wayneo99

2 12" alpine type r's

my friend just bought 2 type r's. i recommended 2.5 cuft per sub but the alpine recommendations are 1.75. that seems very small to me for a 12". they are gonna be runnin off a aq1200d amp at 1 ohms. will they do fine in a 5 cuft box dual chamber tuned to 38hz?

It depends on what you mean by fine.

Stick with manufacturer suggestion? ;)

I'd actually say it depends on your capability to listen for stress in the driver. Alpine's recommendations are small, but they need to be otherwise it is easier to destroy the driver. Sounds like you are building a fart box which that sub works okay for, but that doesn't make me confident that you will listen carefully for stress.

if you go above those recomendations, then the subs may not react to the power very well. the larger the box the less power the sub can handle due to over excursion and bottoming out. like said before stick with 1.75 cu ft per sub.

I owned a pair in a ported box built to alpines specs, and they worked more than "fine", damn loud for a somewhat inexpensive pair of 12's. (got mine for 228/pair new)

wifes 12 is only in 1.5 ft^3, thats what they recommended, thats what I did. and got good results from doing so.

I had a Type R 12 in a 33Hz 1/4 wave pipe...gave it 1000 watts all day with no problems...the suspension finally loosened up after being underpowered in a sealed box for two years.

But the suspension was perfectly fine...no noises at all right to near xmax.

ive got mine in a 5.8 cu box at 35 and it is loud. i def built it a little too big but i still like it. i think 4.5-5 should be good imo. but make sure you tune it good or you will smoke em fast. if i wasnt getting 18s again id sell mine and build a new one. whats it going in? and whats your dimensions

until I read your sig I was thinking you had one of them in a box that big. the mean machines are rated RMS unlike the cheaper ones that are rated "maxx" right?

so that amp really can put out 1500? how much are you giving those subs in that big box.

ya haha definately got 2 in there...actually that box would be great for 3 now that i think about it.

Ya the Mean Machines are RMS rated. not "Maxx". i saw a few places that they put out more than rated. someone benched it at 1737 i believe. but the R's are D2 so ive got it running at 2ohms. so 1000 between the 2. they never get hot or stinky unless its consistent banging for 20-30 min on lows like gucci, jeezy, something along those lines.

had my pair off a 9.1 for a while (not to amps full potential) and then had them taking the full brunt of a bridged 9.2X with no problems. that must be pretty loud in a pickup.

wow i bet those puckers were jumpin out the box!

ya its pretty loud for 2 mainstream lower priced woofers. i would take my setup all day over L7's. ive had L7's before and i thought they just sounded sloppy. this setup definately shakes. im happy with it, but also cant wait for 18's again

they didnt seem to mind that power at all. maybe since the box wasnt even giving them 2/3 the space yours are in... but the moonroof was trying to jump out of the car, and the rear window was flexing a ton.

I havent seen much in person but it was the loudest 2-12" setup ive heard. sucked when I had to sell it to a friend cuz I needed money... he then sold it all and bought a 13W7 and a 1000/1...

not sure if whoever built the box and set it up just shouldnt be doing that kind of thing or what(probably), but I think it was less impressive than the type R's were.

but back on topic if yours work for you in 2.9 a peice, im sure theyll be fine in 2.5 a peice. is that accounting for driver displacement?

ya and bracing. i 45'd all the corners in the entire box with 2x2's and i braced and crossbraced and fully glassed the entire inside 2 layers. strong as a rock!

I've played with a bunch of Rs in the past... The 12s I had my best success(SPL + SQ) wise in 2.3ft3 per sub w/ 30 in2 of port @ 34hz for daily purposes. I could run each one around 900w daily without any issues really, would get a lil stinky after extended periods of time @ higher volume. For burps(went as high as 1800 or so watts per sub, before I got any major failures) I ran 1.6ft3 @ 44hz w/ 25 in2 of port and for being a $100 sub it put up sum big numbers.