ChristianMcKay

How deep does a box need to be?

Does a box have a certain amount of air space behind it or does it not matter as long as it fits?

Ive heard up give up to 4-5" from back wall and sub or port and back wall but then I heard just as long as the subs have room (for example a 1/4" from back wall) they will be ok. So Im curious to see whats myth and whats truth.

Yeah, I heard the same thing except it said 2". I think the only solution is to do a TL test on a sub that is 4-5" deep behind the sub and then put it in a box with the same cubic feet except it only has 1/4" behind the sub.

If the sub doesn't have a vented pole piece it doesn't matter. You can basically have the motor right up against the back wall of the enclosure. But if it has a vented pole it's best to leave a couple inches behind the sub. That vented pole needs to be able to expend air easily, otherwise it creates back pressure inside the motor and forces the air out somewhere else that it wasn't necessarily designed to go, which may cause noise.

Well, I'm going to noob it up and ask how you know if it has a vented pole piece.

A Vented pole piece is a "hole" at the bottom of you're sub, where you're motor is.

General rule of thumb is pole vent diameter from back wall. ie 0" vent is okay at 0" etc...