porkchop

Questions About Drivers for Laptop

I have a HP ZE4900 PC with windows xp home edition. None of my drivers are installed though. So I need to know how do I install them. I know that you need a disk but can i make it myself and if so i need info on that.

Pork Chops Daughter*

Just download what you need, put them in a place that you can find and reboot. The pc will "find" new hardware in which case you just point it at the drivers.

I dont know how to do that because with the laptop I cannot access the internet because even my modem driver is uninstalled.

Also, I do not have a reboot disk for it. So Im really behind.

PC Daughter -

There are a lot of ways to resolve this issue. First of all you will need an internet connection. As you are online posting in the forum - you already have that!

Go to HP's site - click the support&drivers tab at the top. That *should* get you here:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

if you type in "ze4900" - or whatever the exact model of your LT is it will bring up a list of about 40+ different variants of that laptop. Pick the one that is correct (ze4900, vs ze4910, or ze4901, or 4901ea, etc...)

IF it really is just the plain 'ol 4900 - and XP not Win2k:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=500513〈=en

Now - on the PC w/ internet connectivity (the one you are using now reading this) - click each of the drivers you need to download. Save them and put them on a CD or USB drive. then pop that into the laptop and execute each to install the drivers. Inside device manager (right click my computer icon, select manage, then Device Manager towards the bottom under "system tools".

each device that isn't recognized/doesn't have driver will show up with a yellow ! Triangle. right click each and say install driver to manually force them to refresh. then you can point them to the folder you installed into, or have them try a automatic scan to find the driver.

The hardest part is knowing which of the several drivers to use. (intel pro, vs. broadcom, vs. etc...)

NIC is the internal wired connection, WIreless is typically Intel or broadcom on yours. If it has the "centrino" sticker on the palmrest try the intel pro one first.

Can be a PITA - but just takes some patience. Download them all if you need to, and then go through them one at a time. Also - naming the d/l file to "Broadcom_WiFi1_sp29362.exe" instead of just d/l as sp29362.exe will help you figure out what's for what and go from ...WiFi1... to WiFi2 as you try to find the correct one.

HTH and GL!

Hey, i got a better oen for ya.. maybe.

If you don't have this done by next Saturday... Bring the laptop with you so Sunday when u are still here, i can get all your stuff installed and workin for ya and anything else to fix up your pc.

hey i appreciate the help you guys are throwing her way, ol'chop is clueless on this stuff.....

i will have her jump on here and give it all a read tomorrow....

shizzzon, we are still trying to work out the details of when, where, how, and if we are coming......

mommy seems to be a little concerned on the budget issue...

if i do manage to get this all put together, then i will definetly bring it along.

thanks so much again for all the help,

chop

well, if u need any help on the when where and how, i'm sure i can help.

Thank You for the info i am going to try and install the drivers myself. I will keep you updated on if I am succesfull or not.

well I successfully installed all the drivers except the internet one. (Special huh) I am trying to figure that one out now.

o and dad this is my account ill be fixing it up later.

i'll still fix it if i can have it for just 10minutes

Kind of hard for me to get to ky. But if i can get it down there and i cannot manage to fix it on my own tonight i will def. take you up on that offer.

well I successfully installed all the drivers except the internet one. (Special huh) I am trying to figure that one out now.

so proud^^^^ :drink40:

Nice job!

Which network are you trying to use to get online? Wired (NIC), or WiFi?

I believe it is wifi.

I tried to download every driver and all the software off of the hp site and still nothing. I need to install a network adapter. In my network connections page it only displays a local area connection and not a wireless connection so im not really sure what the problem is.I want so bad to be a computer genius right about now lol. i miss my internet dearly(we were best friends l0l.)

do this-

In the lower left portion of your keyboard, typically, there is an FN key.

Hold this key and while holding it, look for a key at the top that represents a satellite dispersing waves out.. press that key while holding FN.

If a light comes on somewhere on the keyboard or at the lower portion of the keyboard, then u have now enabled Wifi access...

It will then find your router and request a KEY (a long password) if it's protected.

U get that far, and we might have to do the rest via chatroom or by phone because the next step after that is time consuming if it is protected.

okay so i dont know that i have a satelite key. and if i do im not sure where it is located. But i do have a tv,message,earth,lock and a question mark key. I tried the earth symbol and the fn key and i got no where. Am i overlooking the key by any chance?

ok do this, tell me your brand and model number and i'll check out the keyboard layout myself.

do this while i'm researchin-

Go to my computer, or computer, right click and select properties. Then up top, select Hardware then below that, select Device Manager.

Look in this window and tell me if you see any yellow exclamation points or red x's anywhere. scroll down if u have to. there is no need to expand anything because if there is any, it will show you already expanded in the list.

ok, so if there is no yellow or red, then do this, go down to Network and expand the list in here and see if u have one of these in there-

Intel PRO

Broadcom

You should have 2 listings in network and only 2.. if u have more, u will need to type them in here

One of those 2 i just mentioned is the WLAN access driver. If u got more than 1 installed, that's bad.

If you have neither, that's bad.

okay i will go do that give me a sec. but umm i know for a fact that in my contol pannel there is a icon that says broadcom and if you click on it a box pops up and is empty completely except for a shadowed out text that says adapters.

but im gonna check the other now.

try some of these links, one of these should work for your wifi driver-

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33632.exe

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33008.exe