Sign in to follow this  
TH3_FRB

SSD10 lacking bottom end

I'm running an SSD10 in a ~.8cuft sealed box with 400W from a PDX. I'm mostly satisfied but it seems to lack the very bottom end...just doesn't have any oomph and sounds like response rolls of pretty sharp. I only notice it once in a while on certain tracks where I expect to get a low hit. I've had this sub for a couple of years but I swear the enclosure specs used to call for a larger enclosure compared to the .2-.6 I see now. That's why I'm in the bigger box. Can this thing really perform well in .3-.4cuft?

If you want low end port it and tune low.

I smell what you're cooking but I've had the response I'm looking for in the past from a sealed enclosure and overall that's the sort of application that fits my taste best. I'll either figure out what to do with this 10" or find something else.

Do you have a subsonic filter turned on?

I had a 10" ssd w/ copper coil. It was in a sealed enclosure. I can't remember the dimensions, but it was glorified in the low end.

You have 400 watts in a shoe box sized enclosure..

It isn't going to emphasize the 'low end'..you probably aren't getting it remotely close to full linear stroke with that little bit of power.

Port it..

Well, it 's a good bit bigger than suggested (.2-.6) but I agree that I don't have a ton of power on tap. I'm not interested in anything bigger than 1cuft so ported isn't gonna happen.

It isn't going to emphasize the 'low end'..you probably aren't getting it remotely close to full linear stroke with that little bit of power.

Port it..

I wish it was that simple. That's actually what it sounds like though - like the bottom octave is being rolled off. The PDX5 doesn't have a subsonic filter.

Do you have a subsonic filter turned on?

I would say more power. I just finished installing a SSD 10" in a 1.5ft ported enclosure tuned to 33hz powered with 850wrms. It plays low, loud , and clear.

Edited by outhopu

Port it..

I had a Alpine mrp f850 on mine at 4 ohms, So around 400 watts. It did very well in the low end. But it was also in a regular cab s dime.

Edited by mdizzle5472

I'm considering stepping up to a PDX 1.1000 or eD 9.1. The eD amp is stupid cheap right now but I'd really prefer to keep it small and under my front seat. The PDX fits perfectly but I could almost buy 3 9.1s for the same price.

Sign in to follow this