Sign in to follow this  
Estsound

idle drop, ??

The story is, i start my car let it idle and warm up. When i start listening music, then car idle drops ? :ehh: is my system taking that much power so it drops my car idle ? Or how can i fix that problem?

The added load makes the alternator work harder, which in turn creates more resistance for the belt, which bogs down the engine as it lacks the umph to keep the belt going the same speed with the added resistance.

But it could also just be normal warm up period? Your idle will be slightly higher right after startup and last for a few minutes (longer if its colder weather) as the engine warms up.

i dont think a load will make any more resistance on a motor as its not like a a/c compresser where its pumping a piston its only a brush spinngin inside of a case.....dig it?

but most cars do have a higher idel untill its warmed up... IE the idel air control along with the EGR those work somwhat in couple to make your F.I car stay running in a cold state.

i know that car has higher idle when you start it up, and it gets lower when engine is warmed up.

i start my car let it idle and warm up

my car normal idle is 650-700rpm, so its ideling at 700rpm, and when bass starts hitting i can see tacho go down and hear difference in egnine sound.

do u drive an older model honda?

do u drive an older model honda?

I am driving with BMW E34, 520i, 1995

my car does the same thing...it does add a resistance to ur engine, if u follow ur gas mileage closely and listen to ur music turned up loud alot u will notice ur gas mileage go down.

high output alternators can pull in excess of 10hp away from your engine.

I can't have the alt on my car wide open with the AC on or the engine will start to act like it's misfiring.

when its hot out, my temp raises on mt engine when i play bass 4 more than 3 minutes

Get a V8, problem will be solved. ;)

What does your electrical look like? Like what upgrades do you have?

that has nothing to do with it!

I got a 4 cylinder and i dont have temp or drag problems.

I'm not mechanical savvy but that's not the reason and i know i don't have the best 4cyl engine either.

that has nothing to do with it!

I got a 4 cylinder and i dont have temp or drag problems.

I'm not mechanical savvy but that's not the reason and i know i don't have the best 4cyl engine either.

Wow someone is getting all jumpy over nothing. :-/

well thats the only time it does it. i turn the subs down n the temp drops

well thats the only time it does it. i turn the subs down n the temp drops

The temp drops as soon as you turn it down, or is there a delay?

i don't want people to think that they can't have a power hungry setup on a 4 cylinder because that is what you imply about going to a V8.

i dont know what's wrong... i'm sure getting any new car will fix the problem but there is something wrong with the current setup for it to be raising temps.

That's a new one.

i think its just the extra stress put on the motor...

i don't want people to think that they can't have a power hungry setup on a 4 cylinder because that is what you imply about going to a V8.

i dont know what's wrong... i'm sure getting any new car will fix the problem but there is something wrong with the current setup for it to be raising temps.

That's a new one.

I was just messing with him :(

oh, well then u like me then, hehe. I don't get to see u post as often as others in threads i read so i gotta remember you, hehe. Well, at least i found another person with some good humor~

Did some research and idle drop is coming from alternator, also BMW's come with pretty good output alts, thats why i noticed idle drop.

Might be worth putting a DMM on the alternator or battery to see if there is much voltage drop.