Sign in to follow this  
AConnelly09

New setup, starting from scratch

A buddy of mine is looking to upgrade his audio, and between him and I we are trying to get some ideas about what to buy. He has a new(ish) (2004-2006 probably) cadillac escalade. Not positive of the max dims, but I can get exacts if necessary. I'm just assuming similar to most other large SUV's. He is running his stock head unit but willing to upgrade if necessary, which will most likely happen.

He is considering (2) 18's or maybe even (4) 15's or 18's. I am looking for suggestions as to what subs and amps to buy, but even more so to what else is necessary to accomodate such a large amount of RMS. He is running his stock alt. So, besides the Big 3 which I know he will need, what should he be considering as far as HO alt, bigger/multiple batteries, etc? I am leaning more towards (2) 18's since I really don't think he's considering all of the extra work (4) would be.

So, any recommendations on subs/amp, and any info as far as what will be required to do this?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention. Budget is up in the air. He got bent over on the two kickers that he has in his truck now for like 2 grand for two 15 inch l7's. Lets say between 0-2000 to start.

Edited by AConnelly09

2 or 4 18's + amps + head unit + speakers + wiring + batteries + new alt +... for $2000 ?

This will be difficult, quite impossible. Unless you buy used or really cheap gear?

You don't have the budget for such setup. Maybe I'm wrong!

Good luck

2 or 4 18's + amps + head unit + speakers + wiring + batteries + new alt +... for $2000 ?

This will be difficult, quite impossible. Unless you buy used or really cheap gear?

You don't have the budget for such setup. Maybe I'm wrong!

Good luck

Does not hurt to dream, but I agree with Notorious. Neither of you seem to have any idea how much it costs to build something that will power 2 18's much less 4 of them.

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

I am about to do a build with 2 18's and it will cost me 2 grand and I already have 1 amp, 1 sub, 1 batt, And a H/u. So 2g just for alt, sub, amp, a couple batts, and deadner.

Either more money or less equipment in the install, you guys choose.

I talked it over with him. We've decided on doing both. Budget is up to 3500. We are also just sticking with two 18's

2 18" Audioque HDC3s D1

Audioque 3500D @ 1ohm

Kinetik 1800 under hood, Kinetik 2400 in back

250 - 300amp HO alt (DC Power, Mechman, Ohio Gen, DB Linc, etc)

Knukoncepts Kollosus 1/0 awg wiring(big 3 upgrade and for wiring batts and amps)

For the headunit we are going with IVA-W203/P1 by alpine.

the AQ stuff sounds good, but as far as batteries go, the kinetiks are great and i have one, but i would roll with the Deka's for 187 each and get like 3 or 4 and then use some more money on deadening, bc even some deadening is better than none. and those 2 AQ's are gonna have serious bang and flex.

and look for 2/0 or 3/0 welding wire for the big 3 and run the rest Knu

the AQ stuff sounds good, but as far as batteries go, the kinetiks are great and i have one, but i would roll with the Deka's for 187 each and get like 3 or 4 and then use some more money on deadening, bc even some deadening is better than none. and those 2 AQ's are gonna have serious bang and flex.

and look for 2/0 or 3/0 welding wire for the big 3 and run the rest Knu

X2. Look at like XS power batts. D3100, The dekas are good too. I also own a kinetik, but for the price I would go with A different brand. Also, knu stuff is awesome, I run some knu wire, but for the budget side of the deal I would run welding cable. 2/0 or 4/0 front to back, for big 3, and between each batt in the back. And 1/0 from batt to amps. Take the money you save from the batts and wire and get some deadner bc you will need it, unless you want to sound like a pop can rollin down the road. lol.

Edited by mdizzle5472