Sign in to follow this  
Nikuk

Car Audio goes Home

Yes, I know it's been discussed here and there on other forums.

But not here, and never indepth (at least not yet).

Because I'm very noobish to the home audio realm, I'm going to ask away :D

I have two home projects / goals.

A.) 2 or 3 way monitors for my office. I have a classic Audiologic reciever. I don't really plan on picking up an amplifier down here. This is mostly used for music & has an input from the PC sound card. Mainly background music, workout music, and occasional party music. So fidelity & output are not priorities (doesn't need to win an award, just has to sound good), neither is output. Cheapness & accuracy count.

Thinking 6.5 midwoofers LP ~2500hz, .75 tweets HP ~2500 hz. 0.5ft sealed.

B.) 3 or 4 way HT setup. I have a decent reciever, CD, etc setup. ~100rms @ 4ohm per channel (2frt, 2 rear). I will need to add on a mono plate amp, ceiling of 1kw rms @ 4 or 8 ohm. 60% HT use, 40% music.

Thinking about two front towers: (5.25" midwoofer, 4" midrange, .75 or 1" tweet). Two rear satelites (sp): (4" midrange, 0.75" tweet). Subwoofer: ((1) 15" Uber)

Questions:

Would it be worthwhile to use a cheap set of 6.5" components (with stock xover) in the office (A.)? In building two enclosures, should I shoot for 0.707 sealed?

Would it be worthwhile to use a decent set of 5.25" (to avoid beaming) components? Add on a decent 4" mid? And makeup a custom xover?

What kinda of enclosure do the 5.25 mid basses need? I've read of porting them ~60-90hz depending. Considering that the Uber will be dialed down for music, I need these to have decent output.

What's a good enclosure idea for the satelites?

Is a tweet even necesary in the satelites?

Where would I bandpass the satelites?

Umm... i suppose thats it for the moment :D

:fam25:

Why can I never find the :help: smiley?

Thanks

The biggest problem with using car audio drivers in a home audio app is that not all of them are designed for sealed or ported enclosures like you'd find in a bookshelf monitor or tower speaker. I got in touch with a tech support guy from ID when I was curious about using CX62's in an MTM, but I never got more info about it as I went the full-range route instead.

Personally, I would think it's more trouble than it's worth. Good home audio drivers are pretty cheap anyway.

yah, I'd been paging through Parts Express for raw drivers...

I've long been a casual reader @ DIYAudio's wiki forum, but that is mostly over my head still :( LoL

See, I was thinking more along the lines of car audio drivers being designed for IB type installs and have poor "on" axis response... that and I dunno if the xover designs - thaty compensate for in-car use - would work well in home (30x15 room).

But the fodder for trying this was the $35 set of components I have coming.. LoL

:(

I've done a LOT of car audio in home, from amps to speakers to subs. Just hear me out before Effendi goes flaming. Setting up a system in a home / office is a lot easier than doing it in a car. The reason is imaging can be almost <i>perfect</i> if all you need to do is aim your speakers at a chair or couch.

I recommend trying cheap 6.5" comps in the office. I did that in my room with Roadmaster 6.5"s. Imaging was key. The better you can get the imaging, the lower quality speakers you can get away with. While they're supposedly built for IB off axis use, using both can make for some nice results.

I can't recommend anything for the house. I've done that with cheap prefab surround setups that took no tweaking. However, looking at most prefab in home subs, they try to aim for the flattest possible response.