Burbarry

front stage opinons

I want to know what is the best set of mids you have ever had. let me know I have doing a SQ setup in my wifes car and am stuck between a few. i want something that gets loud and clear. Only post if you have owned them.

Big fan of the Accuton C90, but not so sure that you can implement them well with how specific your question was.

Big fan of the Accuton C90, but not so sure that you can implement them well with how specific your question was.

Never heard of those before. But over all I am looking for a decent set to replace some 4" dash speakers, and 6x9 door speakers. All wiil be powered by an amplifier like the one in my signature. What is your thoughts on running set of 4" coaxial and set of 6" coaxial or 6x9 2 or 3 ways? Instead of running componet setup.

Never heard of those before. But over all I am looking for a decent set to replace some 4" dash speakers, and 6x9 door speakers. All wiil be powered by an amplifier like the one in my signature. What is your thoughts on running set of 4" coaxial and set of 6" coaxial or 6x9 2 or 3 ways? Instead of running componet setup.

I personally wouldnt run coaxials, either stick with the components or go active. Just my .02

passive components or active as said above are your best options. just need to fab up some baffles to mount the mid in the door..

Ok, this is going in the wifes car and I will need something that gets loud and is clear, that is why I said coaxials. I figured for the price coaxials would get louder.

nah not really, any decent set of comps with about 100rms a side will be plenty. running multiple set of speakers will sound bad. if your wife hasn't ever heard anything nice before, you could get away with something like some pg rsd 6.5 components for like 70 bucks off ebay, and get some deadening for the doors. i know my gf doesnt have the ears for a real good sounding set of speakers. but if you got money to blow then carry on with some expensive shit... tell her its bose or some fancy brand, she wont know the difference...

Edited by lithium

She has a Dodge Charger, and it has 6x9's in the door and 4" in the dash. So I figured I would replace them. I was looking at some CDT's, and maybe some morel, or even mach5's with a diamond tweeters that I have laying around. I was just looking at what is the down side to coaxials vs. comps? and what are some good brands of comps out there that are efficient as well as loud and clear.

So you no longer are looking for the best like the thread states in the first post? i know that is an obvious no considering you reference 4" drivers, 6x9's and coaxials. Huge difference between that and a "mid"

Dynaudio System 240 MKII active, not passive. That damn poly-silicon switch., that's why I bypassed the passive and went active.

Forget about the coaxial idea. Now I am deciding on a good set of comps. I am going to just get rid of the 4" dash speaker that she has. lets just get some options on here for what would get loud and clear for comps. I will be putting them in a baffel with soundeadner for the doors. I might even make a custom pannel for the door since there is not much room for a kick pannel. Let me know your opinions on comps that are in the $300 limit.

sorry cant recommend anything, i cant imagine spending 300 bucks on passives.... i honestly wonder how much better one pair of 300 dollar speakers could sound then another when they are restricted by a passive xover in such a devastating way... your really just going to have to buy something or go out and listen to some sets... i doubt anyone could just say hey here is a set of 300 dollar speakers, they are the best ever made.....

Edited by lithium

I just put a limit of $300 I would like it if they were cheaper. I just don't think there is going to be a big gain going from $300 up to $1000 set.

Maybe even an active setup, but I have never done an active setup before. I might try it with the wifes car to see how it turns out. Has anyone ran the Mach5 mid?

I just put a limit of $300 I would like it if they were cheaper. I just don't think there is going to be a big gain going from $300 up to $1000 set.

Maybe even an active setup, but I have never done an active setup before. I might try it with the wifes car to see how it turns out. Has anyone ran the Mach5 mid?

Yep, a great value for money mid. I've used it for midbass (63hz-500hz) and midrange (80hz-2500hz wouldn't go higher though) and have been really happy with its performance. Easily keeps up with more expensive equipment even off axis mounted in a door. Certainly came alive when I threw 200wrms at it compared to the 50wrms I had before.

Jono

go active, its not as hard as some might make it seem. the mli's are a great value, for your first attempt id recommend u do a 2 way w/ a tweeter.

