Sign in to follow this  
ener.g

wtf just happened

just crusin didnt even make it off my street sub up like half way.. sub cuts out, amps not in protect, no sound whatsoever out of the sub...

pull out the DMM.. 2.1 ohms resistance at the wires out the sub (my dual 1 BTL in series)

ok.. sub is not blown?

set to voltage..

check the outputs on the amp got fluctuation in voltage with music on, unplug the RCAs voltlage stops fluctuating.. so i figure I'm getting signal from the amp, from the headunit, to the sub... where the hell is my problem I'm stumped..

Dual 1 ohm 18" BTL in 6.7 cubes@31hz in series to 2ohms

Hifonics XX-Cyclops wired to 2 ohms ~3KW RMS

been running it this way for about 2 years maybe longer.. didnt change anything in the way the sub was being used

double check your fuses

checked the fuses.. all ok... was the first thought then stopped because my interior speakers are still working..

were the wires still connected to the sub when u pulled it out? i have had my wires fall out of my sub b4...

only thing you can really do is check every wire and its connection. there is no movement from woofer at all? I mean no vibration or anything? if so sounds like signal stops at the amp, and you could have a problem with your amp.

Use a 1.5 volt battery (AA, C, D, etc) and test each coil.

Just add a couple of pieces of wire to the terminals, hold the negative to the battery, and pop the positive a few times and see if anything happens.

That is a quick test to make sure the coils are not open (like a broken lead).

Brian

Hook either another amp up to the sub in home or car, that will tell you if its the subwoofer or amp.

pulled out the subs found one of the tinsels broken.. dont know how to explain having 2.1 ohms of resistance.. oh well recone on the way

thanks for the replies..

why would tinsel leads change the resistance of the coil? not really surprised that's the issue, but glad you got it figured out

why would tinsel leads change the resistance of the coil? not really surprised that's the issue, but glad you got it figured out

broken lead would = open in circuit .. shouldnt have had an ohm reading.

open circuit? all the lead does is connect the vc to the amp. and you don't have to have an amp hooked up to a speaker to get an ohm reading, that resistance will always be there, it's a reading off the coil, has nothing to do with amp/or tinsel leads for that matter.

open circuit? all the lead does is connect the vc to the amp. and you don't have to have an amp hooked up to a speaker to get an ohm reading, that resistance will always be there, it's a reading off the coil, has nothing to do with amp/or tinsel leads for that matter.

exactly so when its broken off the terminal.. and the leads are hooked up to the terminals there is an open between the voice coil and the terminals..

I just explained why that doesn't matter. the tinsel leads connect the speaker wire (amplifier) to the voice coil. the resistance on the voice doesn't go away when it is not wired to an amplifier, therefore wouldn't go away just cause a tinsel lead isn't there. understand?

btldiag.jpg

hooked up to the leads outside the box, look at the pic.. lol easier to explain

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

the damage.. ~2 years of about 3500 watts rms .. cant complain .. lol

solder that tinsil lead back to the terminal and keep banging on it untill it dies then recone .

eyah i think this guy just doesnt know what a tinsel lead is.....

anyhow do the battery pop test like brian said.

Edited by iamamp3pimp

I just explained why that doesn't matter. the tinsel leads connect the speaker wire (amplifier) to the voice coil. the resistance on the voice doesn't go away when it is not wired to an amplifier, therefore wouldn't go away just cause a tinsel lead isn't there. understand?

Are you serious. The tinsel lead closes the circuit from the voice coil to the DMM. Without it you have an open circuit.

Scott, have you hooked the DMM up to the other voice coil that didn't have the broken tinsel? What did it read?

resistance on the other coil was .9 ohms when i tested right at the terminals..

i did solder the tinsel back on but i had like 3.4ohms resistance on that side and .9 on the other so i dont want to fuck the amp up and play it.. new cone is on the way

lol, all I am saying is a broken tinsel lead doesn't change the resistance of the coil. which is what was originally stated. testing the resistance AT THE COIL will still show the actual resistance of the woofer. Yes, of course wired in series and testing at the terminal it would be hard to get a reading...

Sign in to follow this