Sign in to follow this  
Pietro

Easily Removable Subwoofer?

Hello All,

I'm relatively new to this and i've begun to build up my first system in my 2008 Chevy Cobalt Coupe. I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT, and the speakers with Infinity Reference series. I'm looking to add a subwoofer to the system but I have a constraint. I'm an avid mountain biker and I transport my bike in the trunk often (Bike rack won't fit over the spoiler). I either need a subwoofer that's easily removable, or something that fits tight against the side of the trunk (requiring a custom box?).

My first choice is to get an integrated subwoofer/amplifier so I can easily remove it when I need the space (something like a Bazooka Tube). Are any of these systems good quality? If not, what other options would I have?

Generally the all-in-one systems from low- and mid-end manufacturers are generally not great (Bazooka, etc).

What type of bass are you looking for? Ground-pounder loud or just something to fill out the bottom end?

If you are just looking for something to fill out the bottom end without being overbearing, and myself being completely unfamiliar with the trunk of a Cobalt or how much room your mountain bike takes up, I might suggest you investigate an IB setup. No enclosure taking up trunk space...it might be possible to locate the subwoofer somewhere under the rear shelf firing up into the cabin in a location that is out of your mountain bike's way. Hide the amplifier elsewhere in the trunk and you'd have a system that takes up little to no trunk space and you wouldn't have to worry about removing/reinstalling anything.

Letting us know how much space you have would be helpful also some pics would be nice.

If you don't mind rigging it you could mount your amp somewhere then just take your box out when you need to, but once again im unfamiliar with your trunk space.

Maybe an IB setup in the rear deck. Then there's no worry about removing the sub and box, it'll always be out of the way.

EDIT: ^^ I guess I should read the entire thread before posting. :(

Edited by rmzsuzuki89

I listen to mostly rock with a little bit of rap and electronic. For the most part I'm looking for clear/crisp bass. This is especially true of the rock, as i would like to feel individual drum beats instead of just a muffled drone (if that makes any sense). Ground-shaking power would be nice but not necessary. My friend has a powerful system and its nice to listen to in all its glory, but it gets annoying after a while (then again, this may just be because the system isn't properly tuned/balanced). Keep in mind that my speakers aren't amplified, so I don't want my sub to overpower them.

Having said that, I have heard that IB systems aren't necessarily known for having crisp bass... I'm thinking of just going with a traditional setup with a ported box, as I guess it wouldn't be that hard to just take the box out and leave the amp in when i need the space. I'm also thinking that it would be a good idea to take the sub out when I'm transporting the bike to make sure that when things shift around a pedal doesn't go through the cone.

I'll probably stick my bike in my trunk and take some pics tonight so you guys have a better idea of the space i'm dealing with.

You could always hide an amp and use banana clips to take the sub out quickly. We've done similar installs at work before. Flush Mount on a side, the use banana clips to pull a sub quickly.

a box should be super easy to remove if you build with a terminal cup in it. All i have to do to remove mine is unhook the speaker wire then lift it out. So as long as your box isn't shoehorned in there or bolted down you should be fine.

fiberglass a box in the trunk like behind the wheel well. im not sure if there are any build threads on this site. but i have one form a j-body site i go on: click it

thats what i would suggest to you

Having said that, I have heard that IB systems aren't necessarily known for having crisp bass...

Not sure who told you that, but it's completely false.

Most ported enclosures you see in car audio will have much less "crisp bass" than a good woofer IB. Granted, the IB won't have as much output as ported...but my single 12" subwoofer IB sounds fantastic and has more output than I'll ever use.