bubbagumper6

Can an 18" BTL handle 3kw daily?

Title says it all...I have a Crunch GP3000D and would love to move up to an 18" Fully Loaded BTL but I'm concerned it may not be able to handle the power...box is still up in the air, I have MORE than enough space to work with (almost 9 cubes)

Right now the electrical is a 235A DC Power alt, big 3, and yellowtop under the hood.

So before I proceed with any plans, with an 18" Fully loaded take 3kw daily without problems?

yep, with light clipping.

That sub should be able to handle 4-5kw daily as long as it's not clipped and for moderate use only.

nonono, no clipping! Clean power only :)

Also what the heck is moderate use? I mean I don't drive around pounding rap all the time (listen to a lot of metal, love the feeling of that bass drum kicking me in the chest), but occasionally I throw on some bass HEAVY stuff...I don't want it dying on me :(

it depends on how deaf you already are...

do you actually plan on listening to songs.. a whole song at that level?

If you do then no... stick with 3kw max

You can always turn the gain down.

They will take 3k easy depending on how seinsible the user is at the end of the day.

I'm planning to put 3.5-4kw through mine daily.

I promise I could destroy almost anything with 1500W if it was a contest. Use your head and you'll be fine, plenty of guys serve up big power to them, it's all about knowing it's limits, building a proper box so you don't NEED to push compression to get your desired output, proper crossover use, and backing off at teltale signs of stress.

I promise I could destroy almost anything with 1500W if it was a contest. Use your head and you'll be fine, plenty of guys serve up big power to them, it's all about knowing it's limits, building a proper box so you don't NEED to push compression to get your desired output, proper crossover use, and backing off at teltale signs of stress.

I know how to do all of those things except how to build the box for the sub. I mean, I know how to build a box, but I don't really know all about building the box so the sub doesn't have to work as hard. I think you just need to keep it small with less port area correct?

Then you aren't getting 3k out of that amp anyways, especially if you haven't supercharged your electrical. If you haven't and you set your gains to 3k I wouldn't expect the sub to live, but that would be the fault of the gain setting and not that the sub can't take 3kW. Not sure why you'd want to throw 3k at it anyways. Even if you set your gain at 2k your ears will NOT be able to tell the difference in output. It will be measurable, but not audible.

Then you aren't getting 3k out of that amp anyways, especially if you haven't supercharged your electrical. If you haven't and you set your gains to 3k I wouldn't expect the sub to live, but that would be the fault of the gain setting and not that the sub can't take 3kW. Not sure why you'd want to throw 3k at it anyways. Even if you set your gain at 2k your ears will NOT be able to tell the difference in output. It will be measurable, but not audible.

What makes you say that amp won't put out 3k of clean power? I realize my electrical isn't the best in the world, but I've got more than enough alternator power, just need a little more on the battery side.

What makes you say that amp won't put out 3k of clean power? I realize my electrical isn't the best in the world, but I've got more than enough alternator power, just need a little more on the battery side.

Agreed that amp probably WON'T do 3KW. I highly doubt that real world you'll keep operating voltage high enough for that for more than a fraction of a second. AND the difference between 3KW and 2KW would likely only be barely noticeable without a meter.

If you tune your box high (mid to high 30's) you will get a LOT more output in useable frequencies. Big boxes with Big ports are efficient.

Basically your 2 types of failure are thermal and mechanical. Thermal will likely happen >40hz and mechanical < 40hz.

Low tuned box or smaller sealed boxes will protect against mechanical failure, but small sealed is enefficient overall and low tuned is inefficient in the higher frequencies and you'll likely run more power to things (risking thermal failure).

Of course you can protect against mechanical failure by using a subsonic filter if you tune high or use a large sealed box. SO my suggestion it tune high in a large box with as much port area as you can fit and use a subsonic filter to cut off the stuff below tuning. Personally I tune low for useful program material in movies and organ music, but in 98% of music you'll NEVER notice not having <30hz.

A GOOD 18" sub on 2KW shoud be painfully loud in a good efficient box.

Don't take my word for it, go read tests. With a normal voltage they don't. Again it is a pointless discussion anyways as you WON'T hear it.

besides, the smallest increase in volume u can hear is about 3 db's. mathematically, to gain 3 dbs u need DOUBLE power!

besides, the smallest increase in volume u can hear is about 3 db's. mathematically, to gain 3 dbs u need DOUBLE power!

never heard that before...care to back that statement up with a link?

Do a google search. . .

Average person can hear a change of 1 dB.

3 dB is the mathematical gain from double power, but you rarely see it in the real world.

If you add 2 equivalent sources in phase, mathematically you gain 6 dB. If they are not in phase, it will be 3-6 dB. Hard to predict in the real world, since you will not know the phase difference. . .

10 dB is double loudness to the average human ear.

If you are running a dual 2 ohm sub, your actual impedance will be higher than 1 ohm, so you will more than likely not see 3000 watts. . .But if you do, they BTL will take it no problem :)

Do a google search. . .

3 dB is the mathematical gain from double power, but you rarely see it in the real world.

Actually 3dB is noted as the average that a human can perceive differently. In back to back scenario's it can get closer to a dB though

Do a google search. . .

Actually 3dB is noted as the average that a human can perceive differently. In back to back scenario's it can get closer to a dB though

question:

is it easier to hear a difference in say 87db to 90 db or 140db to 143db @ lets say 70hz, i would guess its easier to hear the change at a lower level, am i right? sorry if i didnt word that very well. i understand our ear are more sensitive to high frequencies but i never heard if there is a difference like i described above..

sorry for the thread jack..

Do a google search. . .

question:

is it easier to hear a difference in say 87db to 90 db or 140db to 143db @ lets say 70hz, i would guess its easier to hear the change at a lower level, am i right? sorry if i didnt word that very well. i understand our ear are more sensitive to high frequencies but i never heard if there is a difference like i described above..

u got it backwards. You can hear an increase of 3db better at a higher level than you can at a lower level... but once you get so high, everything is perceived so loud that it's hard to tell a difference again.

148-151 definitely tell the difference..

120-123 likely but not as noticeable as the above.

170-173 too loud to possibly perceive

wow ok i stand corrected.. thanks for the info.

u can have your thread back now op, sorry bout the jack..

Do a google search. . .

question:

u got it backwards. You can hear an increase of 3db better at a higher level than you can at a lower level... but once you get so high, everything is perceived so loud that it's hard to tell a difference again.

148-151 definitely tell the difference..

120-123 likely but not as noticeable as the above.

170-173 too loud to possibly perceive

Nope. At higher levels you are less sensitive. Not a straight off curve, but definitely the case. Obviously at really high levels it becomes worse. On top of that your ear is less sensitive to these differences at really high and really low frequencies.

so it works more on a range where you can hear an increase or decrease normally, and outside that range you are less sensitive. makes sense to me