud And sounds gooood!!!