exxd

Amplifier/Sub Ohm question

I have an old kicker 1200.1 amplifier but I'm not sure what Ohm stability it has and I'm wanting to buy an Fi BL 18" dual 1 ohm. My question is what could happen if I wired the dual 1 ohm woofer up to my amp and my amp isnt 1 ohm stable? And how can I find out if my amp is?

I have an old kicker 1200.1 amplifier but I'm not sure what Ohm stability it has and I'm wanting to buy an Fi BL 18" dual 1 ohm. My question is what could happen if I wired the dual 1 ohm woofer up to my amp and my amp isnt 1 ohm stable? And how can I find out if my amp is?

First you can't wire a dual 1 ohm sub to a 1 ohm load. A d1 can only be wired to see a .5 ohm or 2ohms. Also if the amp is the KX series than yes the amp can handle the 1ohm load, but the sub would have to be a d2.

Edited by sqjeep

You can wire 2x4 ohms to 2 or 8 ohms or run it @ 4 ohms with 2 channel amp or dual amps.

2x1 ohm will equal 0.5, 2 or 1 ohm.

2x2 ohms will equal 1, 4 or 2 ohms

wiring dual coils in series is simple just add resistance 2+2=4 ohms

wiring dual coils in parallel 1/2 + 1/2 = 1/1 it gives you 1 ohm

Edited by Sander

First you can't wire a dual 1 ohm sub to a 1 ohm load. A d1 can only be wired to see a .5 ohm or 2ohms. Also if the amp is the KX series than yes the amp can handle the 1ohm load, but the sub would have to be a d2.

yes it is a kx 1200.1 and thank for clarifying the d1 d2 situation :) will be ordering my 18" d2 to be wired down 2 ohn :)

yes it is a kx 1200.1 and thank for clarifying the d1 d2 situation :) will be ordering my 18" d2 to be wired down 2 ohn :)

That makes no sense. If you want a 2 ohm load, buy a D1 sub. If you want a 1 ohm load, buy a D2 sub.

You cant have a d2 wired at 2 ohms.

I think he just mistyped and meant 1 ohm.

here are the diagrams for dual 1 and dual 2 subs

D1 - 2ohm

1_1ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

D1 - .5ohm

1_1ohm_dvc_05ohm.gif

D2 - 1ohm

wire.gif

D2 - 4ohm

D24.gif

Edited by sqjeep

ok guys, d2 18" bl ordered and i just finished building the box. my phone is messing up atm so im unable to upload the pics of the finished box minus woofer. but here is the exact specs of what i built.

picture1c.gif

i have a question as this is the first time ive built a slot ported box....

where would be the best place to cut the hole for my woofer? right in the center of the face place? or closer to the opposite end of the port?

likethis.gif

keep the back of the sub as far away from the inside port opening as possible is what I go by.

keep the back of the sub as far away from the inside port opening as possible is what I go by.

ok thanks man!

You can wire 2x4 ohms to 2 or 8 ohms or run it @ 4 ohms with 2 channel amp or dual amps.

2x1 ohm will equal 0.5, 2 or 1 ohm.2 1 ohm coils will never be wired to a final 1 ohm load (I dont think 1 ohm to each channel counts)

2x2 ohms will equal 1, 4 or 2 ohms2 2 ohm coils will never be wired to a final 2 ohm load (" ")

wiring dual coils in parallel 1/2 + 1/2 = 1/1 it gives you 1 ohm I dont understand that either. does that mean one 2 ohm coil (1/2) and one 2ohm coil (1/2) make one 1 ohm load (1/1)

just to be clear I know what load makes what in the different wiring schemes, I was just confused with the way that last one was worded.

Doesnt make sense at all, if instead of doing 2x1, say dual 2ohms to help others who dont know what your talking about.

Doesnt make sense at all, if instead of doing 2x1, say dual 2ohms to help others who dont know what your talking about.

Im pretty sure his 2x1 meant dual 1 ohms, and 2x2 meant dual 2 ohms. either way D1 wont be 1 ohm, and a D2 wont be 2 ohm in the end.

someone told me having 1 fi 18" bl in a box with (9,3 cubes) will really slap some lows. but i was wondering will it only be good for lows or will it be good for the range of the speaker including the lows?

Edited by exxd