Here is a few options I have been looking at:

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5207/CLS60A--CDT-Audio-Classic-65"-2Way-Component-Speakers.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p1090/CL61A--CDT-Audio-Classic-65"-2Way-Component-Speakers.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p4927/RE65-COMP--RE-Audio-65"-2-Way-4-Ohm-RE-Series-Component-Set.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p3377/S60--Boston-Acoustics-65"-2-Way-Component-System.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6766/DSG216--MB-Quart-65"-2-Way-Component-Speaker-System.htm

Let me know which ones you guys think I should get. I can get a great deal on the RE ones from the dealer here in town. I am leaning towards them just want your input on what you guys think. The only reason I put the MB quarts in there is because I will be running these mids off of a MBQuart amp.

rant

I am in a hotel with an uber slow connection. ie, not clicking on links. Next time just state what they are, if you want to add a link you can too but do realize those that need to click the links can't really help you anyways.

/rant

If he has a spending limit of $300 there is no way he is going to be able to find an active crossover and a decent set of mids and tweets for that price. Not to mention he would need a 4 channel amplifier. Active is better but if you do not know what you are doing it is not worth it. I do not mean to degrade your intellect or experience in audio by any means. Save yourself the headache and just buy a set of passive components.

I am not a fan of the lower line cdt. My friend bought a pair and I personally thought they should have sounded a lot better. I have never heard that particular model re component set. I had a couple sets of the re xxx components and they sounded decent. The highs were a little soft though. I am a big fan of boston acoustics. My mom's 300c came with their "factory grade" stuff and it sounds incredible. I had a pair of the mb quarts and they are just ok. Their lower lines are in a different ball game than their q line. I also do not like their tweeter as they are too tinny. In my opinion I would buy the boston acoustics and cross them over at 70 hZ. I would imagine you are installing a subwoofer correct?

$300 is just for the mids. I have a amp already. I was thinking about 2 sets of comps. The list above has links but here is the names with modle numbers:

CL-S60A - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" 2-Way Component

CL-61A - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers

RE6.5 COMP - RE Audio 6.5" 2 Way 4 Ohm RE Series Component Set

S60 - Boston Acoustics 6.5" 2 Way Component System

DSG216 - MB Quart 6.5" 2 Way Component Speaker System

Yes, subs will be coming later this year. That will be her Christmas gift.

$300 is just for the mids. I have a amp already. I was thinking about 2 sets of comps. The list above has links but here is the names with modle numbers:

CL-S60A - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" 2-Way Component

CL-61A - CDT Audio Classic 6.5" 2-Way Component Speakers

RE6.5 COMP - RE Audio 6.5" 2 Way 4 Ohm RE Series Component Set

S60 - Boston Acoustics 6.5" 2 Way Component System

DSG216 - MB Quart 6.5" 2 Way Component Speaker System

I would find some better high end components, since you said that you wanted some of the best quality speakers earlier. Just go to the companys website that your interested in and see what are there better quality line of speakers and research them. Since you plan on throwing subs in there, just keep the speakers how they are now and when you get the subs install the components all at once. I would just buy one extra nice set of components for the front door and leave the rear deck open so you can get some of that pressure from the trunk into the cabin.

I am going to do the same setup in her car as I have in my car, since it is pretty much the same thing. 4th order in trunk firing through the rear deck. No rears, and I will probally do 1 nice set of 2 way mids or 2 half way nice sets of 2 way mids. Since my 3-way's (rainbow) are nice but don't get loud enough for me. Depending on how hers turns out I will be replacing mine with the same.

I am going to do the same setup in her car as I have in my car, since it is pretty much the same thing. 4th order in trunk firing through the rear deck. No rears, and I will probally do 1 nice set of 2 way mids or 2 half way nice sets of 2 way mids. Since my 3-way's (rainbow) are nice but don't get loud enough for me. Depending on how hers turns out I will be replacing mine with the same.

Well you ever thought about just looking for a new setup for your car and throwing what you have in your car in her's, just a thought.

Im not a fan of the lower line CDT's either. Imo opinion they just lack overall midrange presence. Never heard the RE Comps or the newer Boston Acoustics. Not sure how MB Quart is now that Maxxsonics owns them. If I were you I would look into the Focal Access line for lower end comps. http://www.woofersetc.com/p3372/165A1--Focal-Access-65"-2-Way-Component-Speakers.htm